Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 12:43 PM

213 posts, read 551,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
FWIW, the Saturday I was there the Vol's beat Buffalo, lol. When I mentioned that downtown seemed dead, it wasn't an insult. I was just surprised it wasn't busier all things considered. In fact, I was kind of relieved it wasn't jam packed it made it much easier to check out downtown.
The reason that it was quiet downtown on game day is because the locals stay far away when UT has a home game. No one wants to fight the (perceived) traffic and parking problem downtown on game day so unless they live in or near downtown most people just stay home.

The Market Square businesses have also learned that just because there are up to 100 thousand people in a stadium just a mile away, most do not make it downtown.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:38 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
OP: I grew up in Knoxville, lived in Nashville for seven years, and now I live where you do. I'm a 29-year-old straight male (ladies man), and what one of the above posters said is absolutely true: you WILL have trouble consistently meeting single women your age without kids. This was the case even in Nashville, and it is even more so in Knoxville. It is one of the main reasons I made the move to SoFla.

With that said, Knoxville is a great city. It has a vibe that 98% of cities in America can't match. If you like college football and you aren't a Vols fan already, you will be after a few months in Knoxville. The game-day atmosphere around Neyland is indescribable.

Knoxville also enjoys a better-than-average economy and a diversified job market for being such a small city. Contrary to what some of the above posters have said, I really don't think you will have too much trouble finding a job as a recent transplant, assuming you have relevant skills. It's not like most employers will throw your resume in the shredder after hearing your non-Southern accent.

If the ladies are a big priority for you, I would suggest staying in SoFla until, 1) you settle down with a wife and she starts popping out some units (Knoxville is a MUCH better place than SoFla to raise kids), or 2) you get too old to be a true player/lothario and you don't mind all your dating prospects having kids or even grandkids. Then make the move, because the quality of life in Knoxville is undeniable. But the 4:1 female-to-male ratio among attractive, eligible singles in South Florida and the fact that there are tons of chicks here who stay hot and childless until age 40+ is also undeniable.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:08 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFIVEOH View Post
Oh trust me, I was far from disappointed. If I pointed out any negatives it was only to keep it a fair review. There weren't many I can tell you that. Although, the REAL mountains being 45 minutes away is probably my biggest complaint. But, considering I need to drive 10 hours just to get 1,000 feet above sea level...... that's walking distance.
I do want to point out that the Smokys are about 40 minutes away for me but the Cumberlands are 25.

Regarding dating, I'm a much older female, however this is a college town. I think that is going to come down to individual circumstances if you catch my drift.

Unemployment around here is in the 7 percent range compared to over 11 percent in your current location. Knoxville's rate has consistently been the lowest in the state out of the largest MSAs.

Old 10-13-2011, 09:49 PM

2,336 posts, read 7,030,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Unemployment around here is in the 7 percent range compared to over 11 percent in your current location. Knoxville's rate has consistently been the lowest in the state out of the largest MSAs.
Not quite accurate. Unemployment in Boca Raton is 7.6 percent. http://www.city-data.com/city/Boca-Raton-Florida.html

The UE rate for all of Palm Beach County is between 10 and 11 percent, but that includes some EXTREMELY depressed areas out by Lake Okeechobee such as Belle Glade and Pahokee. (You may remember Lane Kiffin giving his opinion on the latter.)

For someone living in Boca, the UE rate in Boca itself is much more relevant. I can say as someone who lives here that there are plenty of jobs.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:24 AM

812 posts, read 1,676,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weisgarber1 View Post
Several totally incorrect "opinions" stated as facts here.

Says who? There is no founded distrust of outsiders any more than there is any where else. There "IS" a resistance to seeing the laid-back lifestyle disappear with the influx of transplants, but not distrust. Absurd claim.

Racism? What cave have you been sleeping in over the last few years? Racism exists wherever one goes in this country, in fact, all over the world, perhaps you haven't traveled much though.

Religion IS NOT the cornerstone of existence here
. Many are religious and many aren't. The majority, like many other places, aren't.

Awkwardly friendly? What is awkwardly friendly? Most people are genuinely friendly, unless they smell a "rat."

Some of your comments are intended to be disparaging, interspersed with a few more positive observations, but your intent is clear. Not very clever really.
Founded distrust... Oh HELL YEAH!! Let's see what the the Federal government has done to the region.. Shut down and imprisoned whiskey mill operators, stole land for the TVA, and those are just the two things I can think of.

Racism.. I'll concede your point racisim is everywhere, and it's not just white folks... However, you genuinely have to look for it in other parts of the country. In Knoxville all you have to do is get people to think you are one of them and they reveal it with ease, like they are telling you something so commonplace you shouldn't be surprised when they say it. I'm not saying most people in Knoxville, or even a healthy minority are like this.. Remember I did qualify that this was MY EXPERIENCE.

Religion is not the cornerstone? Phaleese!!! Churches that require police for traffic control? People I knew that drove 20 miles past several churches of their denomination to go to the one 'popular' church? Yeah, not every single person goes to Church in Knoxville, but a very clear majority do.

Awkwardly friendly... When you are used to being able to navigate through any given public area on foot without a look, much less a greeting, it is awkward at first when people readily approach and greet you out of the blue. The awkwardness is all on the person not used to such a thing and is a compliment to the people of Knoxville.

My intent is clear? Ok, if it is so clear can you articulate it instead of insisting that it's not clever? The only thing I have been 'clever' about is smacking some reality into hik..

Old 10-14-2011, 06:07 AM

745 posts, read 1,719,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTLPN View Post
Founded distrust... Oh HELL YEAH!! Let's see what the the Federal government has done to the region.. Shut down and imprisoned whiskey mill operators, stole land for the TVA, and those are just the two things I can think of.

Racism.. I'll concede your point racisim is everywhere, and it's not just white folks... However, you genuinely have to look for it in other parts of the country. In Knoxville all you have to do is get people to think you are one of them and they reveal it with ease, like they are telling you something so commonplace you shouldn't be surprised when they say it. I'm not saying most people in Knoxville, or even a healthy minority are like this.. Remember I did qualify that this was MY EXPERIENCE.

Religion is not the cornerstone? Phaleese!!! Churches that require police for traffic control? People I knew that drove 20 miles past several churches of their denomination to go to the one 'popular' church? Yeah, not every single person goes to Church in Knoxville, but a very clear majority do.

Awkwardly friendly... When you are used to being able to navigate through any given public area on foot without a look, much less a greeting, it is awkward at first when people readily approach and greet you out of the blue. The awkwardness is all on the person not used to such a thing and is a compliment to the people of Knoxville.

My intent is clear? Ok, if it is so clear can you articulate it instead of insisting that it's not clever? The only thing I have been 'clever' about is smacking some reality into hik..
It has been clearly articulated, but in your arrogance, you simply do not get it. Why would you come back to this forum to present your "childish," some would say bigoted, views in any event? Can't you shower your "objectivity" on the Florida forum? As for Hik, she knows about you and your "game," and you know she knows, thus the "dig" you throw at her. Please spare us any future visits.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:23 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
This thread has taken a nose dive. Time to shut it down.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville