Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol
 [Register]
Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol The Tri-Cities area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 PM

973 posts, read 1,452,873 times

Advertisements

Me and the Wife have not been there. We have seen some very nice shots and were thinking maybe next week its time for a family outing. Us 2 plus the 2 1/2 year old. Just going to hop down from Kingsport to Elizabethton and spend the day. Probably hit the Bridge and maybe the Shoals if we have time. I am breaking out the DSLR for some work and play.

I tried looking up a trail map but cant seem to find one. Is there one available?

The trails to the Bald(s), are they Stroller friendly at all?

This time of year, is it to early for much greenery?

I want some nice Mountain Shots like I have seen.. where to shoot from?

Any other info?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 11:17 AM

510 posts, read 1,387,537 times
Spring comes late to the highlands of Roam Mountain. In early April you are more likely to see the white of snow than greenery.

I think I have seen some trail maps in the Roan Mountain State Park visitors center. They have maps that cover the RMSP but I am less certain about the top of the mountain. The top of the mountain (highlands and rhododendron gardens) are National Forest Recreation Area and not associated with the RMSP down near the town of Roan Mountain.

None of the footpaths that I have seen on top of the mountains look to be "stroller friendly". Lots of slopes, steps, roots and rock ledges- very little that is level. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:39 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,805,192 times
It's really not necessary to have a map, but here's one I found online. You'll be on the well-trodden and well-marked Appalachian Trail, departing from Carvers Gap.

Jim37680 is correct about the late spring up there and the stroller-unfriendly trail over the balds. If the road that goes up to the rhododendron gardens (and its trail) is open, I believe you could negotiate a stroller on most of that trail. But the views from the balds are much better; you'll be surrounded by photo opps almost everywhere you look, even though this isn't typically the prettiest time of year @ Roan.

Keep in mind that because you'll be over a mile high, the temperature could be 15-20 degrees cooler than the lowlands and it'll likely be much windier as well.

Hope y'all enjoy your trip to one of my very favorite places, and please be sure to post some of your pics in the "miscellaneous NE Tenn. pics" thread!

Old 04-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the info, both of you. We are the type who almost made it to the Falls in Laurel Run with the Stroller...lol. Just one tree fell across the path that stopped us. Was not easy! The Little one can walk holding one persons hand while the other carries the Stroller. Me and the Stroller with a light Tripod, full camera bag slung and DSLR Slung also... yea..hiking...lol. I really need to invest in a Photog Backpack.

I might just hold off on going up there until it is a little greener. Doing the same for South Holston Dam

We just want to break out of this Cabin Fever. Been to Bays and Warriors Path so many times it's boring to us now. We are ready to see something new. Might just look for more points of interest around Elizabethton.

Open to suggestions.

Old 04-01-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Thanks for the info, both of you. We are the type who almost made it to the Falls in Laurel Run with the Stroller...lol. Just one tree fell across the path that stopped us. Was not easy! The Little one can walk holding one persons hand while the other carries the Stroller. Me and the Stroller with a light Tripod, full camera bag slung and DSLR Slung also... yea..hiking...lol. I really need to invest in a Photog Backpack.

I might just hold off on going up there until it is a little greener. Doing the same for South Holston Dam

We just want to break out of this Cabin Fever. Been to Bays and Warriors Path so many times it's boring to us now. We are ready to see something new. Might just look for more points of interest around Elizabethton.
Very impressive! That's a pretty good trek w/ a stroller and tyke in tow.

Have you been to the Blue Hole yet? The drive out to Stony Creek should be really nice next week.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:50 PM

Thanks. Like I said, was not easy. Plenty of breaks and there were a few spots to roll the stroller ... until you got around the corner or crossed the creek while balancing on the rocks ugg.

Have you been out to the old (abandoned, almost falling down) Mill here in Kingsport. Its out Bloomingdale headed in the direction of Blountville. There is a thread about it somewhere in here. I can give you directions if you want them.

I have not been out to Blue Hole. We might do that since what you posted said virtually no hiking...lol. Plan on shooting the bridge while down there. A buddy has few few pics of S. Shoals and the reenactors were out now..so thats an option too. I have a few days to keep planning. Might go over to flickr and search Etown for any interesting spots as backups or extras.

Found this pdf page for some ideas...
http://www.milligan.edu/visit/tri-ci...vity_guide.pdf

Here is the Mill...

Old 04-01-2011, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP72 View Post
Have you been out to the old (abandoned, almost falling down) Mill here in Kingsport. Its out Bloomingdale headed in the direction of Blountville. There is a thread about it somewhere in here. I can give you directions if you want them.

Here is the Mill...
Very nice shot. Went to that mill last summer, neat place. Never knew it existed until the thread was created. Really enjoy making new "discoveries" like that.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:47 AM

11 posts, read 26,942 times
Also on the Roan if you drive beyond the rhodo gardens is a loop. If you get out at the far point of the loop is a trail within the loop and even better is a trail going off to the right that leads through the woods to a very impressive lookout. They both should be strollerable.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:50 AM

Thanks for the info Dr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Kingsport - Johnson City - Bristol