Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2021, 04:23 PM

267 posts, read 158,596 times

Advertisements

HA HA HA HA....I get it.......that was a funny joke!

It was the decade of the 60's however
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2021, 02:05 PM

908 posts, read 726,348 times
Merry Christmas to everyone who lives in or loves Independence! Click the link to see the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSU9Dbxvrw&t=113s

Old 12-24-2021, 03:43 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Wishing all y'all a very Merry, Happy, and Blessed Christmas.

Old 12-25-2021, 10:37 AM

2,374 posts, read 2,765,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMO View Post
Merry Christmas to everyone who lives in or loves Independence! Click the link to see the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKSU9Dbxvrw&t=113s
Ok, ChrisMan, I will wish you a MERRY CHRISTmas, even if you video violates intellectual property law

Old 12-30-2021, 10:19 AM

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO THE INDEP. SQUARE CONVERSANTS! (I hope that is a word!)

Heres to lots more good conversations in '22.

Old 12-31-2021, 11:30 AM

239 posts, read 257,552 times
Happy New Year!!
I recently ran into this public photo album that was posted on Facebook that shows the construction for the RLDS, the houses that were there beforehand, etc. Virtually every vantagepoint around. It's quite an amazing collection and must have cost a fortune on film!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1403635&type=3

Old 12-31-2021, 05:52 PM

Wow! thanks for that! I spent hours there watching the goings on, I just never thought to take pictures like that. Its all so familiar....nice to go back for a bit.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:09 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,479,996 times
Happy New Year fans of Old Independence!

Old 01-01-2022, 09:37 AM

14,187 posts, read 9,085,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pearjas View Post
Happy New Year!!
I recently ran into this public photo album that was posted on Facebook that shows the construction for the RLDS, the houses that were there beforehand, etc. Virtually every vantagepoint around. It's quite an amazing collection and must have cost a fortune on film!!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1403635&type=3
So I now have some questions about the history of the Community of Christ (nee RLDS) HQ that maybe some Independence old heads can answer.
  1. When was the Auditorium buiit? Judging from its appearance, I would hazard a guess of the late 1940s, perhaps right after World War II — though elements of the design look more Art Deco and suggest the project may have been conceived (and even built) in the 1930s and the more modern front facade added later.
  2. Was the Stone Church, which one commenter mentions in the photo album, the former home of the RLDS Church? (If so, then it seems to me that the followers of Joseph Smith who decided that Independence was The Place nad no further travel was needed were more modest in their architectural tastes than the crew that proceeded to Utah.)
  3. What led the RLDS Church to decide it needed to build an actual temple in Independence?
  4. I must say that I find the design of the temple quite striking and its use of the nautilus as the shape of even the spire inspired. Again, what was the significance of choosing the nautilus (or snail shell) as the design?

The area around the Auditorium looked less built-out than I remember it as a child as well. Is my memory playing tricks on me, or what?

Old 01-02-2022, 09:20 AM

The Auditorium construction was started in 1926. Construction was gradual and paused at times due to the depression and WW2. The dome is copper, and the story goes that it was painted green so as to not be a target should the war ever get this far. There is room for a 2 story house between the ceiling of the main chamber, and the outside copper 'roof'. (I once had the privilege of standing on the top 'button' of the dome, and I'll never forget it.) Completion was in 1952, although finishing touches continued.( It was completely debt free at that time.) For instance, the terrazzo floors throughout the building, and the organ were installed during my younger years.

The Stone Church was built in the 1880's, and was never the Church headquarters. It has always been an active congregation of the RLDS-Community of Christ Church. (The Mrs. and I were married there in 1973.)

The Temple was built here as part of a Divine inspiration given to Joseph Smith. (Brigham Young split off and headed west. Joseph Smith did NOT found the Mormon Church!) When the time came for construction, the Church requested a shape found in nature. Architect Gyo Obata chose the shape of the chambered nautilus, creating a shape rising to a central spire which seems to 'go on forever'. The building is a masterpiece which could not have been built before the computer age, due to its design.

Both the Auditorium and the Temple are known for their world class pipe organs. I was lucky enough to have many hours of practice time on the Auditorium Organ.

I hope this helps.

Last edited by dmouse; 01-02-2022 at 09:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City