Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:46 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
No one said that. I said when *I* lived in urban KCMO in the 80s when I was in my 20s, it was because I couldn't afford to live in the suburbs. No one has suggested that that is the case now. In general, you can still rent for less in the areas of KCMO other than downtown or the Plaza, though, than in the suburbs.

I really don't get why people think Kansas City has to compete with any other city, though. What most people like about Kansas City is that it is NOT the same as other cities. Why can't Kansas City just be Kansas City? If I wanted New York, I'd move to New York.
I remember having friends who went to the KC Arti Institute and ended up with jobs that didn't pay much, so they bought houses in KCMO just a little east of Troost because that's all they could afford. And I remember back then (early 90s) being shocked that their houses cost about the same as a nice car lol!

I think the frustration lies in people like me who are more urban minded and prefer to live in lively, dense areas of a big city. If you're like that, then you certainly can find that in areas from the Plaza to the Riverfront, but you're still dealing with an overall anti-urban population in the metro area and very little progress in the urban core of KCMO. But overall in metro KC, people, like you, are quite happy and content with their environment I think other metro areas provide a more balanced urban/suburban environment so more people are happy, but it is what is is in KC.

I love Denver and all the urban progress going on. But really, I long to move back to Los Angeles. I feel more at home there, but where we're at in Denver is so perfect for our children, I don't see moving back there anytime soon. Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 09:01 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I remember having friends who went to the KC Arti Institute and ended up with jobs that didn't pay much, so they bought houses in KCMO just a little east of Troost because that's all they could afford. And I remember back then (early 90s) being shocked that their houses cost about the same as a nice car lol!

I think the frustration lies in people like me who are more urban minded and prefer to live in lively, dense areas of a big city. If you're like that, then you certainly can find that in areas from the Plaza to the Riverfront, but you're still dealing with an overall anti-urban population in the metro area and very little progress in the urban core of KCMO. But overall in metro KC, people, like you, are quite happy and content with their environment I think other metro areas provide a more balanced urban/suburban environment so more people are happy, but it is what is is in KC.

I love Denver and all the urban progress going on. But really, I long to move back to Los Angeles. I feel more at home there, but where we're at in Denver is so perfect for our children, I don't see moving back there anytime soon. Who knows?
My brother lives in suburban Denver! How does having children affect your thoughts living in an urban versus suburban area? If you moved back to LA, where would you live?

I just think it depends on what the market demands. If there were tons more people wanting to live downtown - which may happen - then I think there'd be more focus there. Right now, you are right. There are so many people content to live in the suburbs of Kansas City rather than in the urban core. But there is a huge difference between now and the 80s. Downtown in the 80s was dead after dark. There was no reason to be down there.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:05 AM

991 posts, read 1,109,700 times
Quote:
No one said that. I said when *I* lived in urban KCMO in the 80s when I was in my 20s, it was because I couldn't afford to live in the suburbs. No one has suggested that that is the case now. In general, you can still rent for less in the areas of KCMO other than downtown or the Plaza, though, than in the suburbs.

I really don't get why people think Kansas City has to compete with any other city, though. What most people like about Kansas City is that it is NOT the same as other cities. Why can't Kansas City just be Kansas City? If I wanted New York, I'd move to New York.
The problem is that KC is geared for a certain "lifestyle" and those that are left wanting more are just kind of stuck...unless we relocate. For example, this city (and especially the suburbs) just shut down after a certain time; I love the plaza but even on a Friday night it is not as packed for a tourist area as say, Broadway in Nashville. It is important that a city provide lots of entertainment options to cater to all types.

I shuttle between KC and Nashville for work a lot and the cities have some similarities: primarily suburb driven, not incredibly walk-able neighborhoods, not much in the way of public transportation, etc. The primary differences are Nashville has a great college atmosphere right in the city which keeps the nightlife going a bit longer. Also, the area around Vandy has a lot of charm. The restaurants in Nashville stay open longer and you can get food later after you have been out for a while. Obviously, the music scene in Nashville is quite a bit more active than here (I have tried to find live music here on a weeknight in the city and the options are sparse).

I think KC's downtown and urban environment is definitely improving, and don't think it is nearly as bad as the OP suggests. Still, I am sometimes left wanting more for this area. Also, having lived in JOCO for the better part of a year I miss living in the city. There's not much to do out here after 10PM.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:30 AM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
The restaurants in Nashville stay open longer and you can get food later after you have been out for a while.
How late do you need to eat? I think KC has a number of good late night eating options - particularly in Westport. The Foundry and Harry's kitchens are open until 1:30 every night. The Drop and Barrel 31 in Martini Corner are open late as well. A number of other restaurants around the city are open until 11:00

Old 04-18-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseOwlSaysHoot View Post
How late do you need to eat? I think KC has a number of good late night eating options - particularly in Westport. The Foundry and Harry's kitchens are open until 1:30 every night. The Drop and Barrel 31 in Martini Corner are open late as well. A number of other restaurants around the city are open until 11:00
I am talking after-bar food...or 24 hour restaurants (which are few except for some chains - IHOP, maybe?). There's Chubby's, I know. Part of it is where I grew up (New York State), bars are open until 4AM and many restaurants stay open to catch those after-bar customers for grub.

Essentially, I don't need to order Chinese food at 4:00 AM but it's nice to know I have the option. Unfortunately, not here in KC.

Nashville is not 24 hours either, but stuff stays open until 3:00 AM.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 AM

210 posts, read 428,319 times
Quote:
I am talking after-bar food...or 24 hour restaurants (which are few except for some chains - IHOP, maybe?). There's Chubby's, I know. Part of it is where I grew up (New York State), bars are open until 4AM and many restaurants stay open to catch those after-bar customers for grub.

Essentially, I don't need to order Chinese food at 4:00 AM but it's nice to know I have the option. Unfortunately, not here in KC.

I wonder if Missouri liquor laws inhibit that a bit. There are some options though:

Huddle House in Westport - open 24 hours
Beer Kitchen in Westport - open til 3am
YJ's in Crossroads - open 24 hours on weekends
McCoy's in Westport - open til 3am
ipho Tower on Broadway - kitchen open til 1:30

I agree that if we had a bigger university feel, there would be more late night options.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:58 AM

709 posts, read 1,491,947 times
True, not too many 24 hour joints, besides the chains. Sosa's would be my top 24 hour pick - vastly superior to Chubby's.

For pizza, Santora's and Downtown Pizza Co are open until 4am.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:24 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:

And KC is a better metro than most precisely because it doesn't cater to the 3:00 AM crowd.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:35 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,711,220 times
Quote:

And the best part of that is a population that, thus far, has had the good sense to keep it that way. KC's people make for far superior co-workers and friends than found in more "progressive" metros.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
And KC is a better metro than most precisely because it doesn't cater to the 3:00 AM crowd.
Yeah god forbid we have a vibrant nightlife scene...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City