Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 12:23 AM

541 posts, read 1,225,025 times

Advertisements

Well, part of the reason you don't see the massive number of college graduates in Knoxville is because it isn't the largest surrounding city. It's not even close. You have Nashville to the West and Atlanta to the south. Charlotte isn't that far away. And well, no one from Knoxville chooses to move to Memphis. :P (I say that as a native East Tennesseean stuck out here for the moment.) It's traditionally been a mercantile center and has served as a regional hub of East Tennessee.

Knoxville was recently rated as the most affordable city to live in for new college graduates, and I wouldn't doubt that. There are higher end jobs here, but they aren't as plentiful as in larger population centers. It's really not fair comparing Knoxville to Seattle. For starters, Seattle is home to millions of people. There's essentially no other major city in the Seattle area to compete with. Spokane is a completely different entity on the plains and ages away, and Portland is its own place in another state.

As for Knoxville not being diverse, I'll just call that a plus. I've lived in "diverse" cities. They inevitably entail high levels of racial tension, higher crime rates, a less educated populace, and massive poor populations. Knoxville, thankfully, deals with none of that. Funny Seattle was mentioned, though. Definitely not diverse at all--all white and Asian. But a beautiful city where I just spent a month working...

Don't get me started on diversity. It's probably the single most over-rated statistic I've seen to rate a place. And the only way you could ever create a diverse place in the first place is because at some point in time other populations were extremely homogenous. So live on mountain culture, live on...

I don't know... I've lived in Atlanta, London, Southern California, Charlottesville, Memphis, New Orleans, Chicago, and Seattle... On the whole, I rate Knoxville pretty favorably on that list. The idea of owning a home is a definite reality. The schools are pretty good, unlike Atlanta, California, Chicago, and New Orleans.

For its size of city, I'd say Knoxville is a pretty ideal place to call home.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:29 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Less diverse? How so?

I'm so sick and tired of people who assume that our Appalachian culture, our "country" culture really isn't culture.
Me, too. I always ask people from New York, if you are so culturally diverse where's your bluegrass music radio stations and country cooking restaurants?

Old 09-18-2008, 06:34 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,974,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Me, too. I always ask people from New York, if you are so culturally diverse where's your bluegrass music radio stations and country cooking restaurants?
I love it!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave1961 View Post
I don't like to see all the run down trailer homes and junk surrounding them, scattered all over out in the country areas. I wish Knox County had better zoning laws, so you wouldn't see a $400,000 home next door to a single wide. Doesn't make sense to me. And, what's up with the trampolines??? I've never seen so many homes with trampolines in backyards as I see in Tennessee!
Oh come on. You know as well as anyone else that this is not the case in all of Knox County. If you really want to live in a wealthy enclave surrounded by other McMansions, you can move to Farragut where you won't find any mobile homes or prefabs for miles.

The whining I hear from the wealthy over their "right" not to live near mobile homes is tiring. What about the "right" of those who live in mobile homes to live where they want? It sounds to me that you want zoning laws to "protect" the wealthy while banishing the not-so-wealthy to less desirable areas. Maybe I misunderstood you, but that sure sounds like a very elitist attitude to me, and that's not an attitude that's shared by many people around here. Our "live-and-let-live" mantra here encompasses so many facets of life, and I love it.

I think it's wonderful that most people in East Tennessee don't mind having neighbors of different socio-economic backgrounds.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMartel2 View Post
As for Knoxville not being diverse, I'll just call that a plus.
People self sort these days. You all might be interested in a book called "The Big Sort" by Bill Bishop. It's about the clustering of America into homogeneous communities.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:20 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
Default Ummmm

Ok, here is my take on this kind of line of conversation (no one in particular here) that concerns me.
There seems to be people who were "priced" right out of where they live and are looking to move. There home owners insurance went through the roof as did their taxes, their jobs cut back or gone. So now they start looking at other parts of the country. What do they look for? Low property prices, low taxes, low insurance rates, no state income tax. Boom! They have now pin pointed TN. If they want very low chance of weather incidences, now they pin point East and North East TN. They fall in LOVE with this concept. They have it in their mind that they want a 3 bedroom, two bath, two car garage with a stream running through their two acres that have a unobstructed view of the Smokies. Oh, and they can find that for under $200K......right? And just for good measure, they are going to be smart and rent for a while first, so they want a 3/2 with basement or garage, fenced yard, bring Fido and Fluffy and rent month to month for $600 a month so they can save for that house down payment. And they want that rental in the school zone where they want to eventually buy.
Then they come to look around (if they are smart) and their senses become affronted. Statements start coming: (all general, again I am not really quoting anyone in particular, more of a conglomeration here) "Cars in yards...oh my!, someone should make them get rid of those cars, I don't want to see that." "Where are the fresh seafood stores?" Where are the organic stores?" "Can you give me directions to Cabellas?" " What, I can't shop at Publix anymore? I like that store." "Why aren't there more upscale night spots?" " Where is the diversity?"
"Some of these roads are windy and dangerous" "Why is that mobile home next to that very nice house?" "That mobile home has the best view of the Smokies, what a shame, the land is ruined" " People here talk kind of funny, why can't I understand them?, they MUST be uneducated."
"Oh, I found the best house, but I could smell cows, I could never live there!"
"I need a gated community, I hear there is meth everywhere!" " I can not believe all the stray dogs I see around!, some one should make them confine those dogs and make sure they don't bark after 9:00pm."
"These downtowns should offer more, why don't they?" " I am looking for a job in my field but I laughed at the amount they offered me, it would be a HUGE pay cut and I can't believe I waited 2 months for that interview, I am worth more than that."

I hate to be so blunt, but here it is: Yes, the population is majority white middle class, mostly blue collar. Yes, we have VERY poor people here and you know what, they are nice too! And their families have been here for 10 generations or more. No, we do not have every store chain represented here. We are a land lock state, you will not get fresh seafood you are used to. We are in the foot hills of a major mountain range, the roads are not straight and flat and they never will be. Wages are lower here, period. Sales tax is high and yes, that includes groceries, the state has to get money to run from somewhere.
If you want the property taxes to be left low, don't complain about what you want to see changed because if you get that, yours and everyone else's taxes will be raised. People here have a Southern accent, it does not mean they are not educated. A slower pace of life does not mean simple minded. Bluegrass and Country living IS culture, just not one you might be interested in, doesn't mean it's not here.
Yes, you can own a house here under $100k, but it will not be a 5 minute commute to your job and be in the best school district. Nor will it be a 3/2, 2 car garage on two acres with a stream (heck there might be 5 of those properties per county) that comes with a building guarantee. Yes, you will pay more, lots more for those kind of properties unless you get very, very lucky and you are willing to do the work to fix them.
We did not adhere to the International Building Codes until recently. People have animals here, farm animals that smell and pets.Yes, pot belly pigs and goats can be concidered pets. No, it will not be easy to rent with pets.
These are just some of the realities of life here. If these upset you, then this part of the country may not be right for you.
Oh and they most asked question it seems: "Will I fit in here?" The answer is TOTALLY up to you. If you like it here because of the way it IS and you are open to accepting people the way they are, than yes, you will fit in. If you like it here only because of cost of living and the ability to buy twice the house than where you came from for the same $ and you want every amenity you had before you moved here still, than no, you probably won't fit in because you will be disappointed and for some reason blame that on the people here.
There is no Utopia, Mayberry does not exist.
You can not have huge amenity filled city/town infrastructure AND have low property cost and property taxes. The more zoning laws you want imposed on your neighbors, the more your property taxes will be.

Ok, be mad at me and let me have it, I can take it, but that is the truth, sorry if you were offended by it, but I would hate that someone moved here thinking they could have it all for the price they wanted to pay and the way they want it, or the way they are used to due to where they lived before. It just won't happen. Anywhere.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-18-2008 at 08:00 AM..

Old 09-18-2008, 08:21 AM

811 posts, read 2,010,621 times
mbmouse--

AMEN to that.

As a newbie myself, there have been times when I have had thoughts of "such and such was different in MD" HOWEVER, that being said, TN is HOME to me...and "different" doesn't necessarily mean "wrong" or "bad". For just about everyone, there is going to be SOME thing they liked better/more or maybe were just USED TO, where they were before. Since the moment we moved here, i have never once uttered the words "back "home".
If you are going to move to a new place, you must accept that it is not going to be
a) the same as where you were
b) perfect in every way

No place is. And what exaclty is "perfect", anyway?

