Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 05:41 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,460 times

Advertisements

So...I had an interview this morning and it was a total disaster! I got lost on the way there and had to call for directions. They didn't know where the office was, so I just drove around forever until I finally found it. Serious. They couldn't give me directions. I was 20 minutes late.

I went into the conference room and there was only one person. She said we were waiting for the other woman. We stared at each other for 10 minutes and she didn't talk to me. Just stared me down while we waited. AWKWARD! I tried to make small talk and she glared at me.

They started by asking me "Tell me about yourself". So I was a smarty-pants and asked what do you want to know, specifically? I mean, come on people!! It got worse... Here is a sample (keep in mind that this is a meeting planner position to do real estate seminars)

THEY: So, do you do sports stuff?
ME: Yes, I have planned many sports events, NASCAR, FBR, bowling, golf...
THEY: No, you. Do YOU do sports?
ME: (blank stare) (confusion) (long pause) Are you asking me if I PLAY sports? You want to know if I'm athletic?
THEY: Yes
ME: Uh...what do you mean? Like, when I was in school? That was 12 years ago.
THEY: Yes, just anything. Do you do sports?
ME: (long pause) (confused look) Uh...well I watch sports but I don't play. I guess I prefer to leave that to the professionals.
THEY: (make a note on a pad) okay, so what are your hobbies then?
ME: My hobbies? Are you kidding? (pause) I like movies and music.
THEY: (making more notes) What kind of movies?

And this just goes on and on. Total nonsense. So then they drop the bomb. It pays $40K. Hmmm...oh yeah and we need you to start Sunday. (Uh...today is Thursday). Oh yeah and we do a 100 hour work week. So you can start Sunday and you don't mind long hours right? I thought I misheard so I asked them if it was 100 hours attending the event? No, this was just on a regular week.

So I stood up and said thank you for your time and walked out. I feel like I'm in the twilight zone with interviews lately. Maybe it's me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2008, 08:08 PM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,685,220 times
I'm sorry, but your account of the interview made me chuckle! Maybe the interviewers were nervous? 100 hour work week for $40K?? Unbelievable!

Old 07-31-2008, 08:49 PM

You know what else I just remembered? I told them I liked working in a professional environment.

...They asked me to define "professional". Girl, if I have to explain that concept, I think you just answered my question!

Truth be told, I told my husband the story when he got home from work and I laughed as I told him. At the time, I was dumbstruck, but now I think it's pretty funny.

And yes, they were serious about a 100 hour work week. They said all the managers worked really hard. But who in the heck? What? Why?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:09 PM

763 posts, read 2,261,105 times
I'm a believer in long hours, but unless this job would lead to something much better, I wouldn't do it for that price. That's less than minimum wage if you count OT. Were there other perks or benefits?

Old 07-31-2008, 11:40 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
She lied, was being sarcastic, and didn't want you to continue there....basic rudeness and mind manipulation imo.

Old 08-01-2008, 01:16 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,236,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
She lied, was being sarcastic, and didn't want you to continue there....basic rudeness and mind manipulation imo.
Sounds like that very well could have been the case.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:39 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Oh no, you are not alone. I interviewed with 2 doozies this week. One just really sarcastic... come on, stop playing the games and interview me for chrissakes... and what is with all these "psychological" questions? They suck -and you know they're NOT going to like what you say no matter WHAT you say.
And the other just wasn't prepared for the interview. And he got insulted that I knew more about the business than he did.

And one of these was for a temp job. NOT 5 years ago, temping was just, send me in, I'll do the job. If you don't like how I do the job, send me off. NOW you have to interview before temping?! What's with that new trend?

I am getting SO tired of interviewing after 3+ months - I am about to take a retail job just so I don't have to interview anymore. Just fill out the app, show up, work your *** off, they give you a check and regular raises. I wouldn't mind this, it is just that they all make you work every weekend .

Old 08-01-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
I'm a believer in long hours, but unless this job would lead to something much better, I wouldn't do it for that price. That's less than minimum wage if you count OT. Were there other perks or benefits?
I didn't get that far! I walked out because I just knew we were wasting each other's time at that point.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Prey tell;what is your profession. maybe it has to do with the peole in that field.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,336,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny AZ View Post
Hmmm...oh yeah and we need you to start Sunday. (Uh...today is Thursday). Oh yeah and we do a 100 hour work week. So you can start Sunday and you don't mind long hours right?
This is the essence of the interview: they are freakin' desperate. They need someone - ANYONE - like, yesterday, they don't have anywhere near enough people to handle the workload they've got now, at least one and possibly multiple people just quit on them and they've got a commitment in four days that they don't have the staff to cover.

You did the right thing walking out; the one I feel sorry for was the one who was desperate enough to stay and take that offer, 'cause you know that eventually someone did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search