Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:06 AM

52 posts, read 133,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
I'm sorry for anyone that looses a friend or family member, and roads should be safe.

However, I can't figure out how the state has nearly $11 million dollars for barriers and we down here in political Siberia can't even get a road finished, better yet barriers. We have running between Mayfield and Murray a 4 lane highway (80) that ends about 8 miles short of where it's going and dead ends in a corn field. Just as many people have been killed or injured on busy narrow 2 lanes roads.
Again I do not want to minimize anyones loss, what I would like is for the state to finish what they started before the go spending millions elsewhere.
I agree that there are a lot of bad roads in this state (commonwealth) and a lot of unfinished highway projects. We have a lot of those "road to no where" situations in and near Hardin county, too.
You say that "just as many people are killed or injured on........ narrow 2 lane roads" . My family, the hundreds who joined us, and I spent weeks researching accident histories in Kentucky. No other highway had as many deaths in the past year (16) as the 75 mile stretch of I-65 which we fought for. Most of the $10.8 million was federal funds earmarked for highway projects and already in the Kentucky treasury. These dollars can only be used on interstate and US highways.
Most 2 lane roads primarily are the responsibility of the counties they run thru, and therefore federal/state funds are available at a much lower ammount. If at all. Even some 4 lane highways are funded locally. As an example: the part of US 31W that runs thru Elizabethtown. The maintenance, repair, and improvement costs are the responsibility of the city, county, state, and federal monies in varying percentages.
Don't feel as if you are minimizing anyones losses. We at BarriersNow.com agree that there is much more to be done. We just need help with the data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 02:09 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,900,987 times
I remember when KY 80 had funds "earmarked". Now it's become the joke of the Jackson Purchase.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:44 AM

1 posts, read 2,610 times
I was one of the volunteer firefighters that worked that accident, but i worked many like it. That part of I-65 keeps the local fire departments responding none stop when it rains. Go to a run, clear it, head home, and knocked out to a new one in same area. We all asked why not put some kind of barriers up, but i guess we did not voice it well enough(for that I'm sorry).. I'm truly sorry for this family like i have been for so many others in that same area, and I'm proud the took this to the right people(and did not give up).. I have so much respect for this family, and just wonted to say that to them. These new barriers WILL save lives in the future although it wont prevent new wreaks altogether, but it adds safety to on coming traffic which result in the most extreme accidents, and deaths.

This is truely a great out come to such a sad event, and again I'm truley sorry for your lose. In my thoughts always.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:12 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Yet another deadly cross over accident on I-65 near Munfordville, north of BG, south of E-Town. 11 people killed. I drive this stretch of road often with my family. It breaks my heart to think of entire families gone. I've noticed sections of cable barriers going up over the years, but obviously this section had not improved yet. I've yet to understand why this stretch of 65 is so bad for crossovers. I don't see much unique about that stretch of road compared to other interstates in the region.

UPDATED | 11 killed in I-65 crash - State - Kentucky.com

Old 03-26-2010, 01:49 PM

728 posts, read 1,676,828 times
No chance for that cable barrier to absorb the impact of a large semi. Just a tragic accident. That stretch of I-65 needs to be widened or redesigned. A system of cable barriers isn't going to mitigate the worst of accidents.
Another issue is how fast was the truck driver going? In years past, I've always regarded truck drivers as generally pretty safe and conscious. However, after nearly being run off the road by one last year at the I-75/I-64 split in Lexington, I've changed my mind.

Old 03-26-2010, 02:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
All types of median barriers have benefits and negatives. The idea behind a cable barrier is that it catches a vehicle that hits it and prevents it from bouncing back into traffic. The drawback is that a loaded down truck going over the speed limit may over power it and still cross over.

A concrete or guardrail barrier would have prevented the crossover but likely would have caused the truck to over turn and hit another vehicle. I'd guess no matter the barrier freight as projectiles is an issue.

Old 03-27-2010, 07:44 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Default There were cable barriers

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
Yet another deadly cross over accident on I-65 near Munfordville, north of BG, south of E-Town. 11 people killed. I drive this stretch of road often with my family. It breaks my heart to think of entire families gone. I've noticed sections of cable barriers going up over the years, but obviously this section had not improved yet. I've yet to understand why this stretch of 65 is so bad for crossovers. I don't see much unique about that stretch of road compared to other interstates in the region.

UPDATED | 11 killed in I-65 crash - State - Kentucky.com
This section of I-65 did have cable barriers and they were on the inside shoulder of the northbound lane so the southbound semi had to cross the median then hit the cable barriers. The soundbound lane was also heading downhill on this stretch of highway (which didn't help). As stated earlier, cable barriers won't guarantee life safety. I'm sure some additional information will be known regarding this accident.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:13 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
I thought I'd seen barriers in that area. We just drove that stretch last weekend. Awful.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:54 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,194,504 times
I've never driven that stretch, but one report said it goes from 3 lanes down to 2 lanes where that tragic wreck happened.

Why wouldt hat be a factor at 5:30 AM?

Is traffic that heavy in that area that early in the morning ?

( regardless, my thoughts and prayers go out to all the families and friends of those involved )

Old 03-27-2010, 09:15 AM

9,510 posts, read 9,090,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
I've never driven that stretch, but one report said it goes from 3 lanes down to 2 lanes where that tragic wreck happened.

Why wouldt hat be a factor at 5:30 AM?

Is traffic that heavy in that area that early in the morning ?

( regardless, my thoughts and prayers go out to all the families and friends of those involved )
That is only a reference point on where the accident occurred. The semi was traveling southbound so the lanes were expanding from 2 to 3. The northbound lanes, where the semi crossed into, were reducing from 3 to 2 (which shouldn't be a factor).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky