Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:33 AM

1 posts, read 6,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Aspie View Post
Sorry to break the news, but there are really no quaint small towns arounf Ft Knox. The area around Ft Knox is nasty, there is nothing but strip clubs, bars, and adult books around that stretch of 31W. I would try Elizabethtown or even SW Louisville

Radcliff is located in a dry county. This means that there are no bars or strip clubs. It is not one of the best towns in the U.S. but there are some very nice areas. Elizabethtown has some nice areas too, but we found that the houses are built right on top of eachother. Fighting traffic from both Elizabethtown and Louisville would be a pain. Since you are looking for a little land you should try the smaller towns in the area. Vine grove, or Brandenburg. There are some other smaller towns in Meade County that have land to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 05:46 PM

149 posts, read 764,374 times
Angry Aspie is actually speakin about couple of pink painted ***** bars 15-20 miles from Radcliff at outskirts (pun intended) of neighboring Jefferson County/Louisville Metro Area. Last i saw 2 of 3 were going outa business with "For Sale" signs on the door.

Otherwise same as any military town, Radcliff's got couple of pawn shops in the neighborhood - so what???

You'll also find sophisticated international community with amazing variety of German, Korean, Asian and Mexican restaurants. Japanese grocery store there is amazing with excellent seafood variety and weird stuff like octopus and lime-tree leaves for chewing. Local cinema offers first run movies with $3 matinee prices. And you can drive rte 31W back'n forth to Etown or Louisville everyday seeing something new like $5 video dvd shop, fireworks tents at/near 4th July, outdoor markets along the way. It aint "malled out" by chain stores. Development/growth handled by Hardin County is reasonable and prudent. It's also 'moist' not wet county meaning plenty of these restaurants serve beer, wine and whiskey - but nearest saloon and liquor store is across the line at Mead County, itself an excellent place with strong agricultural base.

And heck, we hear alot about "will i fit" among relocees on this forum. Truth is town of Radcliff's been accomodating military families moving into the neighborhood for hundreds of years. If it was me say returning from Iraq and not wantin to go back home with mom'n dad, I'd look no further than Radcliff Hardin Co with Louisville 40 minutes away. It's an excellent town with no draw-backs i can think of.

Old 01-09-2008, 05:50 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times
I love the Radcliff/E-town areas myself and we are thinking of moving to those areas but I thin the pretties is Glendale.http://www.historicglendale.com/ I personally know 31-W as Dixie Hwy though.

Old 03-08-2008, 06:45 PM

34 posts, read 144,349 times
Thumbs up Brentwood subdivision

I just accepted a position at Ft Knox and it's my dream job!
My family is so happy at what the area offers that my parents are considering following us next year and retiring in the area. All of us live in eastern PA now.
We are a young family looking to put down roots and think we've found the "perfect" house for us south of E-town, off New Glendale Road in the Brentwood subdivision. We're working with a Realtor we really like and I'm seeking objective opinions.
Does anyone has experience with this part of the county or this subdivision in particular?
We like the newness of the development and being outside of town is a plus. We're planning on owning a home for many years and since I'm a civilian I won't be subject to involuntary PCS. My job is very specific and in fact I'm benefiting from BRAC.
We're looking for a "home" to raise our family and this area seems to offer just that plus the chance to assist my parents as they enter their golden years. They would be following us down next spring.
We are also delighted the area housing market has shifted to the buyer's favor. People back east have been absolutely obscene in their greed and unscrupulous behavior. They are indeed reaping what they've sown.
Thanks in advance!

Old 03-09-2008, 08:39 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
I am confused a bit as you are working with a Realtor you "really like," but have questions. It would be quite inappropriate for another Realtor to "advise" you at this point in most cases. It could even be illegal or unethical depending on the situation.

Please clarify your current status with regards to your Realtor.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:27 AM

34 posts, read 144,349 times
I hope this is clear:
I have a Realtor and we'd like people other than Realtors to answer my question.
Thanks!

Old 03-09-2008, 01:22 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Here are the school scores for Hardin Co:

courier-journal.com»Kentucky CATS scores»Louisville, KY (http://c-jonline.com/schools/district.php?d=Hardin+County - broken link)

There have been plans in the past to open a huge industrial park in the Glendale area with current rumors than Volkswagen may build a plant there. It's probably not a big deal, but check with your realtor to make sure you're not in a possible buyout zone

Old 03-09-2008, 01:40 PM

4,826 posts, read 14,314,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinheitsgebot View Post
I hope this is clear:
I have a Realtor and we'd like people other than Realtors to answer my question.
Thanks!
There was no reason for a thumbs down for asking for clarification of your question. So you could get a proper response.

Old 03-09-2008, 05:03 PM

63 posts, read 313,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinheitsgebot View Post
I just accepted a position at Ft Knox and it's my dream job!
My family is so happy at what the area offers that my parents are considering following us next year and retiring in the area. All of us live in eastern PA now.
We are a young family looking to put down roots and think we've found the "perfect" house for us south of E-town, off New Glendale Road in the Brentwood subdivision. We're working with a Realtor we really like and I'm seeking objective opinions.
Does anyone has experience with this part of the county or this subdivision in particular?

Thanks in advance!
Hello, and welcome to Hardin County! I am not a realtor, but I am very familiar with the Brentwood subdivision and the area of Hardin County you are looking at (I do not live there--I live in Cecilia). It is a very nice section of Hardin County. The subdivision has nice homes and some nice people living there. I do know some of the developers building houses there and I believe they are quality builders. The subdivision is located between Elizabethtown and Glendale. Glendale is a great little town with a couple of very good restaurants (although one--the Depot, suffered a fire recently). Lots of antique shops as well--a very neat place.

The industrial site is south of Glendale proper, and will have no effect on Brentwood, except to increase your property values if and when a company decides to locate there. At present, there are no active prospects for the site.

I believe you will be in the Central Hardin school district. Central is the highest performing of the county schools on the statewide testing program, and it is competitive with the Elizabethtown schools. I have a child at Central, and I am very pleased with the school and its academic programs.

All in all, I believe that Brentwood is a good choice, one that you will be happy with. Feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:00 PM

31 posts, read 96,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stxdreamer View Post
Actually, there are no bars or strip clubs in Hardin County. Alcohol is served only in restaurants (no bars, no package stores). Radcliff does have a lot of mobile home parks and some pawn shops, but that's about it. The bars and strip clubs are in Jefferson County (north of Radcliff). Vine Grove is an older community adjacent to Radcliff that is very nice. I would agree that Elizabethtown is even nicer, and is the "crown jewel" of Hardin County. Having said that, rest assured that there are plenty of nice places to live, play and worship in Radcliff as well.
Vine Grove has become far too extreme with it's ordinances and regulations...there are adult book stores in Radcliff and Muldraugh.

I lived in Radcliff over a decade (Father in the military) and the city really hasn't become anything desirable in my opinion. I would suggest Rineyville if you're willing to commute about 30 minutes to Ft Knox. It is a very rural, old, small town that is not far at all from E-town, I-65, and Ft Knox.

Rineyville was the last place I lived in Hardin County and by far the best. Many parts of the city are in the John Hardin High School district which is important to many people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky