Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 10:46 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Yep.

Luzianne, I don't know a single person on this forum that wants to keep YOU from having the lifestyle YOU want. There's also no one claiming that YOU are the only one with YOUR particular preferences. There are a lot of YOU's and there always will be.

The trouble with your posts is that you are generalizing huge swaths of the population based on YOUR preferences. "This is what I like, so it must be what everyone else likes too. And if you don't like what I like, you're probably just a hipster following every fad because it makes you seem cool."

Obviously, everyone on this forum is simply expressing THEIR PERSPECTIVE. But there's a difference between that, and describing your preferences as if they're somehow canonical for society as a whole.
Exactly! A healthy metro area has something for everyone, from the urban highrise dwellers to those wanting room for a pony. KC seems to have many people who just think that the entire inner city is a dump that could be bulldozed for all they care (CrownVic??). They see zero value in it and don't understand that they need a vibrant KCMO for their cul-de-sac in JoCo to survive. (You know, there are suburbanites who DO like to go downtown for entertainment, shop in Westport or the Plaza, or attend art shows in the Crossroads!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:51 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Yep.

Luzianne, I don't know a single person on this forum that wants to keep YOU from having the lifestyle YOU want. There's also no one claiming that YOU are the only one with YOUR particular preferences. There are a lot of YOU's and there always will be.

The trouble with your posts is that you are generalizing huge swaths of the population based on YOUR preferences. "This is what I like, so it must be what everyone else likes too. And if you don't like what I like, you're probably just a hipster following every fad because it makes you seem cool."

Obviously, everyone on this forum is simply expressing THEIR PERSPECTIVE. But there's a difference between that, and describing your preferences as if they're somehow canonical for society as a whole.
Well this post is a load of crap because all I ever do is post my opinion. I have never said anyone else has to want to live in the suburbs, only that that there are many who DO prefer the suburbs and in fact there are a whole lot more suburbanites than urban dwellers.

And yes, when practically every description of urban areas includes "vibrant," it starts to sound like a fad/agenda.

Last edited by luzianne; 12-01-2015 at 12:05 PM..

Old 12-01-2015, 10:57 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,228,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well this post is a load of crap because all I ever do is post my opinion. I have never said anyone else has to want to live in the suburbs, only that that there are many who DO prefer the suburbs and in fact there are a whole lot more suburbians than urban dwellers.

And yes, when practically every description of urban areas includes vibrant," it starts to found like a fad/agenda.
Denver certainly has many "vibrant" urban areas. That's why housing in the nice urban areas are more expensive than in the suburbs. Is it a fad? Who knows? Many large cities have had desirable urban neighborhoods for decades. Some people perceive the problem in Denver to be that the "city" (urban neighborhoods) have become so gentrified that middle class/average people can no longer afford to live in the city. Now, the older "inner suburbs" are where the more working class people have been pushed to, and some of these suburban areas have more crime and bad schools than the urban areas. It's all an evolution of the city.

And there are plenty of dumpy suburban areas around metro KC. Even within JoCo. It's not all rainbows and unicorns in JoCo.

Old 12-01-2015, 11:33 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post

And there are plenty of dumpy suburban areas around metro KC. Even within JoCo. It's not all rainbows and unicorns in JoCo.
Did anyone say otherwise? There are places I would not live in Johnson County. But as a whole, it's a great place to live.

Old 12-02-2015, 03:40 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,462,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Well this post is a load of crap because all I ever do is post my opinion. I have never said anyone else has to want to live in the suburbs, only that that there are many who DO prefer the suburbs and in fact there are a whole lot more suburbanites than urban dwellers.

And yes, when practically every description of urban areas includes "vibrant," it starts to sound like a fad/agenda.
Oh for goodness' sake. Just read what I wrote for a change. I said very emphatically that EVERYONE posts their opinion. Their perspective.

And I wish I had time to dig up the dozens and dozens of your posts where you make huge generalizations out of tired old urban stereotypes. You've done it a number of times in this thread alone. Just own it.

Old 12-02-2015, 04:55 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Well, it appears that no one here has been to the Midwest places in question. They are good examples of dense downtown suburban cities with lower density neighborhoods.

Downtown Birmingham, MI

[IMG][/IMG]

JOCO needs a lot more of development like this if it wants to remain competitive and attract balanced sets of demographics where jobs are already located. Oh, better increase the parks and recreation budget and buy up more land for conservation as the greedy developers will be sure to act first. Better to slow down the inefficient sprawl than have taxpayers pay now and at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City