Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 12:20 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger57 View Post
Oh NOoo, ther Grit Code conspiracy theory again! lol...

I guess I am about as southern as they get, even though I was 'hatched' in Florida. My parents and extended family were Kentuckians. I attended middle/high school & college in Alabma, and have lived in north Georgia for many years.

What I've noticed over the past several years that grits are dissapearing from many restaurant menus because of the stigma attached to them. I have personally been grit-faced before but, truth be known, they are not my favorite side dish. But cornbread ROCKS! As well as blackeyed peas, biscuits & gravy, dumplings (wet biscuits..hehe) and anything fried. Especially catfish!

My favorite definition of grits is "Girls Raised In The South"

Dig~

You know Hubby and I just got back from South Florida last week and I was floored because no one served sweet tea. I was so looking forward to having some good sweet tea after the brown water crap they have up here and couldn't get a glass to save me life.

I have to admit though that I've never been to big on Grits. They always kind of grossed me out. Biscuits & gravy and chicken & dumplins though, those I can dig into. Why does discussing food always make you so homesick!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 01:00 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,172,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickp View Post
Ever heard of the grits line? It's the theory that the South begins where grits are featured on the menu, and the Deep South begins where grits are automatically served with the meal, without asking.

There's also the tea theory, that when asked simply for "tea," Northerners will serve a cup of hot tea, and Southerners will serve a glass of sweet tea. A variant is the idea that Northerners refer to "iced tea; Southerners call it "sweet tea""

Sorry about all the food analogies..must be looking forward to Thanksgiving dinner.

I believe in the Hell, yeah test: Ask someone if he/she is a Southerner, and if the response is "Hell, yeah!," you're there.

To address the topic, I suppose I-64 is as good a dividing line as any.
I've seen so many variants of this north/south? question in different forums. It goes by degrees... there's not a definitive dividing line like in that Bugs Bunny cartoon where it's barren and forsaken on the north side and lush and green on the south side

"I got to burn my boots. They touched Yankee soil."
Yosemite Sam

lol...I love it!

Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Oh NOoo, ther Grit Code conspiracy theory again! lol...

I guess I am about as southern as they get, even though I was 'hatched' in Florida. My parents and extended family were Kentuckians. I attended middle/high school & college in Alabma, and have lived in north Georgia for many years.

What I've noticed over the past several years that grits are dissapearing from many restaurant menus because of the stigma attached to them. I have personally been grit-faced before but, truth be known, they are not my favorite side dish. But cornbread ROCKS! As well as blackeyed peas, biscuits & gravy, dumplings (wet biscuits..hehe) and anything fried. Especially catfish!

My favorite definition of grits is "Girls Raised In The South"

Dig~

They serve grits here in southern Kentucky, but nobody in restaurants knows how to cook them right. I have family in Mississippi, Louisiana and Georgia and the grits and sweet tea are all better there when eating out. Grits really are becoming a deep south thing more and more I guess. Rice in place of potatoes is another deep south occurrence we don't see in Kentucky. I realize we eat rice, but in the deep south they serve rice literally in place of mashed potatoes. Like with roast and gravy or fried chicken and gravy they put the gravy on white rice, not potatoes. People here think that is strange. My son and I love it though.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:14 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,088,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiegirl7 View Post
They serve grits here in southern Kentucky, but nobody in restaurants knows how to cook them right. I have family in Mississippi, Louisiana and Georgia and the grits and sweet tea are all better there when eating out. Grits really are becoming a deep south thing more and more I guess. Rice in place of potatoes is another deep south occurrence we don't see in Kentucky. I realize we eat rice, but in the deep south they serve rice literally in place of mashed potatoes. Like with roast and gravy or fried chicken and gravy they put the gravy on white rice, not potatoes. People here think that is strange. My son and I love it though.
Most restaurants here make instant grits which are gross. As far as rice with gravy, that sounds good!

Old 11-28-2008, 03:42 PM

631 posts, read 1,886,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
Most restaurants here make instant grits which are gross. As far as rice with gravy, that sounds good!

It is good! I highly recommend it. I always serve wild rice and gravy with my pot roast. Yummy!!

Old 11-28-2008, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I agree, even Cracker Barrel here does not make good grits. They are runny and if you don't salt grits before they start to cook you can never get them salty enough. I do use the quick cooking grits, but not instant... they just aren't good.

Old 11-28-2008, 05:01 PM

237 posts, read 849,513 times
Dagnabbit! Now you girls have got me cravin' some grits & country ham.....

Missy, the next time I get close to L'ville I may have to take you up on that!

Man, I love southern cooking. Guess I'm just lucky in the fact that I haven't gained weight, my high metabolism just burns everything up! Hope it doesn't slow down!

Dig~

Old 11-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Dagnabbit! Now you girls have got me cravin' some grits & country ham.....

Missy, the next time I get close to L'ville I may have to take you up on that!

Man, I love southern cooking. Guess I'm just lucky in the fact that I haven't gained weight, my high metabolism just burns everything up! Hope it doesn't slow down!

Dig~
Dig I have top officially hate you and your metabolism now LOL

Old 11-29-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisvilleslugger View Post
Darn I missed this thread during my absence!
Welcome back Slugger!!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM

237 posts, read 849,513 times
Quote:
Dig I have top officially hate you and your metabolism now LOL
Yup, so does the spousal unit! heheheh....

Dig~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky