Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 11:01 AM

365 posts, read 1,010,498 times

Advertisements

Eat...
All they'd have to do is put a disc golf basket in each of those 18 holes & put a cement pad at the T off, now we're ready for some Disc Golf

hiknapster....
It's really a matter of HOW people go about their chat that can be considered nosy or intrusive. Butting in on a conversation between two people someone doesn't know can come across the wrong way to someone not used to that. Even I sometimes hear something, then feel the need to offer my two cents, whether or not I was asked for it I'm trying not to do that anymore, but sometimes it's hard. Everyone does have a different comfort level, like you've said.

Actually, I'd be coming down to visit, not up (I'm in Wisconsin)
Can't wait to visit!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2008, 11:27 AM

4,725 posts, read 10,135,408 times
I am glad that you'll be able to visit, dlk. That will really help you to decide where you feel the best! It sounds like to have some good search plans already.

When we speak of chit-chat in different public places to get a feel of the people's demeanor and how you feel around them, we don't mean to put yourself into someone's conversation. But, just simple remarks to the hotel attendant, like "Where would you recommend a good steak dinner?" often leads to a 3 or 4 minute conversation that can speak volumes!

In the grocery store waiting in line to the idle person next to you, "Is it always this busy during the week? It must be a popular store with folks." can again lead to a mimi-chat that will give you an idea of what local folks think about the area, how they feel about out-of-staters and just a hint of the culture of the area. It all helps a lot in deciding if this is a place that you want to give the rest of your years to.

Happy trails to you and I hope that you find a spot in E. TN that just feels like home. We have and can't wait to make the move!

Old 03-22-2008, 12:56 PM

gemkeeper....
I was more concerned about other people putting themselves into my "personal" conversation. I wouldn't have a problem striking up a little conversation if the other person seems open to it I've done that before just being on vacation, the information I get would be very valuable since it would be concerning a place we would want to give the rest of our years to

Hope you find happiness in your decision, hopefully we won't be to far behind you in that move

Old 03-22-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
gemkeeper....
I was more concerned about other people putting themselves into my "personal" conversation. I wouldn't have a problem striking up a little conversation if the other person seems open to it I've done that before just being on vacation, the information I get would be very valuable since it would be concerning a place we would want to give the rest of our years to

Hope you find happiness in your decision, hopefully we won't be to far behind you in that move
Thanks for the well wishes, dlk.

That is funny! I thought that you were concerned about talking to other people to try to see what folks in the area were like. Instead, you are concerned with keeping a little privacy in your own conversations.

In most of the SE US you might want to whisper, then! You don't have to worry about carrying on a conversation with some people in the south. They are so friendly and anxious to share what Aunt Clara is serving everybody for Sunday dinner and what that old coon dog got into last week that you won't have to say a word! But, the folks talking with you will walk away thinking what a great conversationist you are!

That is one of the things that DH and I find so endearing about the area. No one is shy about sharing their garden bounty, their hospitality or their personal current events.

I certainly don't think you will have any problem with having your ear talked off when you aren't interested either. Folks get the idea right away if you don't feel like talking. If someone starts up a conversation, just say "hmmph", and the conversation is over.

If you like real open, friendly, helpful folks without asking first, you will enjoy the people of Tennessee. Any place you go will have friendly, neighborly people. We always had good neighbors in MI, PA, and MA, but in TN it seems to be the majority of the folks we have met, even casually. I am sure that is the case in the Tri-cities area, as well as, the Knoxville area.

Visit and then let us know your impressions.

Old 03-22-2008, 02:55 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,720 times
My knees are also shot, that's why I garden in pots now. Lots of really big pots and half barrels. And water gardens.
When you do move to Tennessee, do join us at the Plant Swap. The one in Knoxville -- at the disc golf course -- is fairly small but super friendly and great place to meet people.
Knoxville Plant Swap
There's a huge swap in Middle Tennessee that's always worth the trip.
Middle TN Plant Swap

Old 03-22-2008, 03:02 PM

Smile Thanks for the links, knoxgarden!

Thanks, knoxgarden. The links look great. I do a lot of my gardening in half-barrels these days, too. They will hold quite a bit, look great and sure save the knees and back. I like to use a stool with wheels on the patio to garden.
I will definitely be visiting the swap in Knoxville. It looks like a beautiful setting there, as well. What a nice way to meet other people with shared interests!

Old 03-23-2008, 10:12 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,349,620 times
Knoxgarden-
Hey thanks for the plant swap link. How cool is that?? I can't wait to have my own garden so I can swap plants one day. I sure do miss my garden in upstate NY.
Pam

Old 03-24-2008, 07:41 AM

Since this thread is winding down, there is something I wanted to mention. The fact that Tn. has a statewide smoking ban has had a lot to do with our decision to move there over other states of interest. We have the same thing where we live now in Madison, Wi., but it isn't statewide. I personally would not care to take a step backwards, moving somewhere that doesn't have a no smoking ban. Since there will be others considering a move who will be reading these posts, I think that it could be valuable information to some.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,142,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlk33 View Post
Since this thread is winding down, there is something I wanted to mention. The fact that Tn. has a statewide smoking ban has had a lot to do with our decision to move there over other states of interest. We have the same thing where we live now in Madison, Wi., but it isn't statewide. I personally would not care to take a step backwards, moving somewhere that doesn't have a no smoking ban. Since there will be others considering a move who will be reading these posts, I think that it could be valuable information to some.

Thank Kentucky. When such a major tobacco state banned smoking in restaurants, the handwriting was on the wall. Tennessee followed soon after.

Old 03-24-2008, 08:16 AM

I've come up with a couple of questions....
I was wondering, do people there who live on one side of the city do most everything within that side or do they drive to the other side of the city? I know that here, if one lives on on the west side of town, they do most everything on that side of town, even if the drive to the east side is less then 30 min. away. (Not me though)

What desirable neighborhoods are within a 15 min. drive to either Victor Ashe Park or Morningside Park?
How far away is Turkey Creek shopping center from West Town Mall?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville