U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-01-2012, 01:30 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,540 times
Reputation: 15

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
No, I wouldn't recommend that area at all. If you can find jobs in the Kansas City metro area that would be a much better choice.
Thanks for the reply. I can't do big cities - thus the smaller places are more appealing. Coming from a small town located on the top of the Rockies in Colorado, Kansas City would be quite a shocker. We have decided to stay put at this point until our teen graduates high school. Have a great day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-01-2012, 01:36 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,540 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, I surely can't recommend any city in SE KS after my experience and research. If no choice but to relocate, rent and use it as an in-between while looking for something better. I like the area from Salina to Topeka off I-70 and IF the house would sell, I'd be gone! When getting recommendations, try to get them from someone that has lived not only there but elsewhere. I joined the forum just after coming here "AnywhereElse"!
Really? - I used to visit grandparents in Pittsburgh KS and loved it. I like the Manhattan, KS area as well. Topeka and Salina are too big. Have a great day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 01:42 PM
 
Location: IN
22,156 posts, read 38,678,489 times
Reputation: 14731
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4kids View Post
Thanks for the reply. I can't do big cities - thus the smaller places are more appealing. Coming from a small town located on the top of the Rockies in Colorado, Kansas City would be quite a shocker. We have decided to stay put at this point until our teen graduates high school. Have a great day!
Well, people commute to Kansas City (JOCO) from Paola, KS in Miami County, population 6,000. That could get pretty expensive based on the price of gasoline, though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 03:19 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,540 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
Well, people commute to Kansas City (JOCO) from Paola, KS in Miami County, population 6,000. That could get pretty expensive based on the price of gasoline, though.
Could handle that population. Commute? Oh man am I spoiled! Less than 2 miles each way to work where I am. Rush hour? - not even close, Thank the Good Lord! Gonna hang out and ski for a few more years. Thanks again. Have a great day.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 PM
 
5 posts, read 8,540 times
Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by CACOKS View Post
I've been here for 5 months now and it seems alright. Not my kind of setting, but there's work. The elem school is pretty nice, new sports facility next to HS, and rent is next to nothing. The folks can be nice, but at times oblivious to others. I dislike WalMart but can't find enough at G&W. Plus, there is something to say about being 100 miles from everything. I can even get to Fayetteville, AR in less than 3 hrs.
Have you had or seen any of the drug issues? I have heard more than once it is bad in SE KS. I believe they are everywhere - even in my little town on top of the Rockies in Colorado, but they aren't rampant here and with so much to do, a person can avoid them pretty easy. Having a teen in High School makes a person not want to put their child into a huge temptation. The 100 miles from everything is okay with me - like the solitude myself. We have decided to just hang out in the Rockies for a few more years until our Teen graduates. Have a great Day!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
733 posts, read 1,584,789 times
Reputation: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv4kids View Post
Have you had or seen any of the drug issues? I have heard more than once it is bad in SE KS. I believe they are everywhere - even in my little town on top of the Rockies in Colorado, but they aren't rampant here and with so much to do, a person can avoid them pretty easy. Having a teen in High School makes a person not want to put their child into a huge temptation. The 100 miles from everything is okay with me - like the solitude myself. We have decided to just hang out in the Rockies for a few more years until our Teen graduates. Have a great Day!
As I have always said...drugs are only a problem if you associate yourself with them and the people who do them. I lived in the small town of Eureka, Kansas for all of my childhood. Drugs were a problem, but I didn't get involved with the drugs or the people who did them, so I had no problem. Usually the people doing the drugs are so content with their drug use that they really don't cause any other problems.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 10:37 AM
 
Location: IN
22,156 posts, read 38,678,489 times
Reputation: 14731
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkern1989 View Post
As I have always said...drugs are only a problem if you associate yourself with them and the people who do them. I lived in the small town of Eureka, Kansas for all of my childhood. Drugs were a problem, but I didn't get involved with the drugs or the people who did them, so I had no problem. Usually the people doing the drugs are so content with their drug use that they really don't cause any other problems.
So you left Eureka for the Topeka to KC corridor for employment?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-02-2012, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Wichita, KS
733 posts, read 1,584,789 times
Reputation: 1307
I was in Eureka until I graduated. I have lived in several places since then including in Tennessee, but I wound up in Emporia.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
 
48 posts, read 97,934 times
Reputation: 28
Resurrecting this thread....

We are looking at moving to Chanute. It seems like the town leaders are looking forward to the future and are trying to keep the town viable. That is awesome.

A few questions: Who is the preferred dentist in the area? Are rental houses hard to come by since everything is cheaper to buy? How is the local fresh produce and are there any local farms that sell to the public or have a co-op?

Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Status: "Insurrection Act, perhaps?" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Kansas
21,166 posts, read 16,876,833 times
Reputation: 19928
Quote:
Originally Posted by danisiri View Post
Resurrecting this thread....

We are looking at moving to Chanute. It seems like the town leaders are looking forward to the future and are trying to keep the town viable. That is awesome.

A few questions: Who is the preferred dentist in the area? Are rental houses hard to come by since everything is cheaper to buy? How is the local fresh produce and are there any local farms that sell to the public or have a co-op?

Thank you!
I'm wondering where you would be moving from since that makes a difference. There probably won't be many choices on a dentist with the size of the town. SE KS can be a rough area, the entire section. We just moved from a city about 40 miles from Chanute. Jobs would probably be difficult to find since one of the manufacturers, a major one, closed it doors, NuWa Industries. Keep in mind that trying to keep a town "viable" comes with a price tag. While houses are cheaper to buy, until you see them in person, you really won't know what you would be getting in either buying or renting. Poverty is high in SE KS and the housing usually reflects that unless you can afford to live in the best neighborhoods, newer homes and they are not cheap. They should have a farmer's market but understand that the last 2 or 3 years, KS has had drought so there hasn't been a lot of produce. I don't think you'll see the number of farms that you are expecting either. Most farms in SE KS raise a few cattle. I grew up in MI where they had dairy farms, orchards and fields of vegetables. You can usually find someone selling fresh eggs. Some of the cities allow people to keep a few chickens.

If you already live in KS or have visited the area, have a source of income in place, you may like the area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top