Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 11:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times

Advertisements

As has been suggested, Village West in KCKS is a good spot. Great Wolf Lodge offers indoor swimming and waterslides. Kansas City Water Park - Great Wolf Resorts - Kansas City Family Resort

Lawrence is a nice stop too. The Museum of Natural History on the KU Campus is great for kids.
Exhibits | Natural History Museum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 05:20 AM

159 posts, read 513,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceme View Post
The tours of the Underground Salt Mines and Museum are really neat, too. Hutch is a nice place to stop.

Kansas Underground Salt Museum
Thanks! That sounds worth getting off the i70 and getting a bit sidetracked. : )

Old 03-17-2011, 11:27 AM

62 posts, read 121,353 times
agree with Hutchinson and maybe Dodge, but the thing is if you're staying in Topeka and heading to the Springs, then both of those places are out of your way (waaay off I-70). if you do tour to the southwest of ks (meaning, you have the time to do so), you can take what was a two-lane into Pueblo, CO then head north on 25. also, be sure to check your map. unless you need to go into denver, there's a highway that heads southwest out of Lymon and takes you right into the Springs. much faster than going into Denver first.

Old 03-17-2011, 04:32 PM

266 posts, read 832,173 times
The Cosmosphere in Hutch is awesome. Do the full tour including Dr. Goddard's Lab and the IMax and planetarium, especially if you have kids old enough to last the whole time .

Old 03-17-2011, 06:41 PM

145 posts, read 609,965 times
I suggest you stop in Hutch and visit the Cosmosphere and the Salt Mine. Then for the evening stay at the Hedricks Bed and Breakfast in Nickerson. Nickerson is 17 miles west of Hutchinson. Hedrick's Bed & Breakfast Inn

They have exotic animals and in the morning you can help feed them.

They have beautifully decorated rooms!

From Nickerson head north to Great Bend and then on west to Colorado! You will go through Ness City, Dighton, Scott City, into Colorado - Sheridan Lake, Eads, North to Kit Carson and then straight into Colorado Springs!

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM

Geeky - you aren't that Geeky! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:56 AM

If you plan to take this little side trip.. I would LOVE to hear about your stay at Hedricks and what you thought of the salt mines. Did you know that all of Hollywood's movies are kept in storage at the mines? Evidently it keeps them from disengrating or aging.

I am sure we would all love a full report of what you decided to do and how it all turned out!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:57 AM

BTW, the road scenery is not much...lots of cows and pasture. Plug a DVD in for the kids! I used to like to find Windmills... they actually spin in the wind an pump water for the cattle. Some are really pretty in the sunset.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekychick View Post
If you plan to take this little side trip.. I would LOVE to hear about your stay at Hedricks and what you thought of the salt mines. Did you know that all of Hollywood's movies are kept in storage at the mines? Evidently it keeps them from disengrating or aging.

I am sure we would all love a full report of what you decided to do and how it all turned out!
You are lovely.

My back story here is I live on the east coast, am divorcing, and relocating across country to the west coast to be closer to my family. Since I have relatives in TN and friends in CO, I am going a route that takes me through Kansas so I can see them both. We are making two stops in KS to make the trip less long and boring across state, and due to your fabulous advice I am definitely planning to stop in Hutchinson and then stay at Hedricks. My kids would love it and it's totally up my alley.

Unless for some reason something gets in the way (ex-husband, whatever). I would be making this trip in July, and I would MOST DEFINITELY report back on it.

Thanks very much for your help.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:19 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
If you are traveling in July you will want to get to the CO mountains as fast as possible. Many Kansans go to CO for that reason---to get out of the heat. Some even plan to do their traveling through KS at night and get to CO the next day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas