Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:24 PM

116 posts, read 420,135 times

Advertisements

I have a bunch of extended family in K'ville and was really intrigued by some of the great older neighborhoods surrounding downtown I toured earlier this summer. I'm considering relocating from Florida (would have to sell my house and find a new job first...not easy tasks these days), but would like to find a pre-WW2 home over 1600sf. in Fountain City, old North Knoxville, etc. under $200K. A garage is a MUST (I'm a car guy) and I'm not afraid of aesthetic renovations (I did a ton of work on my current 1928 brick bungalow here in Jacksonville), so hopefully that's not too hard to find. I've checked realtor.com and searched some local websites like coldwell banker wallace&wallace's, the 4th & gill site, etc. Anyone selling FSBO or can recommend some other sites to check out? Also, any suggestions on employers for a marketing analyst with a bachelor's degree and 6 years of experience? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 07:10 PM

13,370 posts, read 40,079,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TREE4309 View Post
I have a bunch of extended family in K'ville and was really intrigued by some of the great older neighborhoods surrounding downtown I toured earlier this summer. I'm considering relocating from Florida (would have to sell my house and find a new job first...not easy tasks these days), but would like to find a pre-WW2 home over 1600sf. in Fountain City, old North Knoxville, etc. under $200K. A garage is a MUST (I'm a car guy) and I'm not afraid of aesthetic renovations (I did a ton of work on my current 1928 brick bungalow here in Jacksonville), so hopefully that's not too hard to find. I've checked realtor.com and searched some local websites like coldwell banker wallace&wallace's, the 4th & gill site, etc. Anyone selling FSBO or can recommend some other sites to check out? Also, any suggestions on employers for a marketing analyst with a bachelor's degree and 6 years of experience? Thanks!
Check Metro Pulse online, it's Knoxville's weekly alternative rag and has real estate ads for FSBO homes in Old North, 4th & Gill, etc., that you won't necessarily find in the daily paper.

I don't think you'll have any problems finding a pre-WW2 home in your price range, but it might be more difficult to find one with a garage. I live in the Old North area, and I honestly can't think of any homes in my neighborhood with garages. In Fountain City, however, you might luck out and find a hillside home with a basement garage.

I'm tickled that you like this part of town, though! I get a little tired of hearing about Farragut and West Knox. I'm all for older homes and older neighborhoods, too. I prefer an old house with character to one of those tract houses slapped together out in West Knox.

I'm afraid I can't help you with your job situation. However, Pilot Travel Centers (truckstops and gas stations), Regal Entertainment (largest movie theater company in the country), and Scripps Broadcasting (HGTV, DIY, etc.) are all headquartered in Knoxville. You might check out their corporate web sites and see what kinds of job openings they offer.

Good luck!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:24 PM

Thanks for the info...I had no idea Scripps was in Knoxville, I'll check them out. I had already assumed that Fountain City was probably going to be my best bet, and possibly even more affordable? I saw some great story-and-a-half bungalows with wide front porches in Fountain City that really impressed me. Is 37918 the best zip code to search in for the older sections of Fountain City? Also, how far is it from that area to downtown Knoxville? I lost my sense of direction by the time we drove through there and Holston Hills. Thanks again!

Old 09-17-2007, 07:38 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,630,501 times
It seems that there are many homes in the Victorian neighborhoods with detached garages. 20 - 30 % I would guess. Some are new and some are converted horse barns and some are old timey garages. A few are even 2 car garages though those are pretty rare.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Any of those would work for me, but the bigger the better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
It seems that there are many homes in the Victorian neighborhoods with detached garages. 20 - 30 % I would guess. Some are new and some are converted horse barns and some are old timey garages. A few are even 2 car garages though those are pretty rare.

Old 09-18-2007, 04:25 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,630,501 times
I drove the alleys of ONK today, not too many garages but there were a few. Many homes had good spots for garages off the alley.

I think the garage percentage is a bit higher in 4th & Gill, maybe approaching 20 %.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:42 PM

Wow, thanks for checking...much appreciated!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:57 PM

27 posts, read 107,769 times
There is an all-brick Craftsman on W. Glenwood with a detached garage for under $200k...don't recall who has it listed but it would worth a drive. This is on a great street in Old North.
Best regards,
Bill

Old 09-20-2007, 05:31 PM

Wow, that sounds very promising (I love brick homes)! If anyone knows the listing agent or has a web link it'd be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-24-2007, 03:44 PM

27 posts, read 107,769 times
Here's the one to which I referred...the picture doesn't come close to showing this home's potential.
All the best,
Bill

REALTOR.com: Find a Home - Listing Detail (http://tinyurl.com/3693ub - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville