Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 01:17 PM

106 posts, read 579,773 times

Advertisements

Sounds like you are best off at Ottawa, for the best compromise tween your commute and proximity to a metro area (Ottawa is especially handy to Lawrence)... I don't think Garnett is a good compromise, your commute is less but the town is much smaller than Ottawa and that much farther from metro area (nothing against Garnett, fine little town). Chanute about same size of Iola and way farther from any metro area.

An alternative is Fort Scott. Little closer commute, little farther from KC metro area than Ottawa but a very "cute" town that your family may enjoy.

I suggest buying, but do be aware housing in small Kansas towns only slowly appreciates. But houses are so cheap in these areas you might consider keeping your house in the northeast as a long term investment and you might still be able to buy a house in Kansas--pay two mortgagas at once, cuz your Kansas monthly payment could be less than for a car--heck, your house might cost less than an SUV!

Great if you come out and rent first, then you can check commute. You should be able to handle the weather, winter snow and ice is not that bad. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 4,196 times
Default Relocating

Quote:
Originally Posted by bean21 View Post
I may be relocating to the Iola area, and there doesn't seem to be much info on that area on the forums. I have a wife and 2 children (6 and 3), we currently live in the Northeast. My wife is a little hesitant about moving to such a small town, ours is currently 100,000+. I'm used to driving 40 miles one way to work so I was thinking of looking at Ottawa and driving the hour south to Iola so we'd only be about an hour from KC. Any thoughts about this, how would the drive be in the winter (I'm used to 18 inch snowstorms out here). How would the drive be from Garnett and what is it like there? ANY information would be most helpful.

Thanks!!
I HOPE I AM NOT TOO LATE! WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT MOVE THERE OR TO ANY PLACE IN THAT IMMEDIATE AREA! IF YOU WORK IN KC, LENEXA, OVERLAND PARK ARE TWO OF MANY NICE COMMUNITIES THAT ARE WORTH FOOTING THE OVERHEAD EXPENSE. I LIVED IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA YOU ARE INQUIRING ABOUT AND IT WAS 10 YEARS OF HELL!!! WE FOUND MOST COMMUNITIES IN THE RURAL AREAS ARE CORRUPT LIKE NO TOMORROW! IF YOU VALUE YOUR FAMILIES HAPPINESS, YOUR PROPERTY VALUE, SCHOOL SYSTEM, AMENITIES, LAW ABIDING MUNICIPALITIES (POLICE, COURT SYSTEM, LAWYERS, BANKS, ETC) RESIDE IN THE SURROUNDING COMMUNITIES OF KC.....NOT WHERE YOU ARE CURRENTLY CHECKING...ESPECIALLY GARNETT! MISSOURI, YOU WILL FIND COST OF LIVING LESS THEN KANSAS. JUST OVER STATE LINE RD, A BIG DIFFERENCE IN FUEL PRICING ALONE! IF YOU WANT FIRST HAND STORIES OF RESIDING THERE, CONTACT ME ANYTIME AT[color="Red"]<Modcut no personally identifiable info in post please> MY HUSBAND AND I WILL BE HAPPY TO FILL YOU IN! WE LIVED IN KS FOR 11 YEARS.....WE KNOW!

Last edited by GraniteStater; 06-16-2012 at 04:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas