Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2008, 12:31 PM

220 posts, read 991,357 times

Advertisements

Anything good within a 2-4 hour drive for a weekend getaway besides St.Louis? Unique? Different? Cabins?Camping? B&B? Outdoorsy? Artsy? Hot Air Ballons? Wine Country? Museums? Somewhat romantic?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 06:59 PM

1,662 posts, read 4,503,107 times
Some girlfriends and I did a girls weekend at the Circle S Ranch just North of Lawrence (just google "Circle S Ranch Lawrence".) I could see that being fun for a couples getaway. More on the quiet side though. They have rooms with hot tubs, they serve a great evening meal if you choose it, and breakfast was very good. Very cozy.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:20 AM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Weston, Missouri is pretty neat.
Being in the middle of a bunch of cornfields doesn't help much when you like outdoorsy stuff. The closest parts of the Ozarks are also the goofy, touristy parts. There might be something like what you want over there, though.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:15 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasycheeseburgers View Post
Anything good within a 2-4 hour drive for a weekend getaway besides St.Louis? Unique? Different? Cabins?Camping? B&B? Outdoorsy? Artsy? Hot Air Ballons? Wine Country? Museums? Somewhat romantic?
Try Atchison, KS along the Missouri River if you crave a historical town flavor with the Amelia Earhart museum, old Downtown, and some old houses with interesting architecture.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:27 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,254,280 times
There's The Elms Resort in Excelsior Springs - I've never been there but supposed to be a romantic getaway. The Elms Resort & Spa - Home

or Branson. Chateau on the Lake is nice...

Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha S View Post
Some girlfriends and I did a girls weekend at the Circle S Ranch just North of Lawrence (just google "Circle S Ranch Lawrence".) I could see that being fun for a couples getaway. More on the quiet side though. They have rooms with hot tubs, they serve a great evening meal if you choose it, and breakfast was very good. Very cozy.
I've heard that's nice!

Old 01-01-2009, 11:28 AM

Another idea: Hannibal, Missouri - Mark Twain's boyhood home.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:36 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,883,005 times
We typically go to StLouis....

But the Ozarks is a lot of fun, at least in the summer. It's very commercialized as it fills up with KC and StL people every weekend the weather is nice.

Lot's of shopping, golf, rent a boat, go to the dam, stay in a fancy hotel or cabin, drive around and explore the small towns of the area. It's a very pretty area to drive around and just take it all in.

You got to go to Oktoberfest in Hermann, Missouri at least once. It's amazing and ranked one of the best things to do in MO.

Other things you can do:

Go to St Charles. Drive by all the sprawl on I-70 and head downtown. They have a great historic riverfront downtown and very popular river front park. It's the east end of the Katy Trail.

Speaking of the Katy Trail, if you like to bike or hike, you have got to check it out. The best places to enjoy it are east of Rocheport because that is where the trail begins to hug the Missouri River and the scenery is amazing. There are places along the trail that cater to bikers and hikers like restaurants, bed and breakfasts etc.

Jefferson City is a nice little day trip. It's a pretty city set in the rolling hills of the MO river. Tour the capitol etc. It's also on the Katy Trail.

You also have places like Truman Lake and Stockton Lake for camping and fishing. Those areas are not all built up with condos and stuff like the Lake of the Ozarks.

Of course you have Branson, one of the top tourism destinations in the country.

But don't write off St Louis. Most people in KC know nothing about St Louis, just like they know nothing about their own city (KC).

StL is so much more than the arch and union station, the city is amazing and has so much to see and do from the Central West End to Soulard to the Loop. It's a charming urban city.

Also, consider Amtrak when you travel Missouri. It's a lot of fun to take the train if you can make time for it.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Definitely don't be afraid of Amtrak! It's a good time.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:29 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,859,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Definitely don't be afraid of Amtrak! It's a good time.
Yeah, I've been looking for an excuse to take it somewhere. I've been to St. Louis too many times in my life, and I don't really care for it. I think it goes through Jeff City and Hermann, which would be a pretty neat little getaway.
Chicago would be a good option on Amtrak, but that gets to be more than just a weekend trip.

Also, Lexington, MO is nice, and a very historic little town. Lot's of extremely cool, and really old houses there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City