Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 12:52 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBNA View Post
The government does not have the right to ban smoking in a PRIVATE vehicle. If you want that, move to China.
Tell that to the state of Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 06:26 PM

285 posts, read 902,102 times
Well this is a tough one. I do have a problem with possibly losing our rights will get out of hand. If you go with health/safety we need to ban cell phone use during driving unless you have a headset. Plus all the other stuff folks do while driving, putting on makeup, reading, eating and other things that can't be mentioned on this board. I grew up with both parents smoking in the car and in the house. I have no medical effects from it. That is not to say someone else may react due to a lower immune system or inheritated illnesses.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:17 AM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
And what do Police think of too many stupid laws..... Gettin to the point at some states where they're spending more time lookin at the driver instaed of how the vehicle's operated. Lets see - cell phone talking? smoking with kids? seat belt? child seat? drinkin from open container? chewing gum?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,628 times
I say ban smoking in cars with children. Ashes fly in the back, sometimes I see the windows up. People are ignorant and if they had any sense they wouldn't be smoking around any children. It creates the "it's ok to do factor" and it's just simply not. I used to be a smoker and occasionaly have one, but you know I chose not to do that in the middle of a soccer game or play event. It's trashy. Go to a bar, or outside on your deck with your friends, or by yourself and smoke the darn cigarettes. Leave the children out of it....they get their habbits from people they are around a lot, like parents. If you notice...normal parents (for the most part) have normal children. Bottom Line - Don't smoke in the car with children, or anywhere else where kids are present..and if you can't wait.... then you are one weak individual.

Old 06-10-2008, 09:29 AM

714 posts, read 1,539,628 times
The gov. wouldn't have to interfere if everyone would just use some common sense.....And I shouldn't do this but I'm going to...

The people that don't have enough common sense to know better are the ones that in 20 years when their kids are dying from lung cancer....will sue the gov. for not telling them to quit. And scream it was a conspiracy...seriously

Old 06-10-2008, 12:48 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephanieuk View Post
I say ban smoking in cars with children. Ashes fly in the back, sometimes I see the windows up. People are ignorant and if they had any sense they wouldn't be smoking around any children. It creates the "it's ok to do factor" and it's just simply not. I used to be a smoker and occasionaly have one, but you know I chose not to do that in the middle of a soccer game or play event. It's trashy. Go to a bar, or outside on your deck with your friends, or by yourself and smoke the darn cigarettes. Leave the children out of it....they get their habbits from people they are around a lot, like parents. If you notice...normal parents (for the most part) have normal children. Bottom Line - Don't smoke in the car with children, or anywhere else where kids are present..and if you can't wait.... then you are one weak individual.
I thikn they get it more from ther peers. None of the adults in my family smoked yet my sister and brother currently smoke and I used to. My husband's mother didn't smoke, but he does. and so on and so on.... BUT I agree that you shouldn't smoke in a car with kids, it is not fair to them and it makes kids sick any way you look at it.

Old 06-12-2008, 07:59 AM

9 posts, read 26,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger View Post
What drugs are you on? Low income people shouldn't have kids?
Eugenics - are you serious?
Well, I doubt if he's serious. This just sounds like someone trying to get a rise out of someone. Read his other posts and this sounds like a complete idiot. Makes you wonder about people. In our neighborhood recently, it was suggested that someone be appointed to go through everyone's trash and rate them as to how they feed their families. The guy that suggested it actually sat on the City Council. He wasn't actually looking for trash. He wanted to target all smokers (empty cartons and packages of cigarettes)who lived in the neighborhood for retalitation because he blamed smokers for his bone cancer. He never smoked a day in his life but it was somehow smokers fault that he was sick.
We contacted our attorney to let him know that if there was any retaliation to our home, children, etc, because of his actions, that he would be sued for it. We gathered up all empty cigarette packages we could find and sat them on his door step.

True enough, once you dispose of your trash, it's no longer your property, but the trash cans still sat just inside our property line which made it still OUR property. We put out a news letter letting anyone know that if they come on our property, it was assumed that they were there to do harm, and if a 38 didn't get them, a 357 would. That's rediculous! I do smoke and consider that my business and this is America.

I was amazed at how many neighbors actually thought this was a great idea. These are the same people that I'm sure, drink cola's, buy potatoe chips, sugar, candy bars, drink liquor, and some weigh in excess of 250 lbs, and have obese children, etc. These products equally contribute to bad health if it's overdone and obesity will kill you just as fast as the foods you eat.

The idiot that posted that poor people shouldn't be allowed to raise children sounds like one of our neighbors. You never know about people.

Susan

Old 06-12-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I thikn they get it more from ther peers. None of the adults in my family smoked yet my sister and brother currently smoke and I used to. My husband's mother didn't smoke, but he does. and so on and so on.... BUT I agree that you shouldn't smoke in a car with kids, it is not fair to them and it makes kids sick any way you look at it.

What's the difference between smoking in a car, and smoking at home?Once you ban the smoking (private vehicle), you go one step further and ban smoking in your own home (private home). If were are going to do that, I say; no cell phones while driving (proven fact that some cant talk and drive at the same time), no cokes/pepsi while driving, put your make-up on at home, dress before you leave the house (not while driving), etc. Once the Gov bans such things, it's just a matter of time before your privacy is no longer yours. I don't think smoking is what makes kids sick. For some it may be but their diet, sitting in front of the computer/video games for hours at a time, snacks in between such as chips, pop, candy and more chips, more candy, and pop, not enough sleep, lack of exercise, etc, will make them very sick. Yet, how many parents allow this to happen? I for one, do smoke and have raised 10. Not one of them is obese and/or have health problems as a result of my smoking. I think that we have better things to do than focus on one aspect of a persons vices, and over look others vices, such as obesity, alcoholism, etc.

Susan

Susan

Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unique Gal View Post
I'm a U.S. Citizen from Kentucky. At present, living in Victoria, Canada. I love reading the Newspaper every day, here. Today, I read about Wolfville, Nova Scotia becoming the first jurisdiction in Canada, to approve a ban on smoking in vehicles when there are children in the car. There are other provinces considering doing this in the near future. In the town of Wolfville, N.S. if a person is caught smoking in their vehicle, and a child is in there, the fine will be between $50 to $200 dollars. It also said the U.S. already has several states who has this ban. California is one place.
I'm not a smoker myself, and have never smoked. I refuse to ride in a vehicle with a smoker, because of my asthma and heart problems. However, I don't knock those who wish to "light up".
To me, it seems that is an invasion to ones freedom, to fine people who own their own vehicles and get fined because of "lighting up". The kids nowadays are no better than we were growing up. As a kid, I didnt have the asthma and heart problem and everywhere we went, we were around smokers.
It started off banning smoking in public places, and now outdoor patios are becoming smoke-free too. Is it not a huge "leap" to say smoking will soon be banned in our own homes?
I thought this was very interresting, and was wondering how some of you feel about this also. And is it also banned in places in Ky?
I"m really anxious to hear from you smokers and non-smokers out there.

I say "be careful what you ask for because you just might get it". Starting off eroding a persons right, leads to eroding ALL rights. I say for these people that believe this is a GOOD THING, might want to look at other countries where people have no rights. I know I watched at a Wal-Mart several months ago while a lady was approaching people going into the store with a petition to ban smoking in vehicles (Tulsa, Oklahoma). This woman weighed at least 300 lbs. The two children she had with her were overweight. I stopped to listen to her explain to these people the effects of smoking around children and how she had given it up years ago, etc. I couldn't help but laugh at the situation. I asked her why she thought that smoking was any worse than her being fat and what in the world would make her ever believe that her children were any healthier than those of parents that smoked????? It was a good question. She said that her childen may be fat, but there lungs were clear. Go Figure!
My sister is a nurse in Houston. According to her, they also are trying to ban smoking everywhere, including cars. She worked on a cancer floor and I know that must be hard, but what she didn't say was how many of these people had cancer due to smoking. My sister weighs 413 lbs. Her daughters 11 and 18 are both extremely obese. The 11 year old buys clothes in womens size 18/20. This sister joined the bandwagon to prohibit smokers in vehicles/homes. I asked her the same thing I asked the lady in the Wal-Mart parking lot. Neither could give any answers that made any sense to me.

If your standing there trying to get signatures to ban smoking, perhaps you shouldn't weigh in excess of 250 lbs, and perhaps it's just a matter of time when they ban smoking altogether, cars/homes, and STILL have the problem of the number of cancers found each year, that they'll have to go after parents that are obese, that encourage obesity in their children. Not only that, then it's just a matter of time before they start coming into your home and scrutizing foods in your cupboards and refrig's. How many parents allow there children to eat snacks filled with fat, colored dyes, snow cones, candy bars, drink water, eat chips, presweetened kool-aids, sweetened cereals, etc. You don't hear anything about the banning of foods that are unsafe. How many people dies in car wrecks every year from drunk drivers, people on cell phones, etc. Yet, let's ban smokers.

I think that anyone that would encourage and support such stupid bills as baning smoking in vehicles/homes, need to evaluate their own home life and what they allow/don't allow around their children, because I don't see anyone sporting angel wings around here, and it's just a matter of time before your personal rights will cease to exist. It'd be my guess that people that support these bills are the same ones that have children that have medical problems due to their diet, their medicines, and lack of exercise. Just watch what people buy in the grocery stores that have children. It's amazing to me.

Susan

Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDavis08 View Post
FreeMarketSlave is not realitic, he/she/it is a complete idiot. This does not even qualify as an opinion. It's rediculous. FreeMarketSlave must be from another planet.

SDavis

I believe Free Market Slave was speaking tongue in cheek...making fun of the absurdity of such a law so why stop there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
View detailed profiles of: