Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 08:32 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times

Advertisements

if you look on the southern poverty law center website, where they track hate crime statistics and also give you a state by state listing called "HATEWATCH", you will see that the incidences of racism and hate crimes happen in places like

Pennsylvania
Massachusetts
California
Indiana
NJ
NY

just as often if not more than in the Southern cities and towns

I am black american and have lived in the south and the north and out west and the incidences of racism i ve experienced happened more in the Northern cities and smaller cities than they ever have in small towns in SC, Texas, Florida and Mississippi where ive lived.

sure there is racism in KY, but you will find it if you move to rural Pa or rural Ny, they just dont want blacks there. You probably will feel more comfortable as a farmer in KY than living in the rural area of Berks county Pa.

check out www.splc.org and look at how KY stacks up on racism. I live in a big city in Pennsylvania, called Philadelphia and we had a cross burning last year against Interracial family; we had the KKK and neo ***** march at Valley Forge and Gettysburg(these are National Parks) and in NYC we have italian youth attacking black youth at beaches.

we also have many incidences of black on white hate crimes and black on hispanic and black on african hate crimes.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:10 PM

81 posts, read 469,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micah Girl View Post
I realize racism is everywhere. However, there is something about people mentioning the KKK showing up at festivals in a booth (as if they are the 4-H Club or Kiwanis) that makes my head spin.
This organization does not wield the same power that it did when the President of the United States, Warren G. Harding was sworn in as a member of the organization in the Oval Office. This was during the time when "Birth Of A Nation" was the first blockbuster movie. The Klan today is not even a shadow of its former incarnation. They are not smart enough or organized enough to pose a real threat to anybody but themselves.

A white man living in Detroit, East L.A., or New Orelans is far more likely to experience racism in addition to a very real danger of physical harm than a black man living in any part of the south or anywhere else in America for that matter.

I know that there are several small mostly black agricultural communities throughout the south. Springwood, VA. is one that I am familiar with. It's in the mountains and it is a long way from any kind of shopping. That is something to consider when you plan on moving someplace that is waaaay out in the sticks or back in the hills.

Old 12-20-2006, 06:26 PM

81 posts, read 469,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
if you look on the southern poverty law center website, where they track hate crime statistics and also give you a state by state listing called "HATEWATCH", you will see that the incidences of racism and hate crimes happen in places like

Pennsylvania
Massachusetts
California
Indiana
NJ
NY
The Southern Poverty Law Center is a joke. They don't keep statistics on so called hate crimes where the victim is white because there is no money in it. Morris "Sleaze" Dees has made a fortune off of this s cam.

(s cam is not a bad word. why was it "****" it made it look like I swore when I didn't.)

Last edited by I_Brennus; 12-20-2006 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-26-2006, 08:08 PM

131 posts, read 578,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
You've all given me some real, important information. Of all the replies, "hairmetal4ever" was the most ... thought provocing, eh?
I'd LOVE to be thought of as James Earl Jones ... but I don't think I'd like being Wayne Brady. I respect the brother, but I don't want to give that much of myself up.

But I know what you mean ... and I think what you're saying is, if you're friendly, and as authentic as a human being ... not a role ... and you have values, integrity and character, then I won't ... um ... "run into trouble."

But I'm from California so what's called, "diversity" is normal to me. But sadly, there are "thug kulture" values amongst all races that is grossely self-destructive and too young to realize it. The crash of all that isn't going to be pretty. Right now it's a young culture and no, you can't tell young folks of any hue anything.

Add addiction to the mix and "young people" can be anyone under the age of 75 who has arrested his or her emotional development by self-medicating their emotions with drugs, alcohol ... and heartless preditory sex ... and now they say, add food and co-dependency to the entire dysfunctional ... wait ... I gotta get outta here ... let's just keep talking about those five or more acres ... (smile)

... think i got a snow ball's chance in hell??

How'd I duplicate this??

Hi, I live in Northern KY and travel all over the state for business. I really don't see racism and yet, it's not as diverse as your used to from the coasts. I grew up in CT in a very middle class town. My neighbors were black and latino (really from Puerto Rico) and a lot of mixed cultures. When I moved to Cincinnati in 90' I had major culture shock. Cincinnati felt strange. It's a nice city and don't read too much into what I am saying about Cincinnati but there was more voluntary segregration.

KY doesn't feel racist, although I think there are a lot of "rural' folks that get pegged as ignorant hicks so I think there is some sensitivity! And racism goes both ways!

So on to where I think is neat... I am growing fond of the rural areas outside of Frankfort... rolling hills and lots of land. I think you might like the areas in southern northern ky .. like california or rabbit hash, petersboro or even farther south like Carolton. Places along the river are neat.

I also like Danville, and and the rolling hills around Lexington.. Versailles.

Good luck.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 20,628 times
I am originally from Chicago and I moved to Oakgrove, KY outside of Hopkinsville about 2years ago. I am now back in Chicago. I was stationed there back in the 90's with Fort Campbell. I seemed like a nice place to settle while in the military. Everyone was very helpful when I went there with no proof of post secondary education nor proof of military background. Everyone was very helpful in finding low wage work. As I got more stable I was able to retrieve my information from chicago. I was recieved with a cold shoulder. I was told by a couselor at the employment office that with my Bachelors degree, the positions that were available I flat out that I would not get but, their was plenty of factory work that I could perform. There is other stuff about Kentucky U need to know before moving there. Like the utility company (electric) in the city I was in was a coop. U r charged to join co-op before u recieve service. They can cut off your electricity if u pay part of your bill. They can cut it off Christmas day. Then charge u outrages fees to get it back on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
I'd encourage you to check out Hopkinsville, KY. We have a small town feel with nearly 30,000 people, but we're only an hour from Nashville's ubran opportunities.

Our community's diversity and agricultural heritage are what make Hopkinsville such a fun and dynamic town. Low cost of living, close proximity to Nashville, minutes from Land Between the Lakes, great industrial base and Fort Campbell economic activity. This is a great community for relocation.

Check out www.movetohopkinsville.com for more information.
If u move there and u r not in the military ur name might as well be dirt. Only in hoptown area was veteran status to recieve a job based on weather u went to war or not. If u did not go to war U R NOT A VETERAN. There are very very few black businesses, as a matter of fact I don't recall ever seeing one. U can't tell me all of those veterans with business loan benefits none of them ever wanted to own a business. I'm not singling u out. But, I found a lot wrong with Hopkinsville. Have u ever heard of a straight 8. That's when an employer works u for 8 hrs with no breaks in a hot factory. That's normal their and the people accept it. They have no choice or they have a good job at Wal-mart or On-post. On-post is nearly impossible and walmart is a lot of run around. The rest fast food, gas stations and factories. U hardly ever see a black manager in any business. I feel bad because some people have been their all their lives and think that's the way its suppose to be.

Last edited by Marka; 01-05-2007 at 02:34 AM.. Reason: merged

Old 01-06-2007, 11:31 AM

12 posts, read 44,126 times
Default Silas

There are just not many black farmers in Kentucky. As you noted, most blacks have migrated to the urban areas. Maybe i'm not very aware, but I don't think there is noticable racial bias in rural Kentucky. Educated blacks are often in management in local businesses, members of local country clubs, intregated in large churches, teachers, nurses, etc.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:24 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,646,043 times
Default Leitchfield, KY Grayson Co.

Still on this racism subject can anyone tell me about Leitchfield?
It is just north of Bowling Green. I found a small farm that I'm intersted in.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:40 PM

109 posts, read 210,474 times
I have lived in Ky all my life, I have never saw any indication of racism.
In the past few years there has been a lot of tension due to illegal aliens, and I believe it is getting increasingly worse.
I know this is a thread about racism, I may have posted in the wrong place
because illegal immigration is not about race, it is about breaking our laws, suppressing our wages, taking our low skilled jobs, costing our state tons of dollars, devaluating properties, and too many other problems to mention.
The majority of the Ky people I talk to or hear about, are fed up with this problem.
They are not racist but do not welcome illegal invaders.

Old 01-14-2007, 03:54 PM
NWS

720 posts, read 1,646,043 times
I know most people in Kentucy are good people. For some people reading the posts here they may be shocked.
Reading the posts on this list though can make you think.
There was a post about Klan activity in the west, warnings about interacial marriage it's a shame. So far Kentucky looks good to me I hope I can get that farm.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:44 PM

246 posts, read 1,057,304 times
Default highliner

To VEGANWRITER: maybe you should consider rural Franklin county around the capitol city of Frankfort. Kentucky State University, our state's only traditionally black university, is located here, and the large number of positive minded alumni living here helps keep the trash out of here, like who was dishing on the Southern Poverty Law Center's Klanwatch site. There is still a great deal of country land here, and the area is very pretty. You can trust me on this, I would never lead a brother to a place overrun with haters or kkk scum! I've had the distinct honor and pleasure of showing many of them directly to their appointed jail cells, and most of them were from Oldham or Trimble counties. None were from around here. Bowling Green is also nice, as is Hopkinsville, both of them also being conveniently close to Clarksville and Nashville, Tennessee.

Last edited by kimmieyky; 02-03-2007 at 05:25 AM.. Reason: inappropriate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky