Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2015, 01:46 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,311 times

Advertisements

There has been a lot of discussion about parks in Johnson County lately, so I thought I'd share this article from the Kansas City Star.

Major park is in the works for Johnson County | The Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 PM

3,565 posts, read 7,975,816 times
This is awesome. Too bad it's not a bit further north and more central to NE JoCo though. The land on which the Mission Highlands subdivision sits might be perfect for such a park.

Old 02-01-2015, 09:16 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
That's better than what I had heard before. They were saying the whole site was going to be high-rise condos. I actually am fond of the golf course/country club there. Wish it were staying.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:55 AM

^I think you're thinking of the other country club that redevelopment has been proposed for, Brookridge, which is on 103rd just east of Antioch. Last I heard, that development proposal still stands, including high rises.

Here are a couple articles about that:

http://www.kansascity.com/news/local...le3208176.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascit...sed-mixed.html

Old 02-02-2015, 07:49 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,764 times
Good stuff. And what a great fit! You'd think they could keep the ponds as a water feature, and with any luck they can keep the swimming pool and tennis courts, and turn the clubhouse into a community center.

The funny thing is that the article simultaneously refers to the location as being "the middle of the county" and "northeast Johnson County." The latter is much more accurate.

Wish it had been a park when I was in high school... I lived exactly a mile south of there, off of Nall. I made tremendous use of the Indian Creek trail, but it seemed like the only decent "urban style" park nearby was South Lake Park on 87th. And it's really small.

Kudos to the county for being ahead of the game with that trail back in the 90's, but apart from that, the priority on parkland seemed very low. I want to say there should be a "golden ratio" in any fully developed residential sector of a city, between acres of golfing and acres of parkland. I don't know what that ratio would be exactly, but IMO the Shawnee Mission area is way off balance. This new park would go a long way to correcting that.

Old 02-02-2015, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post
^I think you're thinking of the other country club that redevelopment has been proposed for, Brookridge, which is on 103rd just east of Antioch. Last I heard, that development proposal still stands, including high rises.

Former Brookridge golf club in Overland Park sets sights on millennials | The Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star

Performance venue at heart of proposed golf course redevelopment - Kansas City Business Journal
When they first talked about Meadowbrook being sold (a few years ago), they were talking about high-rise (and high priced) condos. This is the first I've heard of a park.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:08 AM

65 posts, read 120,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOKAN View Post

Former Brookridge golf club in Overland Park sets sights on millennials | The Kansas City Star The Kansas City Star

Performance venue at heart of proposed golf course redevelopment - Kansas City Business Journal
No, it was at Meadowbrook:

Condo plan slated for PV Planning Commission - Kansas City Business Journal

The Brookridge proposal has never mentioned high rises.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinix1999 View Post
No, it was at Meadowbrook:

Condo plan slated for PV Planning Commission - Kansas City Business Journal

The Brookridge proposal has never mentioned high rises.
I knew I wasn't crazy!

Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,218,248 times
Sounds like a nice use of the space

Old 02-02-2015, 09:56 PM

I'm sorry luzianne. Being that you live close, I should have known better.

I wonder if high rises are still being consider. The article posted here is vague:

" The preliminary plans for redevelopment, which are nearing completion, will require rezoning. Those who have seen drawings say that the residential plans indicate a strong European feel, and that the development is very high quality with varying density."

I think the whole 95th and Nall commercial area is a good candidate for semi-urban and more walkable development, like something similar to Brookside or the Prairie Village Shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City