Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 05:32 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
While I have been focusing most of my search on the OP area, I would also like to hear some feedback on the areas around Old Westport. Specifically the areas around Summit and 40th. What is the general feel of the 64111 zip code (between Country Club Plaza and 31st and between State Line and Gillham)? Is it a lot of activity? What about at night? Very commerical or more residential? Young professionals or older folks? Is there stuff to do in walking distance? Would a pool make a huge difference in the summer?

I know the places over there will be older, but I figured to drive around and see if I could find a decent priced place that has updates. I also know I won't be close to the center of Country Club Plaza because I'll be priced out of what I need.

As back ups, what about 64112 and 64113 zip codes to the south of the 64111 area? All these are on the KCMO side. I'll be out tomorrow. So much for really nice and warm weather (it snowed here last night).
No one here knows you personally, and without that knowledge it is impossible to know what advice is best for you.

My own perspective is this. 35 years ago I was a new transplant to Overland Park. I already had a family, but that was a time when young singles were moving to JoCo in large numbers and I knew lots of them. 98% of those I knew chose to live in JoCo near to their work and no one I knew had a difficult time. There are nice apartment complexes everywhere and I'm sure they are still full of young people as they were then.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in the Plaza area, Westport, or any other urban area. And that was just as true for me 40 years ago as it is today.

Only you knows what makes you tick and where you feel at home. For me it was a no-brainer and I loved my years in Overland Park....despite wishing I were somewhere else from June to September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 05:41 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
Luzianne, I know you mean well, but you are of a different generation and mindset, so I don't expect you to understand.

It is very different for transplants than natives. Your kids grew up in the area and probably already have friends. Any time I have heard of a transplant moving to KC and landing the burbs, they tend to have a difficult time and end up unhappy with their time in KC. The majority of transplants seem to go to the city, which has a more active and open social scene than the cliquish burbs.
And I don't think that you understand that not everyone thinks the same way or wants the same lifestyle. The OP may well want to live downtown once he visits Kansas City. But from his description, it doesn't sound like he's into that kind of lifestyle and "social scene."

Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,980,138 times
Quote:
Luzianne, I know you mean well, but you are of a different generation and mindset, so I don't expect you to understand.

It is very different for transplants than natives. Your kids grew up in the area and probably already have friends. Any time I have heard of a transplant moving to KC and landing the burbs, they tend to have a difficult time and end up unhappy with their time in KC. The majority of transplants seem to go to the city, which has a more active and open social scene than the cliquish burbs.
What you're saying is interesting. I'm a native here and I haven't ever experienced moving to a new city and what it's like, including the challenges, of establishing yourself in another city. I liken what you've said as kind of being like moving into a small town, meaning moving into the suburbs is kind of liking moving in on other people's territory who are well established. I can definitely see that, especially in the Missouri suburbs, which aren't very diverse, have less transplants, and many of which are basically small towns that morphed into suburbs. However, Johnson County - especially Overland Park, a major corporate suburban city - has many large corporations and employers, a lot of diversity, and a lot of transplants. Are you sure that Kansas City's urban core is better for everybody new to KC than Overland Park and Johnson County? I wish I knew where to find the statistics because I'm definitely curious about where the largest number of young, single transplants settle when they come to town or even where local college grads who come back settle, and even just settlement patterns around the metro in general. Do you think the most young singles settle in urban KCMO? Do you think more are in the suburbs? Do you think more settle in the Overland Park area than urban KCMO? There are a ton of apartment complexes in OP and JoCo full of young people, I know that for sure. Besides the bars, clubs, and party scene, how is urban KCMO any more beneficial for a person to live there than the Overland Park area?

Oh, and I'm curious about what exactly you mean by cliquish. Maybe you mean everybody knows everybody, established circles, that sort of thing? Because there's a certain something I might call "cliquishness" that exists in urban KCMO too, meaning there seem to be a lot of specific subcultures that if you don't fit into, you might be better off in the suburbs where people are just general people and average an not leaning too far any particular way that creates divide. I hope that makes sense. I also hope reading this somehow helps the wrightflyer.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:30 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
OK.

Just to clear things up. I am just looking at the moment. No need for people to jump to conclusions. I have lived in both urban, young people oriented environments (Columbus) and the very definition of suburban (outside Dayton). What I am trying to do with this thread is figure out where the different places are that might appeal to me. Either works, but I don't know where either are. Thus, this thread.

Yes, I don't want to be up all night at bars and clubs. Maybe on occasion. But I also want to live where there is some semblance of a social scene for younger folks. It looks like both areas (OP and urban parts of KCMO) can do that. I just need someone to point out where those areas are.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM

Yep, you just have to look for yourself. I gave you some places in Overland Park in a prior post. If you are wanting more urban, maybe look around Waldo or Brookside - which would be much closer to work than downtown. Also look at the Plaza, Westport, and downtown.

