Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:44 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Perhaps I need to clarify what I meant. In Israel if someone says that they are "masorti" it doesn't necessarily mean that they identify with the conservative movement. A "masorti" Israeli may still attend an orthodox synagogue and have some orthodox practices or be secular while observing a few traditional religious practices without formally being connected to the conservative movement (meaning the person states in general that they are secular).

Originally Posted by Chava61
The Israeli "masorti" (traditional) Jew is not the same as the American "conservative" Jew.

riginally Posted by Jazzymom
They are the same, just different names.

The Masorti movement is a traditional, egalitarian religious movement in Israel, affiliated with the worldwide Masorti/Conservative movement.

Masorti: Jewish Tradition and Halachah
The Conservative Movement
CJ: Voices of Conservative/Masorti Judaism : The United Synagogue for Conservative Judaism (USCJ)

Did you look at the links? A conservative/masorti may also be orthodox or secular with a few traditional practices. Have a variety of practice to orthodox to non orthodox.

I attend a masorti/conservative shul and there are a wide variety of traditional practices. The Israelis who go to my shul identify themselves with masorti and that is what they call themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:32 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
The Israeli "masorti" (traditional) Jew is not the same as the American "conservative" Jew.

My understanding is that the term "masoreti" (or masorati) is used for the traditional Jews (often sephardim) who attend O synagogues but are incompletely observant, while Masorti is used for the Israeli movement which is also affiliated with Masorti Olami, the world movement of Masorti Judaism, with which USCJ is also affiliated.

See this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masorti

"The Masorti Movement is the name given to Conservative Judaism in Israel and other countries outside Canada and U.S. Masorti means "traditional" in Hebrew. It should not be confused with the large part of Israeli Jews (25% to 50% depending on definitions) who define themselves as "masorati" (or Shomer Masoret) - meaning religiously "traditional" but do not wish to be labelled as Orthodox."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shomer_Masoret

"One must also note, not to confuse the Israeli term "Masorati" with the Conservative Judaism's stream-movement within the U.S, with a similar descriptive names of "Masorti" or Masorti Judaism, accounted as moderate Orthodox Jews (and not as "Traditionalists" or "Tradition Keeper" non-Orthodox observance, as the Israeli terms' attribution to its meaning)."

Old 11-02-2010, 09:58 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
My understanding is that the term "masoreti" (or masorati) is used for the traditional Jews (often sephardim) who attend O synagogues but are incompletely observant, while Masorti is used for the Israeli movement which is also affiliated with Masorti Olami, the world movement of Masorti Judaism, with which USCJ is also affiliated.

See this

Masorti - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"The Masorti Movement is the name given to Conservative Judaism in Israel and other countries outside Canada and U.S. Masorti means "traditional" in Hebrew. It should not be confused with the large part of Israeli Jews (25% to 50% depending on definitions) who define themselves as "masorati" (or Shomer Masoret) - meaning religiously "traditional" but do not wish to be labelled as Orthodox."

Shomer Masoret - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"One must also note, not to confuse the Israeli term "Masorati" with the Conservative Judaism's stream-movement within the U.S, with a similar descriptive names of "Masorti" or Masorti Judaism, accounted as moderate Orthodox Jews (and not as "Traditionalists" or "Tradition Keeper" non-Orthodox observance, as the Israeli terms' attribution to its meaning)."
Masorati and masorti are really the same word with just a different pronunciation. But thank you for clarifying how depending on the pronunciation it is being used to define 2 different things.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:25 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah33 View Post
Vayikra (Leviticus) !8:22
Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind; it is abomination.
Levictus........Eating shellfish is an abomination along with a host of other ridiculous statements>>>>>
Bible (King James)/Leviticus - Wikisource

No crab/shrimp/lobster etc...for you!.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
No crab/shrimp/lobster etc...for you!:smack:.
No bacon with your morning eggs nor a cheeseburger for lunch, either.

Jews are bound by the 613 Mitzvot (Commandments) given at Sinai and binding on those who were there, their descendents and those who voluntarily accept them through conversion.

Gentiles are bound by the Seven Noahide Commandments.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Levictus........Eating shellfish is an abomination along with a host of other ridiculous statements>>>>>
Bible (King James)/Leviticus - Wikisource

No crab/shrimp/lobster etc...for you!.
Having grown up without crab or lobster, I hardly feel deprived. And as to bacon, I'm sure my cholesterol levels thank me for not indulging. I would respectfully suggest, however, that if you're going to quote Jewish law, particularly if there might be Jewish people reading your quotations, that you try to avoid quoting from the King James Version.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Judaism