Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 12:23 PM

127 posts, read 132,047 times

Advertisements

If you look at the top of your page you'll see "U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City" then you look at the forum and you see a bunch of delusional people posting about why Kansas is better than Missouri and that is about 90% of all of the posts they make. Why not go on to your own thread because if you click on Kansas, they only have a thread for Wichita. You should have somewhere to discuss your suburbs and their happenings.

No one on the Mo side cares about what's happening on the Kansas side and it would be awesome if they could go do their thing instead of leeching off of yet another thing with Missouri's name on it.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:39 PM

404 posts, read 457,148 times
Good idea. Kansas posters add nothing to the KC forum. Make suburban KC forum in the Kansas forum. That's a lame board anyway so even discussing JO County strip malls will be an improvement.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:13 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,414 times
Because KC is more than that... it's one big metro area, and people who live on the Kansas side but also value the entire city would like one board for the whole community. Seriously...you don't get to claim a moral high ground because you live on the East side of the line. There are really great things on both sides, and if you limit yourself to one side out of some sense of superiority you are doing yourself a disservice. I drive between the two states every workday (and most weekends)...yet I don't ever consider myself leaving the KC area unless I venture far, far out...

KS KC-metro residents don't "leach" off of the Missouri-side things any more than MO KC-metro residents "leach" off the Kansas-side stuff. Both sides have cool things that add to the KC metro experience.

Old 08-30-2016, 01:47 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
The core of the city and the vast majority of KC's cultural attractions are in Missouri. Period. You can't argue that. There are a few things to do in Kansas, but come on.

That said, the Kansas side is 40% of the metro population and it's silly to not include them in the metro area. I hate the way JoCo and Kansas interact with KCMO and Missouri. It's quite ridiculous that KCMO spends more time competing with the KS side than other major metros. And it's stupid how difficult it is for the region to cooperate together, even on the most basic things like transit.

So the reason I dislike the KS side is because I have always wanted to see KC act like one cohesive metro area because I think it holds the entire metro back.

For the most part KC gets along. It not about the individual residents. It's about the leadership, politicians etc. Like tab keeps saying most of the KS vs MO friction is on the internet and the day to day lives of people are not filled with hate toward the other state. Why? Because it's not personal and most people don't care about these controversial topics like poaching, regional corporation etc and there is zero difference between people that live in Liberty vs Lenexa. Kansans on this forum take it personal.

I want to see light rail go from Olathe to Blue Springs. I want to see the entire metro fund a high quality zoo and museums and the entire area fund the stadiums. I want to see the metro land a big company downtown and not see the suburbs harm downtown. I want to see KC function more like MSP or Denver despite having a state line. And I want to see KC have an image that is not tied to the stereotypical image of Kansas.

Overland Park is no different than Lee's Summit. They are both suburbs of KCMO. For most people, that's the end of it. But for those that dig a little deeper and are more passionate about seeing KC thrive and knowing the reasons it struggles, the two cities are very different when it comes to their relationship and actions within the metro.

The Cincinnati forums include Northern Kentucky threads.
The Memphis forums include Arkansas and Mississippi threads.
The St Louis forums include Metro east Illinois threads.
The Omaha forums include the Council Bluffs IA threads.

None of those metros area as evenly split as KC is.

Old 08-30-2016, 02:58 PM

2,233 posts, read 3,166,730 times
Because the suburbs on the Kansas side of metro region are suburbs of a city in Missouri, they are economically dependent upon a Missouri city, inextricably culturally linked to a city in Missouri, and without it they would not exist in anything like their current form.

I live in KCMO and I care about what is happening in this city's suburbs. Not only that, I'm glad they are there. They are pleasant, large, important suburbs, like any medium sized city has, and regionally we are better off for their existence, warts and all, than we would be if this was a single state metro of only 1.5 million people.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:03 PM

684 posts, read 791,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
If you look at the top of your page you'll see "U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City" then you look at the forum and you see a bunch of delusional people posting about why Kansas is better than Missouri and that is about 90% of all of the posts they make. Why not go on to your own thread because if you click on Kansas, they only have a thread for Wichita. You should have somewhere to discuss your suburbs and their happenings.

No one on the Mo side cares about what's happening on the Kansas side and it would be awesome if they could go do their thing instead of leeching off of yet another thing with Missouri's name on it.
Hi twan2001,

Over a year ago I myself asked the same question:

Can Johnson County just please have its own forum in the Kansas Section?!

Eerily, we sound almost the same.

Old 08-30-2016, 04:51 PM

127 posts, read 132,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Sleuth View Post
KS KC-metro residents don't "leach" off of the Missouri-side things any more than MO KC-metro residents "leach" off the Kansas-side stuff. Both sides have cool things that add to the KC metro experience.
it's "leech" but i digress. please explain to me how Missouri residents leech from from the Kansas side? that's an honest question. I, and no one i know depend on ANYTHING from the ks side. What to they offer that is uniquely kansas other than the speedway?

Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 PM

991 posts, read 1,110,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twan2001 View Post
it's "leech" but i digress. please explain to me how Missouri residents leech from from the Kansas side? that's an honest question. I, and no one i know depend on ANYTHING from the ks side. What to they offer that is uniquely kansas other than the speedway?
-- Sporting KC and soccer complexes.
-- A lot of MO folks work at Cerner near there.
-- A lot of MO folks visit The Legends and Park Place and even Prairie Fire (I live near the latter and people show up from MO for happy hours).
-- You'd be surprised to know that there are MO people who utilize KU-Edwards and JCCC for school and work.
-- Shawnee Mission Park attracts beyond just KS.
-- There's residential neighborhood areas that attract MO residents for shopping such as Westwood/Fairway, Mission, Prairie Village/The Village/Corinth (which has some nice offerings) and Downtown OP.
-- JCCC runs a pretty underrated free art museum that I know attracts people from across state lines.
-- I know that we get people using our trail system from both sides of the border (namely, the Indian Creek to Tomahawk Creek corridor).
-- Joe's KC is a big draw on the Kansas side. There's a lot of great restaurants on the KS side - some that are just as good as the MO side.
-- Prairie Village Jazz Fest gets a good crowd from people from both sides of the line - there are a bunch of festivals like this on both sides of the line that are attended by people from all over the metro.
-- KS side has some nice golf courses - not really my thing, but still it attracts from across the metro.
-- Zip line and amphitheater out in Bonner Springs

There are others. Nobody is saying that the KS isn't more "residential" and has as much of the stuff that you would find in the urban core. That's obvious. But the KS side is still a pretty integral part of the metro, both culturally and economically. Some of KCMO's most influential people also live/work/do business on the KS side...so it's not like you could wall it off...

Last edited by KC_Sleuth; 08-30-2016 at 07:31 PM..

Old 08-30-2016, 08:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
^^^ Also, Kansas Speedway, Prairie Village Art Fair, T-Bones. And Sprint employs a lot of Missouri residents. And the American Royal BBQ is going to be at Kansas Speedway this year. Lenexa has its own BBQ contest. Renaissance Festival and Old Shawnee Days. Schlitterbahn, which apparently people are still going to. Great Wolf and Cabela's are kind of destinations in themselves if you like that sort of thing. Shawnee Mission Park with Shawnee Mission Lake and Theater in the Park. Girls' softball tournaments at Johnson County Girls' Athletic Association and boys' softball tournaments at 3&2 Baseball Club of Johnson County. Village Fest every 4th of July brings people from across the metro. Overland Park Arboretum. Deanna Rose Farmstead.

And then past the metro you have things like Louisburg Cider Mill and the Natural History Museum at KU.

I have to say that most everything I need/want I can find on the Kansas side. I will cross the state line to watch a Chiefs or Royals game, see a concert at Sprint Center or Starlight, or eat at Houston's on the Plaza, only because there are no Kansas locations anymore. The Houston's at 95th and Metcalf was the best location, even better than the Plaza, and was always packed. So far this year I've gone to one Royals game and that's the extent of my venturing across the state line for entertainment.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:44 PM

684 posts, read 791,546 times
Sporting KC? Weren't they originally on the Missouri side?
Kansas Speedway? Wasn't that originally purposed to be on the Missouri side?
Sprint? The American Royal? Etc. Etc. Poaching/leeching or whatever you'll call it, there's a constant pattern to JoCo/Eastern Kansas' success.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City