Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 09:02 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post
Sporting KC? Weren't they originally on the Missouri side?
Kansas Speedway? Wasn't that originally purposed to be on the Missouri side?
Sprint? The American Royal? Etc. Etc. Poaching/leeching or whatever you'll call it, there's a constant pattern to JoCo/Eastern Kansas' success.
Are you serious? Sporting KC, Kansas Speedway and Sprint are exactly where they were planned to be built. They weren't "poached" from Missouri. They were planned for the Kansas side, not the Missouri side. I know Sporting KC was briefly considered for the old Bannister Mall area - but seriously, that would have been a bad location. The area around there has so much crime. Missouri was never a consideration for Kansas Speedway or Sprint World Headquarters.

And the American Royal BBQ is at Kansas Speedway because of scheduling conflicts with Truman Sports Complex if the Royals end up being in the World Series this year. It's not some evil plan by Kansas.

But nice job trying to blame everything on Kansas. I'm just sitting here shaking my head that you even said those things.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-30-2016 at 10:07 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 10:32 PM

684 posts, read 791,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
But nice job trying to blame everything on Kansas. I'm just sitting here shaking my head that you even said those things.
Said what things? Didn't necessarily say those things were poached.

All I said is that they WERE originally considered for the Missouri side first, no one ever comes to this area thinking of Kansas first. Without Western Missouri Eastern Kansas would not thrive. The main city of Kansas City, Missouri is what lures these things into the area. For Kansas to lurk and prey (leech, poach, benefit whatever you will) aggressively to get things moved to their side of the state line.

Kansas' war is against anything and everything within or planned to be within Western Missouri.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Missouri View Post

All I said is that they WERE originally considered for the Missouri side first, no one ever comes to this area thinking of Kansas first. /.
Bullcrap. There was never one thought of Kansas Speedway being in Missouri, and I don't think there was any thought of Sprint going to Missouri either.

Kansas is a MUCH better location for Kansas Speedway, Sprint and Sporting KC than Missouri would be. Like I said, the area that Sporting KC WOULD have been is the high-crime Bannister Mall area. Much better location where it is now.

Kansas Speedway and Sprint were never going to be on the Missouri side. Oh yes they did come to this area thinking Kansas first.

A lot of Kansas City, Missouri is just crappy and high crime. The main city of Kansas City, Missouri has been crap for many years until just recently. Yes, eastern Kansas would thrive and DID thrive when urban KCMO was in the toilet. Now that KCMO built Power & Light and some people are showing interest in being downtown again, you act like KCMO is something great. Not so much. Johnson County thrived when KCMO was in the toilet, and it will continue to thrive.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-30-2016 at 11:18 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by From Mizzou to the Lou View Post
After all of this time and that lady is still at it? How can a troll who hates Kansas City, Missouri so much be allowed to participate in a forum for Kansas City > MISSOURI.

OP anyone who can read can understand your concern for this topic. Truly MO, you got a hateful troll on your hands, good luck my friend.
I live in Kansas City. Johnson County is part of the Kansas City metro; has been that way ever since I can remember, since I first moved to the area in the 1960s. It's the trolls who hate Johnson County/Kansas who are always stirring things up. The real trolls are kcmo, Truly Missouri, rwiksell and a few others. But of course, if you are a KCMO booster you will deny that.

And it's interesting that there are so many Johnny come lately "experts" with no posting history but who think they know what's been going on on this forum since 2007 (they don't) and who are KCMO boosters. Hmmmm. Fishy.

And from your post, it seems your sole purpose in posting was to troll.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:12 PM

127 posts, read 132,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
-- Sporting KC and soccer complexes.
-- A lot of MO folks work at Cerner near there.
-- A lot of MO folks visit The Legends and Park Place and even Prairie Fire (I live near the latter and people show up from MO for happy hours).
-- You'd be surprised to know that there are MO people who utilize KU-Edwards and JCCC for school and work.
-- Shawnee Mission Park attracts beyond just KS.
-- There's residential neighborhood areas that attract MO residents for shopping such as Westwood/Fairway, Mission, Prairie Village/The Village/Corinth (which has some nice offerings) and Downtown OP.
-- JCCC runs a pretty underrated free art museum that I know attracts people from across state lines.
-- I know that we get people using our trail system from both sides of the border (namely, the Indian Creek to Tomahawk Creek corridor).
-- Joe's KC is a big draw on the Kansas side. There's a lot of great restaurants on the KS side - some that are just as good as the MO side.
-- Prairie Village Jazz Fest gets a good crowd from people from both sides of the line - there are a bunch of festivals like this on both sides of the line that are attended by people from all over the metro.
-- KS side has some nice golf courses - not really my thing, but still it attracts from across the metro.
-- Zip line and amphitheater out in Bonner Springs

There are others. Nobody is saying that the KS isn't more "residential" and has as much of the stuff that you would find in the urban core. That's obvious. But the KS side is still a pretty integral part of the metro, both culturally and economically. Some of KCMO's most influential people also live/work/do business on the KS side...so it's not like you could wall it off...
soooo..... nothing? I said unique to Kansas and you came up with Joes and an art museum at a community college... seriously?

