Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 06:36 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times

Advertisements

Weather Reports are that most of the eastern US is experiencing this extreme weather, unfortunately. Here is a link to the family owned Front Porch. They may be closed for the 4th. They also take reservations which is a big plus in my book if I am on a schedule. The owner is a really great guy and his daughter that runs their little gift shop upstairs is precious.

My daughter in love and her family are all from Powell (going back generations) and are well known in that community; of course they love it and won't live anywhere else. I personally have had a hard time getting loving the physical location as much as other areas in East TN. Emory Road has a lot of wrecks on it (like Alcoa Hwy) so take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2018, 08:06 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,281,046 times
I'm enjoying your reports on areas you are visiting. It sounds like Maryville is top on your list right now. I've always wanted to visit the area so will keep reading your postings. Have a good trip and enjoy TN.

Old 07-04-2018, 06:55 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
I love norris!

Old 07-04-2018, 09:07 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
My daughter in love and her family are all from Powell (going back generations) and are well known in that community; of course they love it and won't live anywhere else.
OT, but if that wasn't a typo I love it, may steal it if my kiddos ever decide to settle down with someone.

Old 07-04-2018, 10:32 PM

233 posts, read 306,161 times
I caught that too...

Old 07-05-2018, 06:21 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
OK Norris Lake was spectacular. I heard it was very clear but had no idea it looked so blue from above. Why is it that it's so clear? Went through Clinton as well as Norris where they were having the annual "Norris Day" festival but it was just too hot to walk around according to the wife. What a lovely little town that is, reminded us of a resort with small well kept homes everywhere.

We couldn't make The Front Porch as it was closed for the 4th as was the place I purchased a Groupon for, Momma Mia's. This is why I only did this one Groupon, I didn't want to get tied down to a certain place. Now we are tied down and can't make The Front Porch, too bad I was ready to try shrimp and grits and that place looked great.

Haven't seen a lot of Powell but we're pretty sure we want Maryville, we're kind of big on mountain views which is what I liked so much about the Tri-Cities. Taking the drive from Louisville (you pronounce the S unlike the one in KY, surprising) I was reminded how pretty the mountain views are between Knoxville and Maryville. Today we finally see Knoxville. Market Square, Ijams Nature Center, maybe the World's Fair Park but we really just want to drive around and get a feel for the place.

Old 07-05-2018, 07:40 AM

Loving these reports, Dave. Glad it was a good day!

My remark earlier wasn't a typo. It's what I call her if I am not using her name.

Old 07-05-2018, 10:51 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
So glad you're enjoying your visit Dave. Welcome to East Tennessee and happy that you are liking what you've seen so far.

Old 07-05-2018, 12:49 PM

16,279 posts, read 10,418,527 times
OK another update. Ijams Nature Center is an amazing jewel right next to a major city. It was brutally hot to be hiking up the hills of the path that goes along the river but worth every sweaty step. Got our first real look at Knoxville and again were very happy with what we saw. It is also very pretty, at least the parts we saw which was near the school and of course Market Square. We saw the signs for Old Town or is it Old City but not sure we actually found it as we traveled north on Gay St.

I can see why it's so easy to get around, that network of highways through the heart of the city is fantastic and something my hometown of Washington DC just never developed. It sure makes getting around easy. The meter didn't want to take my quarters so we rolled with it, only to find a ticket. Even the parking tickets are cheap at $16. I think they are like $50 in DC but that's just a money grab. But to be honest the cost for meals out, beer and wine, most everything was almost identical to Maryland. But the price of gas, golf, taxes, homes etc are much lower obviously.

Tomorrow we look at homes in south Knoxville area before heading to Johnson City on our way home.

Old 07-05-2018, 03:16 PM

Ijams is a treasure! I have hiked that path you went on many times before. My girlfriend took their strawbale gardening course this spring and you would not believe what all her garden is producing! Amazing!

I think those sensor parking meters have their own minds. Sorry about the ticket.

I love South Knoxville and think you will find it interesting that you can be that "out in the country" but that close to the city.

Safe travels.

Be sure to post in the Tri Cities forum about your experiences in JC! Oh, and when you are up in the Tri Cities be sure to stop at Pal's. It's the fast food place with the hot dog on top. You can read about it here: https://palsweb.com

They are a Malcolm Baldrige Award Winner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville