Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 10:57 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajones11 View Post
I currently live in West Knoxville (was born and raised here and am 31 years old) In my opinion, I would not consider living anywhere else in Knoxville except maybe N. Knoxville. The real estate market does very well in WEST knoxville... and it has the most development, nicest neighborhoods, lowest crime, and better schools.
West Knoxville is certainly popular, but I absolutely disagree with the statement that it has the better schools. It has the wealthiest students and the most educated parents. But my students here at U.T. who were educated in other parts of Knox County are just as well prepared for the rigors of college as those who were educated at Farragut or Bearden. A high school in an agricultural area like Carter has the exact same curriculum, the same textbooks, the same dedicated teacher pool as the high school among the mcmansions of Farragut. And frankly, I'd rather have my kids go to a school like Carter or Gibbs or Halls or Powell where they're around kids from all walks of life and all socio-economic backgrounds.

I also question whether West Knox has the lowest crime. When I was in East Knox County, there was ZERO crime. It's hard to get lower than that. But that's just my personal experience; I don't doubt that there's little crime in West Knox, I'm just saying that there are other parts of the county that also have very little crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 03:32 PM

39 posts, read 225,834 times
sunshinebaby,

You get what you pay for! If you have a question about an area call the police dept. and they should tell you what you want. Remember there is price and there is cost! sometimes the price of what you are buying sounds good , but what is the cost ?

I am a Realtor in Knoxville tn and I see people buying homes without checking the area around them only to resale later. Bob

Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM

17 posts, read 84,313 times
Farragut is not all "mcMansions"--granted I don't care for Farragut, but I was raised in the Bearden area, and it is definately not all "mcmansions" or kids not from different socio-economic backgrounds--we were/are a middleclass family,living in a middle class area (off of Ebenezer road-Bexhill, Beninington, Farmington, Bluegrass,etc.)--I have never seen or heard of ANY violent crimes in this area-period. I have also heard of great things in N.Knoxville--but the area is more run-down, and there are homeless, etc. around Broadway at any given time, ( I work w/ people in poverty for a living, so I am not being hateful here-- just pointing out that when you have a 3 year old, may not want them breezing thru the neighborhoods as comfortably as you would in other areas--such as W. Knox).

Old 03-28-2007, 08:24 AM

9 posts, read 22,597 times
Back to East Knox....yes, reputation of within city is bad for crime. But just 25minutes from UT--straw plains, toward Dandridge, Jefferson and Sevier Counties--lies arguably some of the most beautiful and safe areas in East TN. I am native of upstate NY, have lived 17 years in Farragut, but this is what feels like home (please ignore the redundant horse pix. Riding over 500 acres of mountains and across Holston River is far more effective than any prozac):
http://picasaweb.google.com/esthavera/20070314185217?authkey=toqW6Fx26QI (broken link)

Old 03-28-2007, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stecia View Post
Back to East Knox....yes, reputation of within city is bad for crime. But just 25minutes from UT--straw plains, toward Dandridge, Jefferson and Sevier Counties--lies arguably some of the most beautiful and safe areas in East TN. I am native of upstate NY, have lived 17 years in Farragut, but this is what feels like home (please ignore the redundant horse pix. Riding over 500 acres of mountains and across Holston River is far more effective than any prozac):
http://picasaweb.google.com/esthavera/20070314185217?authkey=toqW6Fx26QI (broken link)
What beautiful pictures!! And I agree, East Knox County is definitely one of the safest areas in the state, certainly in the county. And it took me less time to get to U.T. / downtown than those poor suckers who got duped into thinking that only Farragut and West Knox have safe areas and good schools.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:15 PM

83 posts, read 403,051 times
I am officially pea green with envy. Those pictures are outstanding and boy do i want to go riding. Last time I went was before kids and I went out to Montana and herded me some cows. LOL Rode all through the mountains and raced across the mountain tops like in and old western. Did I say I was jealous? LOL

Old 04-05-2007, 09:52 PM

140 posts, read 606,317 times
This 'media' problem is why it is so difficult to find a decent and safe place to relocate to. One cannot even trust the Chamber of Commerce website --where does one find the truth about an area? Why is it that hard working, middle-class people can't find a safe place to live in their own Country? To think a group of thugs can commit such a horrendous crime and have it go on for so long in the courts. What has happened to this country? I was considering TN -- now I'm having second thoughts -- a scary thing when the only decent neighborhoods are in dreamland (old movies to be more specific). All this social engineering has ruined this Country.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:37 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Quote:
But my students here at U.T. who were educated in other parts of Knox County are just as well prepared for the rigors of college as those who were educated at Farragut or Bearden.
Ah, hey prof! I'm a student myself (in the 37916 area).

Agreed mostly about the assessments of Magnolia. Most of East Knox is just older than Farragut, and sometimes that lends itself to scarier looking communities. But remember, ramshackle =/= murder.

I'd way, way rather live in East / North Knox than West, which has too much sprawl, traffic, and strip malls out the wazoo.

(But I also really like some of the area in Bearden, north of Kingston Pike)

Old 04-08-2007, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Ah, hey prof! I'm a student myself (in the 37916 area).

Agreed mostly about the assessments of Magnolia. Most of East Knox is just older than Farragut, and sometimes that lends itself to scarier looking communities. But remember, ramshackle =/= murder.

I'd way, way rather live in East / North Knox than West, which has too much sprawl, traffic, and strip malls out the wazoo.

(But I also really like some of the area in Bearden, north of Kingston Pike)
I'm with you! I definitely prefer life here in North Knox compared to the nightmare of West Knox which I put up with for 6 months.

I was at a Cuban restaurant in Fountain City that just opened a couple of months ago. It had formerly been in West Knox. The owner told me yesterday that his clientel in Fountain City is sooooo much nicer and so much more respectful than the clientel he had in West Knox. I didn't even ask him about it; he just volunteered that information when I said something like "It's nice to have you in our part of Knoxville."

There are some really cool neighborhoods in East Knox, too, with some beautiful old homes.

Old 04-08-2007, 07:52 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm with you! I definitely prefer life here in North Knox compared to the nightmare of West Knox which I put up with for 6 months.

I was at a Cuban restaurant in Fountain City that just opened a couple of months ago. It had formerly been in West Knox. The owner told me yesterday that his clientel in Fountain City is sooooo much nicer and so much more respectful than the clientel he had in West Knox. I didn't even ask him about it; he just volunteered that information when I said something like "It's nice to have you in our part of Knoxville."

There are some really cool neighborhoods in East Knox, too, with some beautiful old homes.
Boy, isn't that the truth? Any problems I have had has been with customers in West Knoxville, and every one of them has been transplants.

Is everyone a jerk in West Knoxville? Of course not. But I'm afraid a lot of these rude, demanding jerks are going to start polluting the other areas of Knoxville and it will never be the same!

I dealt with someone the day before Christmas Eve that felt that Tennesseans were such hard-up losers that they would drop their family plans and jump at a one-hundred dollar bill. They treat people around here like they are slooooooow and stuuuuupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville