Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:15 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
So your husband never developed any contacts during his time making $70,000? Just seems strange someone would have t settle for Walmart with his salary history and education background
Like your networking got you a job? NOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2009, 08:17 AM

256 posts, read 894,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolly View Post
Yes, after my husband lost his 70 thousand dollar a year job, the only thing he could get hired at was as a wal-mart greeter. A Master's degree and 20 years experience but could only get on at Wal mart. Something is really wrong in our society with the way we view age and value.

Seems like any Wal-mart door greeter is close to retirement anyway. Does he really need that job?

Old 07-18-2009, 08:49 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Like your networking got you a job? NOT.
I didn't step one foot near Walmart-lol

Old 07-18-2009, 08:50 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Lady123 View Post
Hubby who is 55 started a new job 2 weeks ago and told me tonight the plant is moving to NY next year so of course we are worried. Back in 07 he lost his job due to a plant closure after working there for 12 years and now this. Alot of places just want the young bloods now and it's not fair!!
I can understand that where a job takes 5 to 10 years job training if you are a trainee. I am approaching 61, not sure when/if I will retire (will probably go part time) and in finding someone to replace me I wanted to look at the under 40 age group with preference on the under 30.

As far as seasoned wokers the best employee would be someone > age 65 because you do not have to deal with the added huge expense of medical insurance.which, for someone age 60, can be higher than a kite.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:01 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,943,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Family_Guy27 View Post
Seems like any Wal-mart door greeter is close to retirement anyway. Does he really need that job?
Probably so.

Like most of us.

Reasons are many, as we were told to pay into IRA's etc many of us where in our peak earning years sending one, two or three of our kids to college. A lot of my money, over six figures, was paid to various colleges. I do not begrudge we did this my kids were the best investment I ever made but just saying I would have had a couple hundred thousand extra in the retirement coffer if I had done differently.

What money I did have in IRA's got clobbered to the tune of 40% though some has come back.

Those of us who can will continue to work longer, to age 70, to make that extra 32% in social security or take a wal mart job. At age 66 (not far away for me) my wife and I will have a combined retirement income of around $2,800 per month but if we put it off just four years that income will be nearly $4,000 per month.

$2,800 might sound like a lot but two people in their late 60's better plan for $600 per month in added medical expenses just to be on the safe side plus bear in mind you will lose a third of your income should you lose a spouse.

Working later isn't an option for many it is, or will become, a necessity. That extra $800 per month can mean the difference between bare survival and living.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,072,805 times
Quote:
I didn't step one foot near Walmart-lol
I doubt they would have hired you. You don't have the personality to be a greeter.

Old 07-18-2009, 09:42 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,042,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I doubt they would have hired you. You don't have the personality to be a greeter.
That's Good

Old 07-18-2009, 10:56 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,530,240 times
Quote:
So your husband never developed any contacts during his time making $70,000? Just seems strange someone would have t settle for Walmart with his salary history and education background
a lot of those jobs are gone now... all this unemployment isn't coming from walmart and mcdonalds, they are coming from jobs that were already competitive and hard to come by. Now there just aren't any. And the jobs out there are getting 500-1000 resumes sent in for them. Sometimes it is hard to take a step backward once you are making that much, you get the overqualified thing. Maybe somebody with super high turnover doesn't care though, in this case walmart. But other office jobs will.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:10 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Default Think Again

It's no conspiracy...this is an attempt to eliminate the Middle Class.
Separate us into the have's and the have not's.
Separate us into the controllers and the controlled.

We have become a nation of fast food employees and Walmart "associates." And, I don't mean to put down ANYONE who works at Walmart. I know they are trying to earn a living. But I am concerned that this is what is around for employment.

Where are the big expert economists? Why aren't they blasting this government, who so boldly steps in to FIX it all, and they can't?

Why isn't anyone really outraged? Where are the die-hard patriots of this nation? Why is everyone so afraid?

THEY spend our money.

And how come no one looks at the past and what worked. All you hear now is how "this isn't 1965 anymore."
But something worked back then. We had real manufacturing here, with jobs from the top management, to white collar, to blue collar, to the guy who came and brought the coffee refills for the machines on Monday mornings.

We had Mom & Pop stores, just a colloquialism for family-owned businesses. Yeah, they were hard to get ahead in, but something worked, because we had LOTS of something we don't have now, which are LIVABLE WAGE JOBS WITH BENEFITS.

I mean real living wages, where you could live off of them, whether you were college-educated or not.

And no one told anyone who didn't have a college-degree that they couldn't do anything.

I had an uncle who became a VP after working his way to the top. He started out as a teen sweeping the floor of an industrial corporation. I remember my aunt and uncle driving me by the place when I was a kid, and it was all meaningless to me, I didn't really care, I didn't understand. But I do now. NOW, I know why they drove by and proudly told me that "This is where Uncle John works!" Because with no college degree, my uncle worked his way to the top by learning the business.

Try that now, no one cares. They wouldn't care if someone had the smarts.

And so many college degreed people are out of work. Or, working at Walmart.

This nation better wake up, because our government, who isn't supposed to have its greedy hands in all of this, has betrayed us. It wasn't one party...it wasn't the Republicans. It wasn't the Democrats. It was ALL of them. They let our jobs go overseas. They let more and more people in this nation, and we didn't even have enough jobs for the citizens here. They let a huge illegal immigrant welfare class of millions and millions to develop, supported by the taxpayer's dollars.
Oh, I know I am going to be hit with the "racist" thing, but heck, if the majority ARE coming from one place, then that's factual, and I don't care if they came from Mars, it's still wrong.

Wake up folks. Because this isn't what we once had, and it's being taken away from us. And for those who think what happened in other nations can't happen here, think again. It can.

Old 07-18-2009, 06:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,517,568 times
Everyone is so fixed on ME ME ME that they don't see what is happening. They don’t care to be well versed in current events or politics for the simple reason that they enjoy being 100% focused on their own lives and almost feel “burdened” to have to concern themselves with the rest of the world. Freedom disappearing is something I think we are at least starting to see more and more every day. For so many years now there have been all of the folks that say it’s going to happen, saying it’s too late etc… But now, even the uncaring are starting to see problems. Those of us who are strong in our personal convictions and ready to handle the change and deal with it effectively are going to be the ones that are mentally prepared for the proverbial “what if it gets worse” question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Job Search