Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 10:09 PM

8,754 posts, read 10,170,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess53 View Post
I am reading over these post, as i'm really considering relocation to some part of Kentucky.
I am at this time thinking about Owensboro or Bowling Green.
I am now living way out west in Central Oregon, this is a very dry high desert type of terrain.
I miss the rain & theirs not much greenery to be seen out this way either.
I would really like to learn more about the job situation in both of these towns, I like working in Assembly & packaging
or just about anything that's light work not heavy, i'm not that young anymore.
I've studied a course in floral design & i'm also interested in Real Estate, among quite a few other types of positions,
could someone inform me as to how well jobs are to be found.
Also i'd like to learn how hot & how cold & wintery that it actually gets as a rule in these 2 towns,.
Are these areas prone to flooding or tornadoes, i'd really appreciate any feed back that i can.
Also i've read about both these towns, getting a huge downtown makeover.
Has this already been done or will it soon be in the works?
This will be a big move for me, quite a few miles from where i am now, so i want to learn all that i can before taking the plunge,
thanks ahead of time for any help at all ;-) !~!

Jess, I live in Bowling Green and I have worked quite a bit in Owensboro. Bowling Green's downtown project is currently a work in progress and surprisingly is coming along pretty well. We have a new minor leauge ball park and they are currently building a beautiful performing arts center. There is supposed to be a new hotel, condos, and some new restaurants and store coming also. I am not sure if Owensboro has started theirs or not.

Both cities have basically the same climate, four definite seasons. We have hot, humid summers, and fairly mild winters though cold at times...like the past few weeks. Not much snow, maybe a couple a year that amount to anything.

Both cities are about the same in size and amenities. Bowling Green does have more in the way of shopping and a bigger mall. People in Owensboro shop in Evansville, IN or come to Bowling Green. Both have every restaurant chain known to man. Owensboro has much more to offer where good barbeque is concerned. Both have good schools, Owensboro being slightly better overall. Owensboro has a large Catholic population, Bowling Green more Southern Baptists and Methodists.

Visit both cities and form your own opinion of each. The people in Owensboro IMO are friendlier, but Bowling Green is a more progressive, prettier city. Both are nice places to live and raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 AM

4,108 posts, read 10,804,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbee1 View Post
I am considering moving from Michigan when I graduate in December 2010. I will be graduating with an Occupational Therapy degree. I will be moving with my boyfriend who is looking for a heavy equipment/construction career. I show paint horses and will be moving one with me if not two. I would like to have land to keep my horses on and my boyfriend would like to have enough to hunt on. But I would like no more than an hour drive to work every day. I am not sure on any certain area, just want to get some ideas from people that have or still do live there. What is the weather like in the areas that you will be suggesting? Schools? Housing Costs? Any other information?
Considering career prospects, good land, great schools (at least by KY standards), and reasonable housing costs, my suggestions are:
  • Northern and Eastern Oldham County (close to Louisville)
  • Northern and Central Hardin County (close to Louisville)
  • Southern and Western Boone County (close to Cincinnati)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky