Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:22 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times

Advertisements

Hmm, I don't even know what a mountain lion looks like. I can't imagine seeing a cougar, weird stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2012, 12:15 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,627,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Hmm, I don't even know what a mountain lion looks like. I can't imagine seeing a cougar, weird stuff.
They are the same thing depending where you are from.

Cougar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-07-2012, 06:58 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
They are the same thing depending where you are from.

Cougar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ohhhh ok! My middle school mascot was a cougar, so I know what they look like at least.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 14,187 times
Default We have big cats in Greenup County

I reside on a farm in rural Greenup County. We have had several sightings of big cats in various locatons in the county. My farm is on Schultz Creek and I saw a cougar on the property approximately 6 years ago. We have had three sightings of a black panther in the same area this spring and early summer. All sightings were by reliable individuals and all are certain as to what they saw. In addition, we have had multiple reports of residents hearing the cries of a big cat at night over the last year or so. Meanwhile we are told by the Dept of Natural Resources that no such cats live in the state. Its very frustrating and I feel potentially dangerous to humans, especially young children. Can anyone give me some input on where to turn regarding this problem. Thanks.

Old 06-16-2012, 09:09 PM

3 posts, read 11,798 times
Exclamation Mountain Lion in Lewis County? Need help identifying

I have a pic of a possible Mtn lion in Vanceburg KY. It was Chased up a tree about 80 ft. Very large cat. 90+ lbs. but can't be 100%. I can't get the pic up here because my iPad cannot upload files. Is there another way? I'd like someone to zoom in on pic and take a guess.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:11 AM

2 posts, read 14,187 times
Default Your pic of big cat

I would really like to see the pic. Please e-mail me a copy at sobh45638@yahoo.com

Old 08-04-2012, 08:17 PM

8 posts, read 28,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenup County View Post
I reside on a farm in rural Greenup County. We have had several sightings of big cats in various locatons in the county. My farm is on Schultz Creek and I saw a cougar on the property approximately 6 years ago. We have had three sightings of a black panther in the same area this spring and early summer. All sightings were by reliable individuals and all are certain as to what they saw. In addition, we have had multiple reports of residents hearing the cries of a big cat at night over the last year or so. Meanwhile we are told by the Dept of Natural Resources that no such cats live in the state. Its very frustrating and I feel potentially dangerous to humans, especially young children. Can anyone give me some input on where to turn regarding this problem. Thanks.

LOL, virtually everyone in the country, even in Greenup County, has a cell phone with a camera on it, and yet with all of these "cougar" and "black panther" sightings, no one has ever come up with a photo of one. There are loads of trail cameras scattered all over the state, including Greenup county, and all of them are on trails used by deer, the number one food source for panthers/cougars/catamounts, etc., and yet again, no one has a picture, not even one, of a panther traipsing along a trail looking for a deer for dinner. Once again, just a few weeks ago, we had several "cougar" sightings, all within the Ashland city limits, and upon investigating the sightings, it was confirmed that the "cougar" was a large bobcat. I am guessing that maybe the cougars in this area all feed on pink elephants, and, like the pink elephants, are only visible when one has been consuming an adequate quantity of malted beverages. However, as I recall, since they are not recognized to exist in the state, the DNR does not protect them, which means you can feel free to shoot one (the cougars, I mean, not the elephants), should you see it, especially if you have safety concerns.

I live in a wooded area, I hunt and fish regularly and am in the woods during the daytime, during the night, and during the twilight hours. I have deer all over my property as do my friends and neighbors, and yet I have not seen anything bigger than a bobcat, nor have I seen any large feline tracks in any of the places that I have traipsed around while hunting. (Including MANY remote properties in Greenup county). Basically, I suspect that we "see" what we expect to see most of the time in these situations, regardless of what is actually there.

Finally, although I am firmly in the "non-believer" camp with regard to cougars in Kentucky, the part of this post regarding pink elephants and such was mostly written with tongue-in-cheek and I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings.

Old 12-02-2012, 07:50 PM

2 posts, read 13,354 times
I have a pic of a big cat killed in magnolia ky sent to me by elizabethtown pd officer if anyone is a skeptics they are here I have seen them here the last 5years 2 in garson co and one in harden co and a fellow hurd them screen and I seen them both and yes 2 one was chasing the other at less than 50 yards it sounded like 2 house cats breading but it was on a huge scale .enough that 2 very seasoned hunters left the woods

Old 12-02-2012, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 13,354 times
Default cat

and have cast tracks of the one in harden co

Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM

302 posts, read 629,652 times
So what kind of wildlife is there really in Kentucky? Are there cougars and mountain lions? Bears? Wolves? anything else? Do they get close to people? do you call someone or just shoot them lol? Sorry Im a Jersey girl looking to relocate to KY. Weve had a few coyotes in NJ and NYC going through the dumpsters and in the northern parts of Jersey that are country and mountains we have bears. But no other crazy wildlife to speak of.So Im interested in what kind of wildlife is the norm in KY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky