Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 04:01 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
when will this horrible, painful exile the Jewish people are in come to and end?
The answer is obvious.

The "exile" will end when the Jews choose to live in the place they think they are exiled from.

Is anyone forcing the Jews to be exiled?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 04:18 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliksder View Post
It won't impact them in any way. If the future kids at some point want to be Orthodox they can convert to Orthodoxy.
You mean convert to Judaism?

The couple appears not to care, and we're not discussing the subject with them now or probably ever. That would be rude.

I'm just trying to find a way to console my wife. She's devastated to welcome yet another non-Jew into the family. And this is the only one who thinks she's Jewish.

What if one day they have a boy above the age of Bar Mitzvah and he wants to go to shul with me some time and we have 9 men? What if at the dinner table he's with my family and he wants to be counted to make a zimun (where three adult men call each other to begin the meal's after beracha). This could be very complex finding ways to avoid embarrassing future nephews or nieces who think they are Jewish.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:39 PM

22,182 posts, read 19,227,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
You might not, but if her kids ever wanted to attend an Orthodox school, they would ask. If she ever wanted to move to Israel and claim citizenship un the Israeli law, they would ask. Many illegal immigrants in the US feel American and can say they are American. You, as a nice person might even consider them American. That doesn't change the law.
Also if their kids ever wanted to live in Israel, or marry an Orthodox Jew, or be married by an Orthodox Rabbi, an Orthodox conversion may be needed.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-04-2015 at 05:15 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I'm just trying to find a way to console my wife. She's devastated to welcome yet another non-Jew into the family. And this is the only one who thinks she's Jewish.

What if one day they have a boy above the age of Bar Mitzvah and he wants to go to shul with me some time and we have 9 men? What if at the dinner table he's with my family and he wants to be counted to make a zimun (where three adult men call each other to begin the meal's after beracha). This could be very complex finding ways to avoid embarrassing future nephews or nieces who think they are Jewish.
it sounds like you and your wife and family will be an active part of their life, and as such if they have children, then those children will naturally learn about Judaism from visits to your home. If they have the desire to follow Jewish law, then it will be from a place of enthusiasm and learning. Kids are naturally curious and ask questions. Your wife and family are a light unto their world.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-04-2015 at 05:10 PM..

Old 09-04-2015, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
The "exile" will end when the Jews choose to live in the place they think they are exiled from.
no, the exile will end when Mashiach arrives and peace reigns and all nations recognize God
and the concealment is removed; not there yet but getting closer

Old 09-04-2015, 05:09 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
They're both reform. It's not possible to be universally accepted as Jewish unless you commit to observing Tuareg mitzvos (all 613 mitzvos).

She thinks she's a Jew.
Universally is where??? Israel?

Is her mother Jewish? grandmother??

Oy tff If this board (Woodrow) would allow me to type in Yiddish, I'd give such verbal patsh for being such a paskudnyak.

Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosends View Post
You might not, but if her kids ever wanted to attend an Orthodox school, they would ask. .....
Ask is fine. Proof is another.

Here's an application to a Orthodox school. All they do is ask.

https://www.flatbush.org/images/uplo...%202015-16.pdf

Old 09-04-2015, 06:50 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,895,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the exile will end when Mashiach arrives and peace reigns and all nations recognize God
and the concealment is removed; not there yet but getting closer
That is an interesting comment.

When did the exile start? My guess is when the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed around 75 AD.

Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 PM

Quote:

When did the exile start? My guess is when the Temple in Jerusalem was destroyed around 75 AD.
this from SimpleToRemember.com:

"The Jewish people were exiled from Israel by the Babylonians in 586 BCE. They survived, returned to Israel after 70 years, and then built the Second Temple. Then in 70 CE, the Romans destroyed the Second Temple, causing the Jews to go into exile once again."

Old 09-04-2015, 07:31 PM

23,161 posts, read 10,455,314 times
Quote:

The great Synagogue burned around 125-135 A.D, and it was blamed on the Christians who attended the synagogues because Rome wanted the separation of Gentiles and Jews and a lot of Jews wanted Gentiles out of their synagogues. Hadrian absolutely hated Jews, and he made a deal with the Greek Orthodox Christians that if they accepted the Saturnalia instead of Looking for Jewish Holy days, then he would turn the synagogues over to the Greek Orthodox. The Jews were exiled again and Greek orthodox took over synagogues that belonged to Jews and even Gentiles who attended with Jews.

200 years later they made it law that nobody should keep the Jewish feasts and Jews were persecuted and treated like dogs, and gentiles who would keep the commandments of God likewise.

After 70 A.D. People HATED Jews, and this is natural being that the world was Rome and Rome had endured a 7 year war with the Jews. A Jewish tax began and anyone keeping the feasts of the Jews were also taxed, after the war, in those days, you didn't want to look like a Jew.

Then Martin Luther came up in 1517 and what a time it was, Anti-Semitism like no other time in history, and there was Spain exiling their Jews, The Ottoman Turks began taking over Beersheba until 400 years later when General Allenby began to take Israel back.

The Jews have been exiled until 1947-48, and an Exodus began in returning. America would house the majority of Jews for decades until in recent decades where more Jews are in Israel than America.

The Exile continues until the world acknowledges the right of Israel to exists.

Fortunately, the world is out of time.

Last edited by Hannibal Flavius; 09-04-2015 at 07:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism