Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:36 PM

176 posts, read 650,865 times

Advertisements

This may seem like an odd question to some. We live a few miles outside of a small town, and see deer almost daily and turkey quite often. Occasionally we'll spot a fox, possum or grouse and about once a year a bear. Never saw a coyote, though neighbors have. Have seen a few bobcats over the years and once saw an otter 'sledding' across a frozen lake, which was funny to watch. Once in awhile we'll spot a beaver at a pond or lake.
There are definitely skunks around and fortunately so far the dogs have managed to avoid them
Thus the question: are there any areas in the tri-cities region that are similar to the above? I'm wondering if the tri-cities area has places like this and if so how far out are they from the cities and main towns, or would this be more typical in more rural, less populated counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 05:42 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougargm View Post
This may seem like an odd question to some. We live a few miles outside of a small town, and see deer almost daily and turkey quite often. Occasionally we'll spot a fox, possum or grouse and about once a year a bear. Never saw a coyote, though neighbors have. Have seen a few bobcats over the years and once saw an otter 'sledding' across a frozen lake, which was funny to watch. Once in awhile we'll spot a beaver at a pond or lake.
There are definitely skunks around and fortunately so far the dogs have managed to avoid them
Thus the question: are there any areas in the tri-cities region that are similar to the above? I'm wondering if the tri-cities area has places like this and if so how far out are they from the cities and main towns, or would this be more typical in more rural, less populated counties.
Wildlife in the tri-cities area? Well, judging from the photo she posted in these forums, I'd have to say mbmouse's bathroom. I'm thinking she doesn't charge admission but the parking is limited.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:52 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
ROFL!!!!!!! Thanks LauraC, you always make me smile.
That was in Greene County, which some folks do consider part of the Tri-Cities. But now that I live in Washington County I do see less here around the house. Sure we have the typical opossums, gofers and skunks can be smelled once in a while. I have seen a few foxes dart across the roads too. We did have a bear (young, but not full grown) run through the development in May of 05'. The most wildlife I see in the area however is at work. There are wild turkeys, gofers, ducks and geese all the time. This is a Kingsport address but JUST over the Sullivan/Hawkins county line. My folks live in Hawkins County, just east of Rogersville and they see a lot of deer. We do see deer in the evenings along the road side just about anywhere out side any of the larger towns.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:43 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,519 times
Hello again, Cougargm. Here in the immediate Tri-Cities region I have seen rabbits, squirrels, woodchucks (groundhogs), chipmunks (ground squirrels), moles, flying squirrels, bats, opossums, wild turkeys, otters, beavers, foxes and coyotes. Within 10-20 miles in the mountains are black bears and bobcats. Fifty miles south in North Carolina mountain lions have been seen in recent months. But I am unaware of any sightings in Tennessee.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 AM

Oops! I forgot to mention grouse, quail, wild ducks and geese, owls, blue herons, bald eagles, vultures, hawks, skunks, deer and field mice.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:25 AM

176 posts, read 650,865 times
The flora and fauna of the tri-cities is pretty much the same as here in NE PA, though I think TN has cottonmouths as a 3rd venomous snake while we only have rattlers and copperheads here.
I knew the species were the same, but thanks, Ridge, as I'm glad to hear you actually spot them in the area. The population density of the counties in the tri-cities is higher than here, so I was wondering if people spotted the wildlife on a regular or semi-regular basis outside of the cities. Sometimes by our birdfeeders we have a mini-menagerie, with some combo of chipmunks, squirrels, turkey, grouse, and rabbits as well as the birds the seed was meant for
The funniest was a few yrs back when a good sized bear came into the open from the woods behind the house. He checked out the blueberry bushes and when he found they weren't ripe yet, he sauntered over to the birdfeeders, stood on his hind legs, plucked one and carried it in his mouth like a dog with a bone, spilling most of the birdseed as he went back to the woods
Deer are actually quite controversial up here. Of course hunters complain the herd is never large enough, but PA probably has the highest deer population in the country. It's estimated that there are likely more now than before the European settlers arrived. The problem is their impact on farms, forests and auto accidents. Pa has the most deer hit accidents in the country, too.
What I enjoy is not seeing the wildlife on occasion, like a tourist or someone from Scranton, but seeing God's critters on a regular basis. I wouldn't want to give that up. That was one reason we added on a sunroom a few yrs ago, so we could 'bring the outdoors indoors' as the promo material said.

Old 03-11-2007, 11:56 AM

The regularity of wildlife sightings here in the Tri-Cities depends on the location. In the well-populated areas sightings may be extremely rare. But if you live on the region's eastern or southern fringe near the mountains, you may see any of the aforementioned species at any time. A co-worker of mine who lives along Hwy. 107 in Unicoi County has seen every species native to the region in her yard. We have a non-venomous water snake here but no cottonmouths that I am aware of. Some other contributors may contradict me on this, but I believe and sincerely hope that they are farther south.

Old 01-09-2008, 11:12 AM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
If you're in downtown Johnson City on Saturday night near The Second Level, you can see some wildlife.

Old 01-10-2008, 01:01 PM

423 posts, read 1,405,023 times
LOL!! Watch those wild foxes Williboy!

Old 01-10-2008, 05:14 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,868,950 times
Not to worry, I'm not only too old, my gun doesn't have that kind of range anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol