Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 11:31 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,233,552 times

Advertisements

Putsch's 210 was a fancy, formal restaurant -- it is where Fogo de Chao now exists (not where Houston's used to be on Wornall, just behind and to the north).

My Dad remembers a dinner at 210 in the 1960s where a lady had draped her mink over the back of the chair, and a waiter passing by with a flambe dish (bananas foster or something similar) ignited the coat, which went up like a book of matches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2024, 06:13 PM

2,371 posts, read 2,759,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricia View Post
So, on 47th and Wornall right behind the Neptune Fountain (down and up the staircase) there is now one of those virtual kitchens and Buca di Bepo.

Does anyone know what was in those buildings, if anything, in 1977?

I didn't realize the tower wasn't built on the Triangle Building until the 1990s, so I almost fouled that up.

I am going to check in with the Plaza Merchants Association to see if they have any historical records or memories.

I love hearing about it first hand here though and that it is bringing up memories for everyone.

I suggest that you call the Mid Continent Library and see if it has Polk's City Directory for 1976 and 1978. There might be one for 1977. The 1978 edition might be more accurate since it was probably assembled during the latter stages of 1977 for early 1978 publication.

The second halves will have a cross-directory where you can look up the occupants of streets. Numbered streets are usually first as I recall, then named streets alphabetically. You might want to compare 76 and 78 to see if any relevant location changed tenants on The Plaza. If both editions have the same tenant, then you know that tenant was there in your target year, 1977. You might be able to find them on the Library's website or might have to travel to the location to view the actual volumes. BTW they are fun to look at if you are interested in address history, as I am. I have Kansas City for 1970 and 1972 and 1982 so I can't help you with specifics but I am almost certain the Library will have these for the years you want.

Last edited by MRG Dallas; 01-12-2024 at 06:23 PM..

Old 01-24-2024, 01:24 PM

7 posts, read 1,730 times
Thank you so much MRG Dallas. I will look into that particular library and see what they have.

Old 01-25-2024, 06:22 AM

6,814 posts, read 11,531,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricia View Post
Thank you so much MRG Dallas. I will look into that particular library and see what they have.
Mid Continent is a multi branch library system, I would suggest contacting the Midwest Genealogy Center branch. They have all sorts of reference materials.

https://www.mymcpl.org/locations/mid...nealogy-center

Old 02-01-2024, 01:57 PM

Thank you Okey Dokie.

I did get some feedback from the KC library.

It looks like Putsch's cafeteria opened at 11 am everyday except Sunday when they opened at 8:30 a.m. for a bible study group.

Old 02-05-2024, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 872 times
Shakey's Pizza...my late brother worked there. Dixon's Chili downtown was a place my dad and i frequented when he and my mom separated for a couple of years...Forum Cafeteria too. Anyone remember Harry's Diner on Grand? about a block or so from the original KC Star building. Was a great place for breakfast. Dad would take us there after getting his paycheck from the Star. King's Food Host, my uncle worked there. How about the Brother's Houligan over on Broadway? LOVED that place. Old Spaghetti Factory was great...the side of the building still has the sign painted on it. And there used to be a small diner on Main close to 39th, can't think of the name of it. I miss GoJo's too on Broadway.

Read more: [url]https://www.city-data.com/forum/kansas-city/702404-does-anyone-remember-restaurant-70s-7.html[/url]

Old 02-05-2024, 04:22 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncar1701 View Post
Shakey's Pizza...my late brother worked there. Dixon's Chili downtown was a place my dad and i frequented when he and my mom separated for a couple of years...Forum Cafeteria too. Anyone remember Harry's Diner on Grand? about a block or so from the original KC Star building. Was a great place for breakfast. Dad would take us there after getting his paycheck from the Star. King's Food Host, my uncle worked there. How about the Brother's Houligan over on Broadway? LOVED that place. Old Spaghetti Factory was great...the side of the building still has the sign painted on it. And there used to be a small diner on Main close to 39th, can't think of the name of it. I miss GoJo's too on Broadway.

Read more: https://www.city-data.com/forum/kans...ant-70s-7.html
Speaking of restaurants near the old Kansas City Star building:

The Saturday night copy desk staff usually ordered one of two things: pizza from LoBruno's, on 18th right across the street from the paper, or barbecue from Bryant's, further away but worth the trip.

And the after-work watering hole for the news staff during the week was a place called The Pub, across McGee from the paper. Its space now contains one of those arcade/bar/pub combos.

Old 02-20-2024, 10:54 PM

Default Cake Box Inc

Thanks everyone for all the information you provided. I was wondering if anyone recalls when Cake Box Inc closed on 4704 Broadway in the Plaza.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City