Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2015, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,247 times

Advertisements

My husband is possibly going to work in Riverside , kcmo. We like to live rural or semil rural, does anyone have any suggestions for us as far as where we could live. We barely know the area at all, ty so very much, Sherry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2015, 08:06 PM

396 posts, read 998,608 times
Leavenworth County KS would be a good option in close proximity to Riverside if you want rural/semi-rural. Smithville Lake Area North of KC on the Missouri side maybe as well? Although I'm not overly familiar with that area.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:17 PM

80 posts, read 111,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
My opinion: I wouldn't live in Kansas City, Kansas or Kansas City, Missouri. I live on the Kansas side, in Johnson County (Kansas City, Kansas is Wyandotte County) - a suburb of Kansas City. Johnson County is wealthier and more upscale than Jackson or Wyandotte County. Johnson County has lower crime and top rated school districts (Shawnee Mission and Blue Valley). Taxes are about the same, maybe slightly more in Johnson County, but when it snows our roads are cleaned and we don't have trash blowing down the street and we don't have potholes in the roads. That's why I live here. kcmo will disagree; he likes Kansas City, Missouri. I don't. Overland Park is always listed on Money (?) magazine's list of best places to live.
This is funny that typical JoCo residents think that JoCo is upscale. It s nothing more than a family oriented suburb. It does not have any amenities that complete a city and facts are that JoCo live off KCMO. People do not know of joCo until they so happen to be around because otherwise Mo Counties already have those amenities. Going from attractions, parks, airport, etc... JoCo thinks having an IKEA and some Walmart in some remote area make it livable. Kansas as a whole is not even walkable, but I ll give JoCo one thing though, they have plenty of traffic islands in many of those sprawling areas lol

Old 12-21-2015, 12:28 PM

1,328 posts, read 1,461,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
Kansas as a whole is not even walkable
Most states "as a whole" are not walkable. Good point.

Old 12-21-2015, 12:41 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,555,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwiksell View Post
Most states "as a whole" are not walkable. Good point.
Other metros, however, have walkable dense mixed use suburban Downtowns with ancillary lower density residential neighborhoods. JOCO does not offer that period.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anzacosf View Post
This is funny that typical JoCo residents think that JoCo is upscale. It s nothing more than a family oriented suburb. It does not have any amenities that complete a city and facts are that JoCo live off KCMO. People do not know of joCo until they so happen to be around because otherwise Mo Counties already have those amenities. Going from attractions, parks, airport, etc... JoCo thinks having an IKEA and some Walmart in some remote area make it livable. Kansas as a whole is not even walkable, but I ll give JoCo one thing though, they have plenty of traffic islands in many of those sprawling areas lol
I love how "JoCo" is painted with a single brush. It's hard to argue that the mansions bordering the country club in Mission Hills don't represent what most would consider an "upscale community."Johnson County's communities aren't all like that, no. They're that, they're blue collar inner-ring suburbs, and everything in between. It's like suburbia anywhere. Some is very, very affluent, some is very, very working class, and a whole range exists between the two.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Other metros, however, have walkable dense mixed use suburban Downtowns with ancillary lower density residential neighborhoods. JOCO does not offer that period.
Many don't prefer density, so that's by design. Walkable mixed use downtowns are improving somewhat in some areas, but I would agree that density is quite intentionally not a priority.

Old 12-21-2015, 01:45 PM

80 posts, read 111,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Just to add that there is close to non-existent public transit. Yup, you gotta love the Kansas side (or should I say JoCo) of the metro lol

Old 12-21-2015, 02:03 PM

To be fair, KCMO has underwhelming public trans for its size, as well. Johnson County actually is served by commuter transit service that claims a ridership of 2,000 per day. It exists, for those who need/want it.

But really, most of the metro is challenging for those who don't drive to traverse...that's not just a KS side thing.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:09 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,251,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I love how "JoCo" is painted with a single brush. It's hard to argue that the mansions bordering the country club in Mission Hills don't represent what most would consider an "upscale community."Johnson County's communities aren't all like that, no. They're that, they're blue collar inner-ring suburbs, and everything in between. It's like suburbia anywhere. Some is very, very affluent, some is very, very working class, and a whole range exists between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa
Many don't prefer density, so that's by design. Walkable mixed use downtowns are improving somewhat in some areas, but I would agree that density is quite intentionally not a priority.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa
To be fair, KCMO has underwhelming public trans for its size, as well. Johnson County actually is served by commuter transit service that claims a ridership of 2,000 per day. It exists, for those who need/want it.

But really, most of the metro is challenging for those who don't drive to traverse...that's not just a KS side thing.

Dang it! I'm starting to like you in spite of myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > Kansas City