Last edited by twan2001; 08-30-2016 at 11:35 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 11:17 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I seriously couldn't care less how these boards are organized.

It seems unlikely, though, that they'll split up a metro area for discussion purposes. Guess you'll all just need to pull your panties out of your butts and deal with the horrific occurrence of people living in one state and posting about another. It's all the same metro.

The "Nuh-uh, my side is better" bickering and posturing is straight up idiocy, and it's laughable.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:20 PM

127 posts, read 132,047 times
Quote:
I have to say that most everything I need/want I can find on the Kansas side. I will cross the state line to watch a Chiefs or Royals game, see a concert at Sprint Center or Starlight, or eat at Houston's on the Plaza, only because there are no Kansas locations anymore.
LMAO! you basically just said that you shop for groceries and run errands in kansas and come to Missouri when you're in need of culture or entertainment.

Quote:
The Houston's at 95th and Metcalf was the best location, even better than the Plaza, and was always packed.
... Is that why it's closed?

Quote:
So far this year I've gone to one Royals game and that's the extent of my venturing across the state line for entertainment.
please keep it that way

Old 08-30-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
LMAO! you basically just said that you shop for groceries and run errands in kansas but only come to Missouri when you're in need of culture or entertainment.
Exactly where did I say that? I obviously find all the entertainment I need in Kansas if I've only ventured to Missouri for entertainment one time so far this year. I listed things that I have/do go to Missouri for when I go. So far one Royals game this year. Whoopee!! That's SO much entertainment I have gotten from the Missouri side this year!

And I don't think I mentioned groceries or errands, did I?

Old 08-30-2016, 11:26 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Bullcrap. There was never one thought of Kansas Speedway being in Missouri, and I don't think there was any thought of Sprint going to Missouri either.

Kansas is a MUCH better location for Kansas Speedway, Sprint and Sporting KC than Missouri would be. Like I said, the area that Sporting KC WOULD have been is the high-crime Bannister Mall area. Much better location where it is now.

Kansas Speedway and Sprint were never going to be on the Missouri side. Oh yes they did come to this area thinking Kansas first.

A lot of Kansas City, Missouri is just crappy and high crime.
Actually you are wrong. International Speedway Corp originally considered a few locations. One was near KCI airport. The other was near Gardner.

But the speedway was not a poaching situation. The speedway wanted to be in the KC market and several sites were proposed. I actually think the chosen location was the best location. Had they build it near on I-29 north of KCI, nothing would have developed around it because Missouri does not need retail in that area (would only hurt the Tiffany Springs area) and they wouldn't STAR bond the retail to fund the speedway anyway. Also, a lot of infrastructure improvements would have been needed for both the KCI and Gardner locations. The KCK location had tons of under capacity freeway and roadway access in place. Finally, KCK was by far the least developed side of the metro and they needed it the most. I still wish they would done more with central KCK with all those star bonds, but the original speedway development was not a poaching situation and it has been a great attraction for all of KC.

I don’t know that Sprint ever seriously considered Missouri. I do think they played the (we will go to Missouri card), but probably just to get tax breaks for the campus. However, they had a ton of employees on the Missouri side, probably more than the Kansas side. I actually worked on the traffic study that showed where all the employees worked and where they lived before they moved to the campus. I wish Sprint would have gone downtown, but I really have nothing against Sprint. The Sprint campus has been a double whammy for Missouri though. The first time when they emptied dozens of MO side office buildings (including most of One KC Place) and the second time when the campus backfilled subleased space with KCMO companies using rather excessive incentives on top of the incentives used to build the campus.

The soccer team was kinda poached though. Kansas stepped in at the last minute right after Missouri signed off on a supertiff for the Bannister project and put a proposal together that MO couldn't compete with. The soccer stadium was funded nearly completely with STAR bonds. The stadium is nice, but I personally hate the location. Most new MLS stadiums are going into urban areas including the new one in DC. That stadium would have been great on the riverfront of KCK or KCMO rather than clear out in BFE in the parking lot of a giant furniture store.

Old 08-30-2016, 11:27 PM

767 posts, read 1,322,837 times
The first two posts and a couple of the ones made since in this thread show what the real issues in this forum are... We need a mod like some of the other forums have who steps in and doesn't allow the constant bashing and attacks to happen.

Sporting KC is in what is one of the only good options for them to have been built metro wide. Bass Pro and Sporting KC were smart to avoid the Bannister Mall area, though Bass Pro was pretty committed before May Department Stores went back on their deal with the mall owner and Bass Pro and decided to keep their store open just long enough to kill the deal. The Olathe location is an interesting one, but they're well located in Independence. It seems odd that they held on to Bannister and Blue Springs for as long as they did when they had opened up two new stores in JoCo around the same time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City