Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 01:48 PM

222 posts, read 779,588 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I have a question about offers.
How do they usually done..by phone, email?
I am interested to know how big companies do that.
Just curious..
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 01:57 PM

145 posts, read 301,672 times
It is up to the company policy but most will call first and if you are not there they will give you a email the only thing that is worry some about that is most company's will only wait 24hrs after the email for a reply before moving to the next possible person.

Old 04-08-2009, 01:59 PM

Default offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarris View Post
It is up to the company policy but most will call first and if you are not there they will give you a email the only thing that is worry some about that is most company's will only wait 24hrs after the email for a reply before moving to the next possible person.
In terms of waiting time, I guess it depands on what kind of candadate and what kind of position..
thank you for your response though

Old 04-08-2009, 02:12 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Obviously, I can't speak for all companies - but all of the companies I've received offers from (all of which were large companies), were done via the phone first. Usually a call from HR to tell me they have decided to extend a offer to me and whether I would be interested in accepting. They would also tell me the details like the salary, vacation days, etc.

Personally, for me - I would not officially accept anything unless I see it in writing. I would verbally accept the role, and ask them to send me the offer in writing. They will usually put a "offer package" together and overnight it to me to review, which includes the official offer letter stating the salary and title of the position, and benefits info.

Last edited by danameless; 04-08-2009 at 03:30 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 02:14 PM

Default offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post
Obviously, I can't speak for all companies - but all of the companies I've received offers from (all of which were large companies), were done via the phone first. Usually a call from HR to tell me they have decided to extend a offer to me and whether I would be interested in accepting. They would also tell me the details like the salary, vacation days, etc.

Personally, for me - I would not officially accept anything unless I see it in writing. I would verbally accept the role, and ask them to send me the office in writing. They will usually put a "offer package" together and overnight it to me to review, which includes the official offer letter stating the salary and title of the position, and benefits info.
Thank you for your response.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
My current job called me, offered me the position and asked if I could come in to go over hiring procedures/salary requirements/benefits etc. before we signed the paperwork. It was GREAT because most people are so excited to be offered a job they don't notice if everyone in the office looks miserable, if the benefits are terrible and if it would be a good fit.

I went in, met a bunch of the employees, the CEO and both my managers (in accounting and maintenance) then took me to lunch so we could chat and get to know eachother. We then signed the 'official' offer and I started the next week. I wish all companies were like that.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:47 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danameless View Post

Personally, for me - I would not officially accept anything unless I see it in writing. I would verbally accept the role, and ask them to send me the offer in writing. They will usually put a "offer package" together and overnight it to me to review, which includes the official offer letter stating the salary and title of the position, and benefits info.

Generally speaking, ditto. My current employer I didn't get a letter, they are a smaller company and it's very much a verbal agreement and a handshake type of industry. I know this, so I went with the flow. My paychecks have been arriving and for the correct amount, so it's all good.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:22 PM

931 posts, read 3,803,449 times
Phone first. Then they confirm the offer by sending a letter.

Old 04-08-2009, 06:35 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,638,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
My paychecks have been arriving and for the correct amount, so it's all good.
At the end of the day, this is really all that matters...

Old 04-14-2009, 10:02 AM

Default Offers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My current job called me, offered me the position and asked if I could come in to go over hiring procedures/salary requirements/benefits etc. before we signed the paperwork. It was GREAT because most people are so excited to be offered a job they don't notice if everyone in the office looks miserable, if the benefits are terrible and if it would be a good fit.

I went in, met a bunch of the employees, the CEO and both my managers (in accounting and maintenance) then took me to lunch so we could chat and get to know eachother. We then signed the 'official' offer and I started the next week. I wish all companies were like that.
I have one more question..probably HR people here will know..
Am I correct assuming the following?
A Co will not give rejections until someone will accept the offer..Then, they will let the rest know that they do not get a job..
How does it really work???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search