Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 08:12 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times

Advertisements

^Columbus Park is not near UMKC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 09:58 AM

89 posts, read 258,823 times
The more I read and research the area, the more attracted I am to the Volker, Roanoke, and Union Hill neighborhoods. (aragx6 - your descriptions of Volker on this site make it my #1 area to check out!). I'm starting to dig the idea of living in the city, perhaps in an older home as long as there is heat, a/c, laundry facilities, and my cat is welcome.

I'm also curious about West Plaza, Old Westport, and South Hyde Park.

I just looked up a Kansas City crime map and was stunned at the small numbers of crimes in the KC area in the past year. I don't mean to diminish any of the serious crimes, but crime occurs at a much lower rate than I'm used to. KC is very different than the Detroit or Boston area when it comes to crime. It appears to be much safer in general - and I was only the victim of an attempted break-in once in Boston, one stereo stolen in a suburb of Detroit in a total of 20 years. And I've lived and worked in some rough neighborhoods.

I'm looking for a hotel to stay at when I visit in February. I was thinking about staying in the Plaza area to get a sense of how busy the city is at night. If anyone knows of a B&B in any of the suggested neighborhoods for living, I'd love to hear about it.

Thank you all for sharing your knowledge. It is very appreciated!

Old 12-30-2010, 10:01 AM

p.s. where exactly is the Brookside area? I assume it is close to the Plaza, since Brookside/Plaza was recommended. This map doesn't list it specifically:

KCMO Neighborhoods - Google Maps

Old 12-30-2010, 10:08 AM

I'm glad we've been helpful! The fact is, that, like most cities, crime in KC is very localized. The areas we are discussing are truely very safe compared to most major cities (I lived in a very desirable Chicago neighborhood and it was significantly more dangerous). That said, KC has violent crime, and plenty of it.

All the areas you've mentioned are definitely worth checking out -- South Hyde Park is probably the "sketchiest" but still something I would consider.

And just so you know, our "vintage" apt still has central A/C and heat and a coin laundry in the basement, so we're not entirely roughing it! We just don't have a dishwasher (which I do miss!). From what I've seen of KC properties, that's pretty standard.

As far as coming to visit and see properties: The Plaza is a real good bet so you'll be centrally located to all you want to see. There's also a Holiday Inn Express in Westport that is clean and relatively inexpensive. I know someone who stayed at this B&B and really liked it: Kansas City Bed and Breakfast, Country Club Plaza Kansas City Hotel

Old 12-30-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
p.s. where exactly is the Brookside area? I assume it is close to the Plaza, since Brookside/Plaza was recommended. This map doesn't list it specifically:

KCMO Neighborhoods - Google Maps
The "heart" of Brookside is at 63rd St and Brookside Plaza. There's a great walkable strip of shops, restaurants and bars. Definitely an area we like, but rentals can be few and far between. As you head east the neighborhood will decline somewhat, but you have to get to Troost and beyond before I'd call it anything near dangerous.

Farther south is Waldo, which has a lot of small houses and a a bit more suburban feel, but with some good bars right at 75th St. I felt as though we'd feel a little separated from the heart of the city down there, but you should still give it a look see.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:34 AM

1,145 posts, read 2,465,079 times
Southmoreland has a bb and its right by the plaza

Old 12-30-2010, 10:49 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
The "heart" of Brookside is at 63rd St and Brookside Plaza. There's a great walkable strip of shops, restaurants and bars. Definitely an area we like, but rentals can be few and far between. As you head east the neighborhood will decline somewhat, but you have to get to Troost and beyond before I'd call it anything near dangerous.

Farther south is Waldo, which has a lot of small houses and a a bit more suburban feel, but with some good bars right at 75th St. I felt as though we'd feel a little separated from the heart of the city down there, but you should still give it a look see.
For what it's worth, if you check out going the Waldo route (which is pretty quiet, residentially, and within easy distance of UMKC), be advised that while apartments aren't as easy to come by, there are definitely small, single-family homes that are available as rentals throughout the neighborhood, and they are comparably priced to apartments in the area (couldn't say definitively, as I haven't looked, but I suspect there are fewer houses that are rentals in Brookside). We rented a 3 BR house in Waldo while we were househunting for the same price of the West Plaza 1 BR apartment we'd previously been in. There is an abundance of itty bitty bungalows and ranches in Waldo, many on the market, and when they're not selling, they often get rented. Ours had onsite laundry and a garage, as well.

If you travel by bike, at all, you can ride the Trolley Track Trail between UMKC and Waldo quite easily, as well (same in Brookside)...when I lived there, I walked the entire length of the trail quite often, and my BF ran it, but that can be time consuming. On a bike, however...ain't no thang.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 AM

Wow - thank you all again.

I hadn't even considered riding a bike to school. I guess I've either lived on-campus and walked, or mostly drove in. The Trolley Track trail for biking sounds like a terrific idea. Right now, it is hard for me to imagine, with several inches of snow and ice on the ground here in the Detroit area! (And my bike is actually out in my carport as we speak - there is no storage space for it in my condo).

I'll definitely check out Brookside and Waldo while in town.

Now I'm starting to wish I'd booked an extra day, but I'll be getting in early on a Sunday, have an audition sometime on Monday, and then leaving late Tuesday afternoon - that should give me enough time to discover the city and many of your recommended neighborhoods.

Thanks for the B&B and hotel recs. I was considering the Hampton Inn on the Plaza, though it is a little pricey. I'll check out several of the suggested places.

Old 12-30-2010, 11:46 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_muse View Post
Wow - thank you all again.

I hadn't even considered riding a bike to school. I guess I've either lived on-campus and walked, or mostly drove in. The Trolley Track trail for biking sounds like a terrific idea. Right now, it is hard for me to imagine, with several inches of snow and ice on the ground here in the Detroit area! (And my bike is actually out in my carport as we speak - there is no storage space for it in my condo).
No snow here right now, it's partly sunny and 61 where I am (which is unseasonably warm, just so as not to mislead you, but it ain't no Michigan winter). It's also fiercely windy at the moment, and I can't imagine the trolley track would be its most fun.

Quote:
I'll definitely check out Brookside and Waldo while in town.

Now I'm starting to wish I'd booked an extra day, but I'll be getting in early on a Sunday, have an audition sometime on Monday, and then leaving late Tuesday afternoon - that should give me enough time to discover the city and many of your recommended neighborhoods.

Thanks for the B&B and hotel recs. I was considering the Hampton Inn on the Plaza, though it is a little pricey. I'll check out several of the suggested places.
Relatives have gotten good deals at the Plaza Holiday Inn, FYI.

Old 12-30-2010, 09:30 PM

61 degrees does sound lovely... though I must admit that the snowcover is nice for the holidays.

I have yet another question: how reliable is "The Max" or the other bus systems in the metro transit system? I noticed that The Max runs through several of the neighborhoods I'm considering and UKMC. Is it pretty reliable and relatively safe at night? That might open up more possibilities for me, though I imagine I'll be riding home late nights on my own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City