Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 08:34 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times

Advertisements

What are you all learning these days? Or have you read a serious Jewish work recently that fascinated you?

I have a few shiurs I attend:
* The Menucha Principle
* Shabbos Malchus by Rav Shimshon Pinchas
* Shaare T’shuvah by Rebbeinu Yonah, I learn b’chevrusa every morning after Shacharis. It’s my most fixed learning time.
* Shabbos Chumash shiur (we’re on year 11 and are up to Parshas Kedoshim.)

And I’m learning Meseches Makkos b’iyun with my Rav.

Any talmud torah going on with the Yidden of CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 08:44 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
I'm at a much more elementary level than you, so you won't be impressed, but I am studying the Book of Kings with my women's group. It's taught by the Rebbetzin at our local Chabad, and we get into a great deal of depth. We just covered the relationship between the two women who fought over the baby (whom Solomon suggesting "splitting," as a test). Who woulda thunk it?

(I had a decent Jewish education, but the focus was mostly on the Five Books of Moses, learning Hebrew, and of course, tradition and law.)

Old 05-20-2019, 08:49 PM

4,729 posts, read 4,365,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I'm at a much more elementary level than you, so you won't be impressed, but I am studying the Book of Kings with my women's group. It's taught by the Rebbetzin at our local Chabad, and we get into a great deal of depth. We just covered the relationship between the two women who fought over the baby (whom Solomon suggesting "splitting," as a test). Who woulda thunk it?

(I had a decent Jewish education, but the focus was mostly on the Five Books of Moses, learning Hebrew, and of course, tradition and law.)
Amazing! Fantastic.

Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 AM

2,676 posts, read 1,266,137 times
I'm part of a chaburah that is covering Mas. Kiddushin. I am also working through Parshat Beshalach with my class and I am preparing a mishmar for Thursday night (so far, one topic MIGHT be the difference between kabbalos hatorah and Matan Torah).

Old 05-21-2019, 12:38 PM

151 posts, read 88,379 times
I'm trying to learn the Hebrew language, at least to a point where I have a solid foundation of the basics. While I read it pretty well, I don't understand about 3/4's of the words right now. My first trip to Israel is in July!!

Old 05-21-2019, 02:05 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Hi....I am learning Hebrew online, and constantly study Torah and planning a trip to Israel.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Hi....I am learning Hebrew online, and constantly study Torah and planning a trip to Israel.
When?....

Old 05-24-2019, 01:54 AM

9,588 posts, read 5,047,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
When?....
Fall of next year, assuming we are not at war by then...

Old 05-24-2019, 03:08 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Fall of next year, assuming we are not at war by then...
Why would we be at war and with who?...

Old 05-24-2019, 10:05 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
I am currently reading

https://www.amazon.com/Wine-Women-De.../dp/0195129873

Anthology/commentary of Hebrew poets in Al Andalus (medieval golden Age muslim Spain) poems about gardens, wine, wine parties, women (yes) etc. Might be a tad racy for you flipflop, although most of these guys also wrote works that are accepted parts of the mesorah, including halachic works (there is some debate about whether they actually indulged in the pleasures described, or whether it was purely a literary thing, influenced by arabic poems) (and yeah, the arabic poets would have been in violation of sharia to drink wine, etc) Definitely interesting in showing normative rabbinic Jews so deep into contemporary secular culture - also a stage in the development of Hebrew language and literature.

I have been trying to read the poems in the original Hebrew, using the commentary to help me understand what I can't translate. Unfortunately the small font of the Hebrew is discouraging, and the commentary is not always enough to help me understand the fairly difficult Hebrew of the poems. A line by line translation would have been more helpful - there are literary translation, but as the translator is trying to capture the expressiveness, they are far from literal.

Last edited by brooklynborndad; 05-24-2019 at 10:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism