Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM

15 posts, read 25,264 times

Advertisements

What always cracks me up is being made fun of for being from KY by people from southern oh and In....they live what...10 miles over the river and that makes them different from us??? Nah...I agree with the others..KY has its problems...all states do and looking down on others and putting the attention on their weaknesses is way of taking the attention off of your own... just like not all ky people are "regressive" and backwards...not all NE ers are snobs and ignorant of every one except themselves... every state in the union got its share of morons... none of us can help that until the government lets us madate a minimum intelligence/common sense rating...and i dont see that happening as it would put most politicians out of a job
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 11:11 PM

745 posts, read 1,719,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post

John McCain won Kentucky over Obama, a black candidate, 58-41%, or 17%. Senator McConnell won reelection over Bruce Lundsford, a white candidate, 53-47%, or 6%. Almost by three times the margin, and McConnell was a well known and well financed incumbent. I'm sure there are many reasons why we got this result, but I don't think we can exclude racial bias.

Otherwise, it's difficult to explain why an incumbent running against a white opponent wins by 6% while a white candidate from the same political party defeats his black opponent by three times as much on the same day.
Not difficult at all. The difference is issues, issues, issues. The most liberal candidate possibly of all times versus a more conservative electorate.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:52 AM

14 posts, read 67,321 times
Were all inbred and people don't understand the challenges we face being so.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:11 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Not difficult at all. The difference is issues, issues, issues. The most liberal candidate possibly of all times versus a more conservative electorate.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards nose View Post
Were all inbred and people don't understand the challenges we face being so.
LOL. Too funny.

So, alright, we're not all inbred, but I can't help but wonder what many out-of-state transplants think of us when they settle down in some select rural areas (such as the one I live in.) When I worked in consumer electronics over a three year period, I had two individuals ask me if we sold 8-tracks. I wish I was making this up. One person actually got mad when I gave him a strange look, cocked my head slightly, and simply told him "No." The other corrected himself and said he meant "VHS tapes." Note: these were people UNDER the age of 40.

I lost count of how many people confused VCRs and DVD players, as well as CDs and DVDs. People who couldn't even find their settings on their cellular phones...I lost count. Oh, people who owned cell phones and didn't know how to put minutes on their prepaid phones or how to even USE them...I seriously lost count. People who asked where the digital cameras were when they were only three aisles down under a big sign that said "Photo Center"...again, I lost count. People that asked where the new release DVDs were when they were standing DIRECTLY in front of them...probably fifteen, I would estimate, in a three year period.

I have worked with several out-of-state natives that say that while stupidity, ignorance and general obliviousness about basic societal norms exist everywhere, they are much more prevalent in Kentucky. I haven't lived anyplace else other than Kentucky, so I can't really compare us to other places, but I have an inkling they're right.

Old 02-01-2009, 03:51 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,571,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post

I have worked with several out-of-state natives that say that while stupidity, ignorance and general obliviousness about basic societal norms exist everywhere, they are much more prevalent in Kentucky. I haven't lived anyplace else other than Kentucky, so I can't really compare us to other places, but I have an inkling they're right.
And I have an "inkling" you're wrong. I really don't know why I don't ignore your posts, I really need to.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:41 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,080,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Agreed.

LOL. Too funny.

So, alright, we're not all inbred, but I can't help but wonder what many out-of-state transplants think of us when they settle down in some select rural areas (such as the one I live in.) When I worked in consumer electronics over a three year period, I had two individuals ask me if we sold 8-tracks. I wish I was making this up. One person actually got mad when I gave him a strange look, cocked my head slightly, and simply told him "No." The other corrected himself and said he meant "VHS tapes." Note: these were people UNDER the age of 40.

I lost count of how many people confused VCRs and DVD players, as well as CDs and DVDs. People who couldn't even find their settings on their cellular phones...I lost count. Oh, people who owned cell phones and didn't know how to put minutes on their prepaid phones or how to even USE them...I seriously lost count. People who asked where the digital cameras were when they were only three aisles down under a big sign that said "Photo Center"...again, I lost count. People that asked where the new release DVDs were when they were standing DIRECTLY in front of them...probably fifteen, I would estimate, in a three year period.

JCM if the ability to use electronic devices or the inability to afford DVD players instead of VHS does not make people backwards and stupid. It simply makes you intolerant.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:05 PM

90 posts, read 395,089 times
Anybody ever visit the [domain blocked due to spam] website and look at their hometown postings? My sister told me to look at the site for mine, Bardstown, KY, and I hate to tell you, I was starting to wonder about what happened to my hometown, did the education system decline or has everyone become racist? I hope it is just the nature of this site, the fact that one doesn't need to register and it has become overun by kids. I have told people who were as disgusted with that website as I to come to this one.

I know there are compassionate people in KY, ones who were hospice workers caring for my aunt, serve the elderly, helped those in need during this ice storm, I know a lot of progressive people at my college in Louisville from which I graduated.

Crime certainly doesn't seem to be as big a problem in my hometown. I'd certainly feel safer at night.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:32 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nawog View Post
Anybody ever visit the [domain blocked due to spam] website and look at their hometown postings? My sister told me to look at the site for mine, Bardstown, KY, and I hate to tell you, I was starting to wonder about what happened to my hometown, did the education system decline or has everyone become racist? I hope it is just the nature of this site, the fact that one doesn't need to register and it has become overun by kids. I have told people who were as disgusted with that website as I to come to this one.

I know there are compassionate people in KY, ones who were hospice workers caring for my aunt, serve the elderly, helped those in need during this ice storm, I know a lot of progressive people at my college in Louisville from which I graduated.

Crime certainly doesn't seem to be as big a problem in my hometown. I'd certainly feel safer at night.
You can't really take [domain blocked due to spam] too seriously. In the Hampton, VA (my hometown) forum on that site, everyone who is totally ignorant and racist comes out the woodwork. probably only kids and folks who have no business opening their mouths in public.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:34 AM

90 posts, read 395,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
You can't really take [domain blocked due to spam] too seriously. In the Hampton, VA (my hometown) forum on that site, everyone who is totally ignorant and racist comes out the woodwork. probably only kids and folks who have no business opening their mouths in public.
You hit the nail on the head! I gotta stop looking at that sight--it is making me depressed!

Old 02-17-2009, 05:23 PM

53 posts, read 94,560 times
I am from CT and may be moving to KY soon. I do not make fun of KY nor have I ever done that. While I do hear an occasional ignorant statement about the South, most people in the Northeast are (I thought anyway) more enlightened. Yankees (never knew I was one until visiting the South) are sometimes in too much of a hurry to be polite or friendly. That bothers me as much as it does others. We are sometimes too aggressive and competitive in our daily lives. As my wife says regularly "take time to smell the roses". I suspect that people in any state want the same things in life, a great family, a safe place to live and raise children, a community to be proud of, friends, and enough money to make it all work. We all sometimes judge people or places too harshly before thinking. There are progressive and regressive areas in CT, KY and most anywhere else in this world. We just need to work a little harder and be a little kinder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky