Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 10:34 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCHS'59 View Post
MAD,

i was watching a 1964 movie last night in which the shot gun police officer in a black and white police car used a telephone handset to call dispatch. I presume this was a radio-telephone sort of thing. I have seen the same type of communication in older movies.

Can you say if the Independence police were using two-way radio in '64? Or were they using a radio-telephone? I started driving in '57 and do not recall a radio-telephone but maybe I was not paying attention.
You've come to the right place! I have a copy of the IPD book published in 2004, which contains lots of photos and the history of the department. I quote from said book...

In 1934 Kansas City became the first department west of the Mississippi to operate a two-way radio system. Independence would follow their lead later in the decade by installing the in-car radio system. In the early days Independence would be dispatched calls from the Kansas City system.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:02 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Anthonie View Post
Close enough to call you the WINNER!!! It was taken from the Dairy Queen driveway. The Motel drive and the edge of their sign is along the left side. K-Mart and the adjoining shops are in the left background. The K-Mart sign appears to be on the wrong side of the street because the highway curves.
When I was there, on Sat nite late I was traveling n. on 291 figuring I could find decent lodging at one of the intersections.

Missing connections at 40/I-70 etc. I got rather nervous as I traveled on after midnite (nice warm nite however) but kinda creepy since I hadn't been there in ages.

In desperation I pulled off at 24, saw the GW sign, took a deep breath and rang the bell. Inside it reminded of a 1960s Route 66 type family owned motel, decor, smell (stunk), etc. Indian owned, I tried to negotiate a cheap rate. Meanwhile, all these cars/pickups are coming in with guys wanting rooms, "ladies of the night" types seated in the front. Then the owner said a cheaper room just happened to open up and he could make a deal. I chose to leave lol. Wound up in a dump in Liberty, but enough sleep and close enough to my morning's destination.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:53 PM

4,711 posts, read 5,769,103 times
Quote:
You've come to the right place! I have a copy of the IPD book published in 2004, which contains lots of photos and the history of the department. I quote from said book...

In 1934 Kansas City became the first department west of the Mississippi to operate a two-way radio system. Independence would follow their lead later in the decade by installing the in-car radio system. In the early days Independence would be dispatched calls from the Kansas City system.

The IPD web site says they are in the process of setting up a YOU TUBE Independence most wanted list.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:02 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,762,611 times
Happy New Year Everyone . . thanks for a memorable back-in-time 2013

Sally, wherever you are, please come back

Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,476,848 times
Let's start the snowy new year with a new mystery location!

Old 01-02-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Let's start the snowy new year with a new mystery location!

That slender arrow sign pointing to a business on the right side of the road seems very familiar.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:25 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,201 times
[quote=Mad Anthonie;32837661]Let's start the snowy new year with a new mystery location

This would be 291 looking south just north of 3rd st. (where a truck is waiting at the stop sign to enter the highway) In the distance, the rear of the Wonder Bread Bakery is just visible on the far left, and the Jacomo Restaurant is on the right, next to the Phillips 66 station. ( it was either someone that worked there, or the owner's grandaughter was shot there, if my memory serves me correctly) The light at Salisbury is further south just past the bakery.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:47 PM

[quote=SilverDoc;32842446]
Quote:
Let's start the snowy new year with a new mystery location

This would be 291 looking south just north of 3rd st. (where a truck is waiting at the stop sign to enter the highway) In the distance, the rear of the Wonder Bread Bakery is just visible on the far left, and the Jacomo Restaurant is on the right, next to the Phillips 66 station. ( it was either someone that worked there, or the owner's grandaughter was shot there, if my memory serves me correctly) The light at Salisbury is further south just past the bakery.
I think it was the restaurant that had that slender arrow sign? On Google Earth, there are a lot of footprints for the businesses on the west side of M-291, casualties of the widening effort.

When we were kids, we use to say "If it is good bread, it is a wonder." But having said that we almost always had Wonder bread on the table. A distant second was Butternut Bread, "Tut, tut, nothing but, Butternut Bread."

Our third grade class at McCoy School toured the Wonder Bread bakery in Kansas City. The tour guide said they were going to give us a treat at the end of the tour. We all expected a Twinkie or a cream filled chocolate cupcake. However, just before we got on the Pace school bus to return to McCoy, they gave each of us one slice of the freshly baked bread right off the assembly line still warm and smelling wondrous. It did not take the place of a Twinkie but it was the best slice of bread I ever ate.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM

38 posts, read 74,097 times
I also went to McCoy and remember the field trip to Wonder Bread. We were lucky and got the package of cup cakes when we got on the bus to return to the school. I still remember the great smell of the bakery. My third grade teacher was Miss Robinson.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:13 PM

778 posts, read 1,025,201 times
[quote=WCHS'59;32842759]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverDoc View Post

I think it was the restaurant that had that slender arrow sign? On Google Earth, there are a lot of footprints for the businesses on the west side of M-291, casualties of the widening effort.

When we were kids, we use to say "If it is good bread, it is a wonder." But having said that we almost always had Wonder bread on the table. A distant second was Butternut Bread, "Tut, tut, nothing but, Butternut Bread."

Our third grade class at McCoy School toured the Wonder Bread bakery in Kansas City. The tour guide said they were going to give us a treat at the end of the tour. We all expected a Twinkie or a cream filled chocolate cupcake. However, just before we got on the Pace school bus to return to McCoy, they gave each of us one slice of the freshly baked bread right off the assembly line still warm and smelling wondrous. It did not take the place of a Twinkie but it was the best slice of bread I ever ate.
Yep! It was the Jacomo Restaurant. I wish I had a close up shot of the sign. Maybe Mad has one. (hint, hint!) I also went on a grade school Wonder Bread field trip, (from Spring Branch), BUT...unlike your class, we GOT a Twinkie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City