I don't know how to characterize it except in general I guess Overland Park/Johnson County would be more yuppie and downtown more hipster, but you can find all kinds of people everywhere in KC. Just come on out and look around Overland Park (northern OP is older, southern OP newer and more upscale), Prairie Village, Waldo, Brookside, The Plaza, Westport, Crossroads, and downtown. Go see all of them; a round trip drive can be done in about an hour. Maybe one of your Overland Park relatives could give you a tour and show you all the areas so you can look instead of concentrating on driving and finding your way around?

Old 04-15-2014, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Hello KC Forum!

I have recently excepted an interview offer with a small marketing outfit in Overland Park. While I know I am still in the interview phase, if I receive an offer, the move and relocation turnaround may be quick. Thus, I figured I would get a head-start on research.

I am looking for info on social life, living, traffic, and taxes.

Social Life: As mentioned, I am a recent college graduate. Not huge into the bar or party scene, but would like to know of places and organizations that attract young professionals in the area. Really don't know anyone out in KC. Social life here in Dayton, Ohio, is pretty slim, so it is most certainly going to be an improvement, I expect. But I know not to expect a DC or NYC level of single professionals.

Living: I have family friends that live in Overland Park. My understanding is that it is a rather sprawling suburb. That's about all I have in regards to the lay-of-the-land for the metro. The job would be near the intersection of Metcalf Ave and W. 95th. Is the surrounding area a decent area to live? Would I be bored and far from any place to meet new professionals and single people? What exactly is church life like in the area (I'm Catholic).

Rent would be dependent on the starting salary, but I am assuming anywhere between $700-$900 a month. Since it is just me, a studio or one bedroom would suffice. Where is the best place to find rentals, preferably online. I think I would prefer a complex over a small multi-unit, but am not set on that setup. Also, while we have tornadoes probably 3-6 times a year in my part of Ohio (including some big EF4 twisters over the last 10-20 years), how persistent is that threat in the KC area? Thus, would it be wise to look for a unit on the ground floor? Newer would be better, but if I am in a place close to shopping, restaurants and social scenes, I would be willing to forgo the newness.

Traffic: What exactly is traffic like in the greater metro area? I have seen anything from major disaster (Metro DC) to pain in the rear (Cincinnati/Columbus) to only if there is an accident (Dayton). I am not opposed to a 30min commute. Anything over would probably be pushing my limits. Is it rather easy to get from the MO side to the KS side of town?

Taxes: On the different states note, are the taxes drastically different between Missouri and Kansas? I am mostly focused on income taxes (state and local) since I am renting. Which state is the better state income tax wise and which municipalities have lower income tax rates? Is there reciprocity if I live in one jurisdiction but work in another? Would it just be wise to live in the same state I work?

Again, while nothing is set in stone yet, I know that this position's turn around time would be quite quick, so any information I can get now is greatly appreciated!
If you end up here in Kansas City, I think the contrast and change from Dayton will be very pleasing. If you're not much familiar with KC, and even though KC is far from DC and NYC, you might be mighty surprised. Others, if they haven't already, will have to chime in on organizations for young people, but they absolutely do exist here, and I'm not sure, but urban KC might be your best bet for that sort of thing.

95th and Metcalf is in or close to some of the best suburban areas of the city, is of course a friendly area Catholics, and its a very corporate area with lots of transplants, plus it is fairly close and easily commutable to and from urban KC. Urban or suburban, I don't think you'll have any problem finding rent in your range for the size of apartment you want, but some of the larger, newer complexes can be expensive. Some of the newer complexes in urban KC you might look into are the Fountains on the Plaza complex in the Country Club Plaza area, City Place in Westport, and Market Station in the River Market (downtown). Most of the apartments in KCMO besides small multifamily buildings are in older highrises or converted office buildings or old warehouse buildings converted to loft-style apartments. For newer apartment complexes, you're going to have a wider selection in Johnson County. Johnson County has great shopping all around, but KCMO's best mainstream/chain-oriented shopping area is the Country Club Plaza. The River Market and Westport have lots of local shops. Crown Center is an indoor mall downtown with Hall's, a local upscale department store, and a variety miscellaneous, kind of touristy of shops. There's a Costco and Home Depot in Midtown KC. Brookside isn't far south of the Plaza and provides a quaint, neighborhood-oriented shopping area. There are plenty of grocery stores in urban KC, including one in the center of downtown and a new Whole Foods coming to the Plaza area, but for stuff like typical department stores, malls, and suburban chains, you mostly have to go to the suburbs, with Johnson County being the best bet.

I don't speak from experience, but from what I've heard and firmly believe, traffic here in KC is nothing, not even in the worst areas, compared to DC and other large cities. It is really think it won't be an issue for you.

The only thing I'll mention about taxes is that if you live in or work in KCMO, you're subject to the city's 1% income tax.

