Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 11:34 AM

23,167 posts, read 10,459,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflipflop View Post
I also should be allowed to feel sad that my sister in law married a non Jew. ...............

It's to express my sadness at how far the Jewish people have fallen that we tolerate interfaith marriage and that we go so far as to attack the chutzpah of a Jew who criticizes the abandonment of Torah values.

I think you should have every right to be sad that your sister married out of her faith, and while I even support the notion that Jews should marry Jews, it's really doesn't seem that bad if a Jew married a Torah observant gentile. There are a lot of examples of Gentiles being added into Israel through marriage and through keeping the feasts and Sabbaths of God.....

Personally, I think Moses and Solomon knew something that most do not.

I know that if I were a Jew, I would do anything to try and support my siblings to marry other Jews and ESPECIALLY, not to marry people from other faiths, that would be sad, I can imagine my sister marrying somebody from another faith and me and my sister aren't even of the same faith.

What the heck would they do on holidays?

I don't attend any holidays my family has, they have huge parties and I am never there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2015, 03:01 PM

4,612 posts, read 4,896,799 times
Quote:
he didn't solve his problem.
Of course, this is none of our business, but now we are curious. What exactly was his problem?

If his problem was that he didn't like being married to his first wife, then I would say he solved that problem by divorcing her and finding a new wife more to his liking.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:31 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker45 View Post
Of course, this is none of our business, but now we are curious. What exactly was his problem?

If his problem was that he didn't like being married to his first wife, then I would say he solved that problem by divorcing her and finding a new wife more to his liking.
earlier posts (see posts #1, #80) shared that when he divorced his first wife (not Jewish) his intention was to marry only a Jewish woman, and this fiancée is not halachically* Jewish.

(*according to Jewish law)

Old 09-10-2015, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
earlier posts (see posts #1, #80) shared that when he divorced his first wife (not Jewish) his intention was to marry only a Jewish woman, and this fiancée is not halachically* Jewish.

(*according to Jewish law)
OK, so you are suggesting that his 'problem' was having a wife who was not Jewish.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:32 PM

22,208 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
OK, so you are suggesting that his 'problem' was having a wife who was not Jewish.
that is my understanding of reading the posts

Old 09-10-2015, 09:36 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
When your Jewish child marries a non-Jew, it's the equivalent to the death of a child, chas v'shalom.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:22 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,069,223 times
Seems to me like a cultic practice of sexual and relational authoritarianism. Did King David marry any non-Jews? What about other figures considered "Jewish" in Jewish history?

If I was a failure at common relationships past marriage (couldn't wait for children, couldn't stand not being in my own culture, etc.), I would also seek someone who's religion told them to accept me no matter what (except a few major things that I wouldn't do anyway) after marriage, especially if that religion made them have a lot more in common with me (such as less doubting and less thinking about the incorrectness of it).
I'm guessing that is what happened here (it's a long thread) and the history of Israel (as any other Nation) is rife with imagination, failure, and perseverance.

Old 09-11-2015, 06:14 AM

Quote:
he didn't solve his problem.
Quote:
When your Jewish child marries a non-Jew, it's the equivalent to the death of a child, chas v'shalom.
OK, I can accept that members of his family were upset when he married a non-Jew.

However, when you used the phrase "his problem", I get the impression that he saw his first marriage as a problem.

It seems that if he saw a problem in his first wife not being Jewish, he would not have married her in the first place. Maybe over time, he realized he had made a mistake by marrying a non-Jew, so it eventually became a problem.

For example, I was definitely going bald when my wife married me 44 years ago, so it would be strange if she now wanted to divorce me because I am bald. I mean, she knew the kind of person she was marrying 44 years ago, so why complain about it now?

Old 09-11-2015, 10:28 AM

23,167 posts, read 10,459,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Seems to me like a cultic practice of sexual and relational authoritarianism. Did King David marry any non-Jews? What about other figures considered "Jewish" in Jewish history?

If I was a failure at common relationships past marriage (couldn't wait for children, couldn't stand not being in my own culture, etc.), I would also seek someone who's religion told them to accept me no matter what (except a few major things that I wouldn't do anyway) after marriage, especially if that religion made them have a lot more in common with me (such as less doubting and less thinking about the incorrectness of it).
I'm guessing that is what happened here (it's a long thread) and the history of Israel (as any other Nation) is rife with imagination, failure, and perseverance.

Moses himself married a Non Jew and was talked about because he did so, but Moses knew the plan.

The song of songs is written to a non Jew because Solomon knew the plan, Israel didn't, doesn't.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:15 PM

467 posts, read 353,113 times
Quote:
This almost had a happy ending. My wife's brother married a non-Jew about ten years ago. They divorced about 5 years later, with no kids, primarily because being married to a non-Jew was just too complicated, even though he's a totally secular guy.

After divorce, he decided to specifically aim for marrying a Jewish girl. He only dated Jews. About 2 years ago, he found the most amazing Jewish girl. Last year they got engaged, and the wedding is rapidly approaching. They're going to have a beautiful wedding on the Jersey Shore.

So last week, we found out his fiancée is the daughter of a reform concert. Even though she has lived every day of her life as a "Jew," she of course is not actually Jewish. I'm pretty sure my brother in law does not realize his future kids would not be universally accepted as Jewish.

. . . All of our brothers and sisters married non-Jews. . . .
So, if I have this straight, her brother is doing distinctly better than your family average and her family average. I'm taking a guess that the reason your BIL does not realize his future kids' status is because neither you nor your wife has discussed it with him, either because his fiancee is such a gem, because it's not your place to do so, or both. Either reason could serve as a hint as to what to do here (nothing?), or possibly even a reason for you and your wife each to review his/her attitude towards the whole thing. FWIW, it sounds like Reform congregations are going to regard the kids as Jewish. You and your wife know better, but what would be your BIL's outlook on this? Are you sure that he doesn't already know what observant Jews think about this? Is there any chance at all that she would be interested in really converting? I know I'm grasping at straws here, but don't forget that he wasn't observant before; why do you think that he would care now?

Just a few thoughts above. I'm certainly not telling you what to think or do, either one.

Best wishes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism