Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM

5 posts, read 6,833 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am a fairly new graduate student. I lived on campus this past year, but would like to move off campus for the upcoming year. I'm trying to figure out what the safe and unsafe areas around Knoxville are. I came from Atlanta, so I imagine it can't be worse than that

Anyway, the only places that I've heard to avoid so far are Fort Sanders and Sutherland Avenue. I'm considering living in the Cityview condos immediately across Henley Bridge. At first, I was a little worried because the area right next to the building looked kind of sketchy/abandoned, but I checked the Knoxville crime map (raidsonline.com/?address=KnoxvilleCTN) and it didn't show much happening in that area, so maybe they're just old houses?

Any information would be helpful, so thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 05:17 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
South Knoxville is relatively safe. Whenever you read about violent crime it is almost always between drug dealers and their customers. There can be some petty property crime but it varies from location to location. You did the right thing by looking up statistics on the crime map.

The Cityview condos are going to be very convenient to downtown once the Henley Bridge gets reopened. It looks like it has secure parking in the basement, BTW.

Last edited by creeksitter; 04-08-2013 at 05:38 AM..

Old 04-08-2013, 09:27 PM

Thanks for the reply! And just to mention, River Towne is actually my second choice for condos. Cityview is only a 0.86 mile walk to my classes, whereas I would need to drive from River Towne. Although it does seem to be quite a bit cheaper.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:50 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,591,423 times
You could ride a bike from either. Cityview is a bit pricey - It seems comparable to downtown condos. I guess the days of starving students are a distant memory.

You could commute from Rivertowne with a boat.

Last edited by creeksitter; 04-09-2013 at 06:00 AM..

Old 04-09-2013, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You could ride a bike from either. Cityview is a bit pricey - It seems comparable to downtown condos. I guess the days of starving students are a distant memory.
That's a good point about biking to class. And curiously enough, I think all total this is actually going to end up cheaper than on-campus housing (compared to UT's Volunteer Hall + summer dorm housing + mini-May housing). An on-campus meal in the student center is like $10 for a slice of pizza and a roll now. I'd be living with some roommates so the split cost will help a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville