Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 09:34 PM

18 posts, read 116,755 times

Advertisements

In my experience in corporate america, if a firm is truly interested in hiring someone they'll make an offer immediately. For all of my job offers that I've ever received they've been made within 48 hours of the final interview regardless of how many other interviews were claimed to be scheduled or pending. Should one believe that he is still in the running a week or two or even a month after the final interview? This question is mainly directed towards current and former hiring managers and human resources professionals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,636,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 2011 View Post
In my experience in corporate america, if a firm is truly interested in hiring someone they'll make an offer immediately. For all of my job offers that I've ever received they've been made within 48 hours of the final interview regardless of how many other interviews were claimed to be scheduled or pending. Should one believe that he is still in the running a week or two or even a month after the final interview? This question is mainly directed towards current and former hiring managers and human resources professionals.

What type of job are you applying for? It would be helpful if you say what the job is.

I can tell you in my world-- hiring managers can never present the offer. That is HR. Period.

Also-- generally speaking in my world, we do panel interviews. The higher the position is-- the more difficult it is to get the relevant people to interview the candidate. No one can promise the candidate a position--

Typically at the levels my area hires for- they have to look at a few things and the salary negotiation is longer-- so no one is going to call up and say, "We want to hire you! An offer will come at some point"

Managers have to work with HR-- they can discuss what they would like to pay, but generally HR and compensation work together to develop the package.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Job offer timelines varies based upon the type of position, industry and even internal variables within the company. Yes, private industry tends to move at a much faster pace than civil service/government/public industries but even larger companies can have periods of delays when it comes to offering candidates jobs.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:50 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Someone I know went in for a job interview and was offered a job the following day pending a drug and background check.

Granted, it only paid $11 an hour plus bonuses, so perhaps they're not as fussy as someone paying a higher wage. But, she said it provided full benefits after 90 days and was an 8 to 4:30 job, 40 hrs a week.

I believe its an inside sales associate position.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:53 PM

22 posts, read 97,929 times
This is interesting to me.

I went on a job interview last week and was told before the interview even beganj that they had interviews throughout the week, and would then be contacting the top candidates "probably" this coming week. I'm not really vying for a "corporate" job, so maybe my situation is different.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:48 AM

4,796 posts, read 22,899,264 times
In my line of work, it typically takes a week to ten days to assemble a formal offer after the decision has been made. During the summer it's closer to ten because people involved are sometimes on vacation. The decision is usually made as soon as the last candidate has been interviewed, or within 24 hours.

So I would say typically you should assume that after a week or two you are still in the running, unless the employer has specifically given you a shorter time frame.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM

22 posts, read 65,901 times
I accepted a position at a pretty big corp. I got the job offer the same day of the interview while I was commuting home. I was really surprised on how quickly they got back to me. I don't think that's the norm but I guess if the company's really interested you'd hear from them really quickly(within a week). At least that seems to be the case for a lot of other people I know.

Old 06-12-2011, 01:08 PM

22 posts, read 97,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodaka View Post
In my line of work, it typically takes a week to ten days to assemble a formal offer after the decision has been made. During the summer it's closer to ten because people involved are sometimes on vacation. The decision is usually made as soon as the last candidate has been interviewed, or within 24 hours.

So I would say typically you should assume that after a week or two you are still in the running, unless the employer has specifically given you a shorter time frame.
What I don't understand is why it takes a week to ten days for an offer to be made if the decision is usually made shortly after the last interview. What takes so long? It just makes me anxious. I interviewed for a job at the beginning of last week, but the other interviews were going through the end of the week, so that leaves me with an extra long time to wait. Do you think if they choose me, I'd be contacted this week? Again, I just don't understand why it would take until the next week (not this coming week, but the week after that) for me to hear back. Is it right for me to be worried if I don't hear back this week?

Old 06-12-2011, 02:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I make the decisions but HR makes the call, and they do the reference check first. We'll make the offer the same or next day if we reached at least two references by then. If those are both good we can skip the 3rd.
I would say most are withing 24 hours, 2 business days if there's a weekend in between. Still, things happen, so it could take longer. If it's been a week you can probably expect a call or letter that you were not selected.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:27 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluM View Post
What I don't understand is why it takes a week to ten days for an offer to be made if the decision is usually made shortly after the last interview. What takes so long? It just makes me anxious. I interviewed for a job at the beginning of last week, but the other interviews were going through the end of the week, so that leaves me with an extra long time to wait. Do you think if they choose me, I'd be contacted this week? Again, I just don't understand why it would take until the next week (not this coming week, but the week after that) for me to hear back. Is it right for me to be worried if I don't hear back this week?
Usually they have to do background and reference checks. I received my offer in 5 buiness days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search