Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2012, 11:26 PM

36 posts, read 76,231 times

Advertisements

Yes Racer56 its sad this town was something special i have lived here since 1997 my daughter is 15 and is carring a 4.0 my son is carring a 3.8 but they both hate all the drama at school and its not like it was 5 years ago this town was great 5 years ago but now its no place to raise children
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 09:15 AM

8 posts, read 17,591 times
Oh BS sounds like we want to stay away from it! I am canceling with the realtor for BS houses! Thanks for the input! It matches other things I have read on BS. Liberty seems like a much better choice. I just wish they had more houses in our price range! There are only 3 we would consider at this point.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:34 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,611,075 times
Are you not wanting an older house? I would think the Northland would be really worth considering for you -- good schools, easy commute, safe, modest and thus cheaper homes. If you share a bit more about what exactly you're looking for I think we could offer some more tailored suggestions!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:00 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Are you not wanting an older house? I would think the Northland would be really worth considering for you -- good schools, easy commute, safe, modest and thus cheaper homes. If you share a bit more about what exactly you're looking for I think we could offer some more tailored suggestions!
Agree, and don't limit yourself only to Liberty. The part of Kansas City, MO which is north of the river is NOT in the infamous Kansas City, MO School District. There's a wide range of housing up here from older, starter homes to $1 million and up. Where is the job in Kansas City, MO? That might narrow down our suggestions.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:52 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
So if Blue Springs is really that bad, then how much longer do places like Lee's Summit and Liberty have before they too develop a bad image?

Nothing against the OP, I don't blame you for looking elsewhere, but I still can't fathom the idea of writing off an entire area of the metro with population exceeding 50,000 residents many of them in quite affluent areas. Not to mention an outer belt suburb that still sees quite a bit of residential and commercial growth.

It's mind boggling how this happens, but it has happened so many times in metro KC. Grandview was not a bad area at all till people started saying it was a bad area and then within five-ten years, it went from a fast growing suburb to a place few had an interest in, housing prices dropped and and people jumped over the city and into Cass County and to this day I don't think people know why. When enough people call an area a bad area, it will eventually turn into what people want it to be. Same deal with Raytown etc.

I also don't see how people that truly have a vested interest in a community would scare off the types of residents they need while threatening to leave the city for greener pastures. Even so, I still don't think Blue Springs is a place that desperately needs decent people to live there, that's not what I'm saying.

I have lived in, including Blue Springs, KCMO, the Northland and the now out here, I have always gotten involved with the community. If there were problems, we tackled them and did our best to correct them rather than run from them or scare others off.

At what point do you not have a kc area left and the only places people feel safe are Oak Grove and Kearny unless you can physically separate yourself from anybody that makes under 100k and live in south overland park/leawood. Olathe is another place that I constantly hear is going "downhill".

I just don't understand how so much of metro KC can be in a state of decline. If I didn't know any better, I would think twice about moving anywhere in metro KC.

Last edited by kcmo; 03-12-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 11:39 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
So if Blue Springs is really that bad, then how much longer do places like Lee's Summit and Liberty have before they too develop a bad image?

Nothing against the OP, I don't blame you for looking elsewhere, but I still can't fathom the idea of writing off an entire area of the metro with population exceeding 50,000 residents many of them in quite affluent areas. Not to mention an outer belt suburb that still sees quite a bit of residential and commercial growth.

It's mind boggling how this happens, but it has happened so many times in metro KC. Grandview was not a bad area at all till people started saying it was a bad area and then within five-ten years, it went from a fast growing suburb to a place few had an interest in, housing prices dropped and and people jumped over the city and into Cass County and to this day I don't think people know why. When enough people call an area a bad area, it will eventually turn into what people want it to be. Same deal with Raytown etc.

I also don't see how people that truly have a vested interest in a community would scare off the types of residents they need while threatening to leave the city for greener pastures. Even so, I still don't think Blue Springs is a place that desperately needs decent people to live there, that's not what I'm saying.

I have lived in, including Blue Springs, KCMO, the Northland and the now out here, I have always gotten involved with the community. If there were problems, we tackled them and did our best to correct them rather than run from them or scare others off.

At what point do you not have a kc area left and the only places people feel safe are Oak Grove and Kearny unless you can physically separate yourself from anybody that makes under 100k and live in south overland park/leawood. Olathe is another place that I constantly hear is going "downhill".

I just don't understand how so much of metro KC can be in a state of decline. If I didn't know any better, I would think twice about moving anywhere in metro KC.
I don't know why you're surprised.

America is in a state of decline and has been for many years. There are still exception areas, but they are harder and harder to find - and afford.

Old 03-12-2012, 05:54 PM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Grandview was not a bad area at all till people started saying it was a bad area and then within five-ten years, it went from a fast growing suburb to a place few had an interest in, housing prices dropped and and people jumped over the city and into Cass County and to this day I don't think people know why.
IMO, Grandview started going downhill when Richards-Gebaur closed as an active duty base. There were a glut of rental vacancies, landlords lowered rental rates to fill them, and the "lower-rent" people started moving in.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:48 PM

99 posts, read 232,840 times
KCMO has a very good point when he asks how long the other burbs end up like Olathe and Blue Springs (once both nice areas). That question right there is why we are leaving the KC area entirely. It is just a matter of time I think, how long I don't know but if you would have told me 13 years ago Olathe would be what it is today I wouldn't believe it for a second.
I think Liberty is a bit more disconected than Blue Springs so that should help. What we have learned by living in Blue Springs and Olathe is this... You have to go to the area and really talk to folks and get the information about the area yourself. Blue Springs looks good on paper but when you find out how numbers are heavily manipulated and I'm sure all places have different guidelines they follow. The crime rate here is no where even remotely close to what some websites report.
Anyway I don't want to invade this post for the op. I think I have at least warned her of the safety concerns and that was really all I wanted, I wish someone had done that for us...

Old 03-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post

I was just made aware of the "Northland" area today! Excited! Looks like we will have more options that fit what we are looking for. Ok, so the Northland area consists of Liberty, Park Hill, Gladstone? Am I missing anything? We are looking for a home 0-15 yrs old, 4 bedrooms, nice yard (fenced would be great), deck, more open concept home as we love to entertain! 165k and under. Good school district is the most important.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
Agree, and don't limit yourself only to Liberty. The part of Kansas City, MO which is north of the river is NOT in the infamous Kansas City, MO School District. There's a wide range of housing up here from older, starter homes to $1 million and up. Where is the job in Kansas City, MO? That might narrow down our suggestions.

Thanks so much for your input! My husband is in sales and will be working the entire KC area. So we are not limited to any certain side of KC. He currently commutes 130 miles (round trip) per day. So, we have lots of options when we look at your suburbs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City