Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 08:10 AM

654 posts, read 631,633 times

Advertisements

I agree about Olathe, don't just dismiss it because of the unsightly strip downtown. There are areas that are virtually indistinguishable from Overland Park, Lenexa or Shawnee, and at a relative discount. That being said, it is more remote and you will be driving a lot if you like to spend time in Kansas City itself.

Old 04-15-2015, 09:41 AM

26,418 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Within the framework you use to define what it is to "enter the 21st century", Johnson County's greatest strength and asset is that it hasn't. It is still part of the "old" America that had great dreams and aspirations for building a better life.

Life on the coasts is all about restraint, limitation, retreat, and guilt about the great country we once were. All the things that drive "progressives" to get up in the morning. For me, I couldn't be happier or more reassured by Johnson County's being an oasis in what is becoming a suicidal has-been nation right before our eyes.

I just wish it wasn't so damn hot and humid there.
Business investment, consumer demand, prices of commercial real estate, and market forces are leading to greater development in the KC metro area, even Downtown. I don't think you can accurately equate a certain built environment that developers had nearly complete control of (JOCO) as a blueprint for the "old" America compared to the present day. The city council in OP tended to rubber stamp just about anything they could get their hands on, regardless of what citizen input was at the time. (A prime example I would use would be massive highway expansions and development that was rammed through by the city and state close to older established neighborhoods). The past was the past and the present is now the present. People tend to cluster in cities, regions, neighborhoods, etc that they prefer given the existing job opportunities, amenities, location, and price.
Your broad brush description of the coasts and applied political stereotypes is just not accurate because of your skewed perspective of being in the Bay Area too long. I have lived close to the coast (NH) and would prefer it given the choice. However, that would involve moving again. There is nothing in the world like walking on the beach in Wells, Maine in July with a nice breeze and a temperature of 65-70F.

Old 04-15-2015, 03:24 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Business investment, consumer demand, prices of commercial real estate, and market forces are leading to greater development in the KC metro area, even Downtown. I don't think you can accurately equate a certain built environment that developers had nearly complete control of (JOCO) as a blueprint for the "old" America compared to the present day. The city council in OP tended to rubber stamp just about anything they could get their hands on, regardless of what citizen input was at the time. (A prime example I would use would be massive highway expansions and development that was rammed through by the city and state close to older established neighborhoods). The past was the past and the present is now the present. People tend to cluster in cities, regions, neighborhoods, etc that they prefer given the existing job opportunities, amenities, location, and price.
Your broad brush description of the coasts and applied political stereotypes is just not accurate because of your skewed perspective of being in the Bay Area too long. I have lived close to the coast (NH) and would prefer it given the choice. However, that would involve moving again. There is nothing in the world like walking on the beach in Wells, Maine in July with a nice breeze and a temperature of 65-70F.
Skewed perspective? Since you're viewing it from yours, I should certainly hope so! Lord help me if you ever agree with me about anything but preference for winter over summer.

So Overland Park suddenly today isn't just another bland, boring, beige, "cookie cutter" suburb just like every other in America? Fascinating.

luzianne, the fruits of our labor are starting to sprout.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:40 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I agree about Olathe, don't just dismiss it because of the unsightly strip downtown. There are areas that are virtually indistinguishable from Overland Park, Lenexa or Shawnee, and at a relative discount. That being said, it is more remote and you will be driving a lot if you like to spend time in Kansas City itself.
Yes, one must remember that Olathe is an older community (that's why it's the county seat) and at one time was a rural community miles from the city center.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:00 PM

27 posts, read 30,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
Thanks Weaubleau! Well! I'm getting comments about Olathe that are totally opposed to each other. Some say avoid it altogether, some say it's great. But, that's what I want to hear...as many opinions about the area as possible..so I'm stoked...as they say here in Cali. I'll just have to see it for myself on my recon trip over to KS.

Old 04-15-2015, 11:12 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
Spending time there will tell you a lot. I initially had a particular view of Olathe when I moved to the metro, because my only experience with it was a bland and fairly isolated office park where a guy I was dating worked - my experience with it has since expanded somewhat. Like a variety of other communities around the metro that are now encapsulated by suburban sprawl, Olathe (founded 1857) wasn't built and developed as a suburb, but, as mentioned, was a longtime community in its own right that the KC metro eventually came out to meet. This gives the older parts of it a different feel than planned communities and subdivisions.

Old 04-16-2015, 03:16 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastward_ho View Post
Thanks Weaubleau! Well! I'm getting comments about Olathe that are totally opposed to each other. Some say avoid it altogether, some say it's great. But, that's what I want to hear...as many opinions about the area as possible..so I'm stoked...as they say here in Cali. I'll just have to see it for myself on my recon trip over to KS.
Of course, my experience with Olathe is dated. So my previous commentary could be as well, since it was based on what it was 30 years ago, + or -.

I understand that since then Olathe has continually grown northeastward as Overland Park has grown south, so that now the transition is almost seamless. Back in the day, there were a few miles of undeveloped space between them and a clear culture change from one to the other. The newer development could well be much more like Overland Park and less like the Olathe of old.

Old 04-16-2015, 07:43 AM

187 posts, read 270,399 times
There is nothing wrong with Olathe. The west side is older, has good neighborhoods and a few bad. The far northwest corner is all very nice housing that you really can't go wrong with. The east has developed to where it almost seamlessly integrates with Overland Park. You won't find a lot of difference between the east side of Olathe and Overland Park. If anything I think the newer neighborhoods of Olathe are more "beige-cookie-cutter" than the newer neighborhoods of OP.

I grew up in Olathe and now live in Overland Park. Schools are all great, very little crime, can find a variety of homes and neighborhoods from old to new, and always plenty to do. Passers-by notice the abundance of strip malls and retail (we are over-saturated with half-vacant retail space) but upon a closer look there are some great local businesses mixed in as well. Within a mile from my house I have an Ethiopian coffee shop, local barber, Greek food, Mexican, breakfast/lunch, Italian, liquor store, bar and grill, and other shops all locally owned.

Old 04-16-2015, 10:28 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastward_ho View Post
Olathe is rather flat (compared to other parts of the metro area) and it's extremely spread out (huge setbacks, huge lots for houses), and the houses, while many are large, they're rather bland looking. It's also very conservative and you'll find a lot of conservative, evangelical churches there. Stop lights, strip malls, blah housing... it very well could be your heaven. Personally, it would be hell on earth for me

Old 04-16-2015, 10:29 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Of course, my experience with Olathe is dated. So my previous commentary could be as well, since it was based on what it was 30 years ago, + or -.

I understand that since then Olathe has continually grown northeastward as Overland Park has grown south, so that now the transition is almost seamless. Back in the day, there were a few miles of undeveloped space between them and a clear culture change from one to the other. The newer development could well be much more like Overland Park and less like the Olathe of old.
Yes, the strip malls, stop lights and beige houses all run together now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City