Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,529 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My fiance and I are moving to Lawrence to be near family but we aren't students, we don't have jobs at KU. Everything I've been able to find about Lawrence online centers around the school.

I understand it's a college town. I'm moving from another college town. But Lawrence seems worse. I'm just wondering, if you're not connected with the school...how much of the town is really a *town* and not just a "college town" you know what I mean?

As far as jobs, neighborhoods, culture, downtown, etc.

Any help or insights, even random ones, are appreciated as I've never been to this city. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 07:58 PM

32 posts, read 119,897 times
Lawrence is a very nice, clean town I know quite of few people who live there. Many work in KC or Topeka. The only draw back is that housing is quite expensive compared to other towns in the area.

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,139,161 times
The fact that housing is more expensive should be an indicator of the desirability of the area. If I were to live in the Midwest, I would choose Lawrence.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:14 AM

4 posts, read 10,529 times
Thanks! What about job opportunities and public transportation?

Old 05-16-2009, 09:31 AM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac claire View Post
Thanks! What about job opportunities and public transportation?
As a former resident of Lawrence I can tell you that the city does have transit known as the T. I never used it much, though. Also, Lawrence does not have a diverse economy outside of KU. KU pretty much dominates everything in the city. Many people live in Lawrence and commute to jobs located in the KC metro area or Topeka off to the west. You can get to both cities from Lawrence in about 35-40 minutes.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:48 AM

378 posts, read 1,621,466 times
Lawrence dies in the summer when all of the students leave.

Old 05-18-2009, 08:26 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,231,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athfo View Post
Lawrence dies in the summer when all of the students leave.
When I was a student at KU, I stayed in town all summer to work and take a couple classes. It was actually kind of nice - a little more laid back in the summer.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:18 PM

107 posts, read 507,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac claire View Post
I understand it's a college town. I'm moving from another college town. But Lawrence seems worse. I'm just wondering, if you're not connected with the school...how much of the town is really a *town* and not just a "college town" you know what I mean?
Yes KU is obviously a big deal around here. It often seems like every third person at the grocery store is wearing a blue t shirt. You can't drive a 1/4 mile without seeing "KU" or a Jayhawk on some sign or business. And on game day you can't actually drive ANYwhere due to all the traffic and every car has a KU bumpersticker or license plate frame.

But if you're wondering if all of your neighbors will be doing keg stands at 3am on a Wednesday night/morning, the answer is no. Its a pretty big town. There are a lot of professionals not directly associated with KU who work in Lawrence or commute to Topeka or KC. There's a growing retiree population seeking a town with a variety of services and cultural events.

Public transit is pretty good and ridership continues to grow. I personally think the routes could be better designed but I lived without a car here in Lawrence for two years and the T served me very well. The downtown is doing well - there's something for everybody. Plenty of box stores south of town (and now to the west as well) for all of your shopping needs. If it does get stale then KC is 30-45 minutes away.

While you can't exactly avoid students and all things KU, there are plenty of diversions and other things to do.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:39 PM

144 posts, read 449,443 times
Check out the West end of Lawrence, mostly residential area; far away from KU and closer to the highway.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,775 times
lawrence is boring, there is not a whole lot to do unless you are a jayhawk fan. The lake is disgusting and the river polluted. Its a safe town, I think and it is pretty but not very big. If you have to live in kansas then lawrence is the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas