Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 11:39 AM

1,141 posts, read 3,546,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
So I guess that means you were not doing what you are suggesting if you got laid off? Were you a clock watcher? Didn't perform well? Let me guess, co-workers didn't like you?

Layoffs are all about expense reduction and cost savings. It doesn't matter how many hours you put in or how much you are liked by your co-workers. If they need to cut costs, they will cut people. Plain and simple.
That's not true. We had a lay off, and they laid off one of our co-workers, mainly because everyone totally disliked her and she was mean.
The stated it was a lay off however within 2 weeks my dept put out job postings for 3 jobs. 2 of the 3 jobs are exactly what the "laid off" ahem fired co worker was doing.

They laid her off simply because she was an A@@
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 11:46 AM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
That's not true. We had a lay off, and they laid off one of our co-workers, mainly because everyone totally disliked her and she was mean.
The stated it was a lay off however within 2 weeks my dept put out job postings for 3 jobs. 2 of the 3 jobs are exactly what the "laid off" ahem fired co worker was doing.

They laid her off simply because she was an
A@@
Yup that's what happend to a woman last year, she was laid off because she wasn't well liked. In my case I was laid off for my performance and was told by the boss when he brings me back I need to start paying attention to detail. I don't think a boss does something like that for a employee he doesn't like.

Old 03-28-2009, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Which certainly limits some potential employment opportunities.

Maybe, maybe not. For one thing when gas was 4.00 a gallon it was getting expensive to go on "maybe we will be hiring sometime" type interviews.

Baby sitters, gas, etc cost an unemployed worker money they sometimes just don't have. There are two ways to look at everything.

I personally was without a job 3 months, from the time I got up till early evening all I did was try and network with the 10 or so people I actually knew (new town) asked family to help with suggestions, read the internet for postings, went to the unemployment bureau (DAILY) to use their fax (it was free to anyone unemployed) and look through their postings...yes I was busy pretty much all day.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe, maybe not. For one thing when gas was 4.00 a gallon it was getting expensive to go on "maybe we will be hiring sometime" type interviews.

Baby sitters, gas, etc cost an unemployed worker money they sometimes just don't have. There are two ways to look at everything.

I personally was without a job 3 months, from the time I got up till early evening all I did was try and network with the 10 or so people I actually knew (new town) asked family to help with suggestions, read the internet for postings, went to the unemployment bureau (DAILY) to use their fax (it was free to anyone unemployed) and look through their postings...yes I was busy pretty much all day.

And that was point, money is too tight for a "MAYBE WE WILL HIRE INTERVIEW". Haircuts are not free, riding the bus is not free, and taking my clothes to the cleaners is not free.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Bad Credit should only be affecting a person who is trying to get a Finance position right?
Well unfortunately that's not the case anymore. Some employers want a crystal clean credit check for any kind of job. Up to the employer but personally I feel it's uncalled for when one is not working in the finance area (which I do work in btw). The two co workers at work that told me they failed the credit checks, yet got hired, are in the financial end of our company. So go figure...I can't figure out why some got hired with bad credit that should have had good credit to get the job, and why some with bad credit didn't get hired and the job had nothing to do with money.

You know I've been working for 40 years (35 years at one company) I started working at 17, and still to this day I can not figure out employers, and I absolutely can not stand HR people and even more...the people who do interviews...I get sick of the "I hold your life in my hands" attitude.

HR people, Bankers, and mortgage companies are right there on my list of the used car sales person....generally someone I'd never want to be friends with.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Annerk, you should read TVGuy's other threads before you try to talk common sense to him, you will realize it's just a lost cause and a waste of your time.

The reason he doesn't apply to jobs on careerbuilder or monster is because he is not qualified for the jobs listed there and he feels as if he is "better" than the rest of the people that are unemployed, which is why he refuses to use any of the more commercialized forms of job hunting.

I too, was unemployed for about 3 months and it took me 2 months to find a new job (I took 1 month off to plan for my wedding). I was on every job site daily, careerbuilder, monster, efinancialcareers, etc. Any job where I met even 1 of the requirements, I applied to - which was probably 20-30 jobs daily. I also went to company websites and applied to jobs there directly as well (something else that TVGuy refuses to do because it's a waste of his time).

And what did this get me? For about 6 weeks, I had a interview on 4 days of the 5 day week. Going to interviews were pretty much a full-time job for me. There were some companies that I was not particularly interested in, and some jobs that I didn't want to do - but I still accepted the interview and went. I believed any job was better than staying at home doing nothing and it put my name in the company in case other positions opened up. One company I interviewed for, which was a top-tier investment bank, I didn't get the position - but they called me back for 2 other positions a couple of weeks later because they were impressed, and both positions weren't posted yet. If I didn't go to the first interview, I never would've been called for the next 2.

2 months later, I was lucky enough to receive 2 offers in the same week, and I had the luxury to choose which one I wanted. The following week, I received a 3rd offer for one of the positions I interviewed for in the investment bank, which I declined because I already accepted a job.

To this day, I still get calls from recruiters and employers regarding my resume they seen posted on careerbuilder and/or monster. If I followed your advice, I'd probably still be unemployed, thinking of new ways to network for April.

Yeah but....as an observation? You both come off with really bad holier than thou attitudes. How wonderful for you recruiters still call you...well I get that too from career builder etc...know why? it's not because you or I are all that, it's just something recruiters do. I mean come on my resume was posted 3 years ago.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:29 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Yup that's what happend to a woman last year, she was laid off because she wasn't well liked. In my case I was laid off for my performance and was told by the boss when he brings me back I need to start paying attention to detail. I don't think a boss does something like that for a employee he doesn't like.
Any where I've ever worked, you don't get "laid-off" for performance--that's called getting fired. My guess is that the chances of you getting called back are zilch--especially in this market when they can hire someone without "performance" issues.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:

OK, so you had the gas and paid the babysitter so you could go to the unemployment bureau, but wouldn't go on an interview? That makes no sense.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Well unfortunately that's not the case anymore. Some employers want a crystal clean credit check for any kind of job. Up to the employer but personally I feel it's uncalled for when one is not working in the finance area (which I do work in btw). The two co workers at work that told me they failed the credit checks, yet got hired, are in the financial end of our company. So go figure...I can't figure out why some got hired with bad credit that should have had good credit to get the job, and why some with bad credit didn't get hired and the job had nothing to do with money.

You know I've been working for 40 years (35 years at one company) I started working at 17, and still to this day I can not figure out employers, and I absolutely can not stand HR people and even more...the people who do interviews...I get sick of the "I hold your life in my hands" attitude.

HR people, Bankers, and mortgage companies are right there on my list of the used car sales person....generally someone I'd never want to be friends with.
One of the reasons they want good credit is that it reflects on a persons level of responsibility. Responsible people pay their bills on time. Irresponsible people don't. Yes, I know, we all know someone who fell on bad times through no fault of their own (serious illness for example) but overall the thought is that the more responsibly a person maintains their personal life, the more responsible they will be as an employee. It's the same concept with car insurance and driving records. There is a direct corelation between poor credit and bad drivers.

Old 03-28-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Any where I've ever worked, you don't get "laid-off" for performance--that's called getting fired. My guess is that the chances of you getting called back are zilch--especially in this market when they can hire someone without "performance" issues.

I did because he like me to much to fire me so he made it seem like a layoff. If he didn't like me he would have called me in his office and said-"I have to let you because you cost this company too money"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search