Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 05:48 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,464,676 times

Advertisements

You would think the plaza location would be the flagship theater, kind of odd for a hometown company
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2010, 07:29 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
There were not even downtown till the past few years. AMC Mainstreet is the best theater in KC.

I'm still holding out hope that AMC will move into the West Edge project and then take over the Cinemark on the Plaza and create a brand new flagship theater.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:21 PM

822 posts, read 2,047,277 times
Back in the late '60s there were so many theaters downtown that you couldn't throw a rock and not hit one. The Plaza used to have several as well, now it's down to one.

At least there's one downtown now. I'd hate to see it move to the Plaza.

Old 11-30-2010, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cp1969 View Post
Back in the late '60s there were so many theaters downtown that you couldn't throw a rock and not hit one. The Plaza used to have several as well, now it's down to one.

At least there's one downtown now. I'd hate to see it move to the Plaza.
I wasn't talking about them moving the one downtown, but taking over the one on the plaza and rebuilding it.

They mentioned they want to be near a new theater complex as part of their HQ to preview movies, test technology, entertain clients etc.

I think they will either go to a new building in the P&L district or to the Plaza area.

I just don't see AMC moving to a suburban location and that becoming their flagship location when they have amazing urban theaters around the country now. They are going to bring people to KC and entertainment them in some boring suburban development when they have places like the Plaza and Main Street Theater in their backyard?

Plus the CEOS of AMC live on and near the Plaza. But money talks. You never know.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:31 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
That AMC Mainstreet is the best movie theater I have ever been to, without question. Their AMC River East in Chicago was very nice, but much more in the mega theater catagory.

One of the problems with urban movie theaters is property costs. Movie theaters are huge and even though it seems we pay a fortune for movies, the theater itself receives very little profit from ticket sales. I suspect they can make far more money in populated suburban areas where rents are lower.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Was AMC always HQ downtown or somewhere else?

Old 12-01-2010, 07:56 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
There is a Cinemark theater on the Plaza and there really isnt enough demand to warrant a second theater.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
There is a Cinemark theater on the Plaza and there really isnt enough demand to warrant a second theater.
No, that is my point. If AMC is a hometown company you would think they would have a damn near monopoly in this town and would have built a nice theater 20 years ago on the plaza. AMC not having a plaza theater would be like Milwaukee having all Honda Motorcycle Dealerships or having the bars in St Louis only sell coors beer.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
Was AMC always HQ downtown or somewhere else?
Always downtown.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew1000 View Post
No, that is my point. If AMC is a hometown company you would think they would have a damn near monopoly in this town and would have built a nice theater 20 years ago on the plaza. AMC not having a plaza theater would be like Milwaukee having all Honda Motorcycle Dealerships or having the bars in St Louis only sell coors beer.
Or like having a Famous Daves BBQ place in your primary entertainment district! Oh Snap!

That Cinemark is a nice theater though. We would always go there before the Downtown one opened or if it's not showing what we want to see.

I'm not sure why AMC didn't didn't go to the plaza. Good question. It would be nice if they could get their hands on that Cinemark regardless if they stay downtown or go to the plaza.

If AMC goes to Kansas, I will throw away my AMC MoveWatcher card and never care about the company again .

(BTW, that last remark is about how and why AMC would move to KS, not just because they are in KS). I fully support Dickinson Theatres and really like their theaters too and they are based in JoCo. But they are a KS company, not a poached KCMO company. I would lose a lot of respect for AMC if they took the bait. I'm already somewhat dissapointed that they are even allowing the game of playing the states against each other to go on. Stan Durwood would have never even allowed that to happen because he would have made it known that they were staying in KCMO.

Last edited by kcmo; 12-01-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City