Overall, I think the River Market, Westport, Plaza, and Waldo are some of the best specific neighborhoods for young people, depending on what type of environment you want. Overland Park is typical corporate/big-city suburbia where lots of young people live in apartment complexes. The River Market is on the north end of downtown near the Missouri River, very historic but very clean, mostly local businesses and restaurants, a few bars. Westport is just north of the Plaza, very historic, but borders some rougher areas of greater Midtown, and used to be a major bar/club area before the Power and Light District opened downtown that is sort of transitioning into more of a neighborhood center. The Plaza isn't all expensive, but is more upscale and polished overall, and is one of the most vibrant areas of urban KC. And Waldo is at the far southern end of the urban core and is sort of like an inner-ring suburb, though its business district has bars and restaurants that are popular with young professionals. Waldo is the closest place in urban KC to 95th and Metcalf. In Waldo, though, most of the rentals are houses. There really aren't many apartments at all, let alone complexes.

A couple of good websites to check out rentals in both the city and suburbs are:

Apartments for Rent | An Apartment Finder & Guide for Rentals - ForRent.com

and

Apartments for Rent - Nationwide Apartment Finder | Apartments.com

Quote:
While I have been focusing most of my search on the OP area, I would also like to hear some feedback on the areas around Old Westport. Specifically the areas around Summit and 40th. What is the general feel of the 64111 zip code (between Country Club Plaza and 31st and between State Line and Gillham)? Is it a lot of activity? What about at night? Very commerical or more residential? Young professionals or older folks? Is there stuff to do in walking distance? Would a pool make a huge difference in the summer?

I know the places over there will be older, but I figured to drive around and see if I could find a decent priced place that has updates. I also know I won't be close to the center of Country Club Plaza because I'll be priced out of what I need.

As back ups, what about 64112 and 64113 zip codes to the south of the 64111 area? All these are on the KCMO side. I'll be out tomorrow. So much for really nice and warm weather (it snowed here last night).
40th and Summit is western Westport, bordering on the Volker/W. 39th St neighborhood, where 39th St is lined with lots of local restaurants, a Chipotle, Starbucks, and a few shops, all right next to the University of Kansas Med Center complex at 39th and State Line Rd. From 40th and Summit you could walk both to W 39th and to Westport and even to the Plaza on an extended walk. There's a large grocery store, Sun Fresh, in the immediate area. The area is very active, most hours of the day and night. 64111 is Westport and Midtown, 64112 is the Plaza area, and 64113 is Brookside, where there are hardly any apartments at all, but it is a very nice area and if you wanted it would be a great place to grab any apartment you can find.

Old 04-15-2014, 11:50 PM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
Are you sure that Kansas City's urban core is better for everybody new to KC than Overland Park and Johnson County? I wish I knew where to find the statistics because I'm definitely curious about where the largest number of young, single transplants settle when they come to town or even where local college grads who come back settle, and even just settlement patterns around the metro in general. Do you think the most young singles settle in urban KCMO? Do you think more are in the suburbs? Do you think more settle in the Overland Park area than urban KCMO? There are a ton of apartment complexes in OP and JoCo full of young people, I know that for sure. Besides the bars, clubs, and party scene, how is urban KCMO any more beneficial for a person to live there than the Overland Park area?

Oh, and I'm curious about what exactly you mean by cliquish. Maybe you mean everybody knows everybody, established circles, that sort of thing?
No, the urban core is not better for everybody new to KC, but I do find a striking amount of anecdotal evidence that young, single transplants who go to the urban core are happier in their social life than those in the burbs. I hear many stories (on this site and other internet forums, as well as real life) where transplants who wind up in the burbs have difficulty breaking into the more entrenched social circles of people who have lived their their whole lives. They often end up bored, lonely, and disliking Kansas City.

I don't have statistics, but the urban core seems to have more young, single transplants by my account. Of the young people I know in my neighborhood, transplants outnumber the natives. I have many friends who are transplants who live the urban core and love KC life.

It's not just bars and parties - there are many other social groups like volunteer organizations, kickball leagues, young professional groups, etc... that seem to be more prevalent in the urban core. There are also a greater amount of amenities that appeal to and cater to the young demographics.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:53 AM

^Fair enough.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM

709 posts, read 1,493,044 times
I was curious about the statistics for ages of residents in these areas, and I found this data on age distribution for 64111 and 64112 in KCMO vs a few random OP zip codes.

A couple of the OP zip codes do have a decent bump in the 25-30 age range, with a valley around 30-45 and another bump in the 50-60 age range (just speculation, but it seems like the relating age bumps could be post-college kids moving back home with their parents, which statistics show is a growing national trend.)

You can clearly see the midtown/plaza KCMO zip codes have a higher portion of young adults.

For 64111:

64112:

Some random zip codes in OP:

Old 04-16-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
You can clearly see the midtown/plaza KCMO zip codes have a higher portion of young adults.

Those graphs suggest to me that when people get a little life experience and wisdom under their belts, they move out of the urban areas.

I know things have changed - but when I was in my 20s in the 1980s, I lived in urban KCMO because I couldn't AFFORD to live in the suburbs. Once I had my first child, I made it a priority to get to the suburbs no matter what it took.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City