I am proud to call TN my home, and Lord-willing, it will be until the day I die.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:36 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Ok, here is my take on this kind of line of conversation (no one in particular here) that concerns me.
There seems to be people who were "priced" right out of where they live and are looking to move. There home owners insurance went through the roof as did their taxes, their jobs cut back or gone. So now they start looking at other parts of the country. What do they look for? Low property prices, low taxes, low insurance rates, no state income tax. Boom! They have now pin pointed TN. If they want very low chance of weather incidences, now they pin point East and North East TN. They fall in LOVE with this concept. They have it in their mind that they want a 3 bedroom, two bath, two car garage with a stream running through their two acres that have a unobstructed view of the Smokies. Oh, and they can find that for under $200K......right? And just for good measure, they are going to be smart and rent for a while first, so they want a 3/2 with basement or garage, fenced yard, bring Fido and Fluffy and rent month to month for $600 a month so they can save for that house down payment. And they want that rental in the school zone where they want to eventually buy.
Then they come to look around (if they are smart) and their senses become affronted. Statements start coming: (all general, again I am not really quoting anyone in particular, more of a conglomeration here) "Cars in yards...oh my!, someone should make them get rid of those cars, I don't want to see that." "Where are the fresh seafood stores?" Where are the organic stores?" "Can you give me directions to Cabellas?" " What, I can't shop at Publix anymore? I like that store." "Why aren't there more upscale night spots?" " Where is the diversity?"
"Some of these roads are windy and dangerous" "Why is that mobile home next to that very nice house?" "That mobile home has the best view of the Smokies, what a shame, the land is ruined" " People here talk kind of funny, why can't I understand them?, they MUST be uneducated."
"Oh, I found the best house, but I could smell cows, I could never live there!"
"I need a gated community, I hear there is meth everywhere!" " I can not believe all the stray dogs I see around!, some one should make them confine those dogs and make sure they don't bark after 9:00pm."
"These downtowns should offer more, why don't they?" " I am looking for a job in my field but I laughed at the amount they offered me, it would be a HUGE pay cut and I can't believe I waited 2 months for that interview, I am worth more than that."

I hate to be so blunt, but here it is: Yes, the population is majority white middle class, mostly blue collar. Yes, we have VERY poor people here and you know what, they are nice too! And their families have been here for 10 generations or more. No, we do not have every store chain represented here. We are a land lock state, you will not get fresh seafood you are used to. We are in the foot hills of a major mountain range, the roads are not straight and flat and they never will be. Wages are lower here, period. Sales tax is high and yes, that includes groceries, the state has to get money to run from somewhere.
If you want the property taxes to be left low, don't complain about what you want to see changed because if you get that, yours and everyone else's taxes will be raised. People here have a Southern accent, it does not mean they are not educated. A slower pace of life does not mean simple minded. Bluegrass and Country living IS culture, just not one you might be interested in, doesn't mean it's not here.
Yes, you can own a house here under $100k, but it will not be a 5 minute commute to your job and be in the best school district. Nor will it be a 3/2, 2 car garage on two acres with a stream (heck there might be 5 of those properties per county) that comes with a building guarantee. Yes, you will pay more, lots more for those kind of properties unless you get very, very lucky and you are willing to do the work to fix them.
We did not adhere to the International Building Codes until recently. People have animals here, farm animals that smell and pets.Yes, pot belly pigs and goats can be concidered pets. No, it will not be easy to rent with pets.
These are just some of the realities of life here. If these upset you, then this part of the country may not be right for you.
Oh and they most asked question it seems: "Will I fit in here?" The answer is TOTALLY up to you. If you like it here because of the way it IS and you are open to accepting people the way they are, than yes, you will fit in. If you like it here only because of cost of living and the ability to buy twice the house than where you came from for the same $ and you want every amenity you had before you moved here still, than no, you probably won't fit in because you will be disappointed and for some reason blame that on the people here.
There is no Utopia, Mayberry does not exist.
You can not have huge amenity filled city/town infrastructure AND have low property cost and property taxes. The more zoning laws you want imposed on your neighbors, the more your property taxes will be.

Ok, be mad at me and let me have it, I can take it, but that is the truth, sorry if you were offended by it, but I would hate that someone moved here thinking they could have it all for the price they wanted to pay and the way they want it, or the way they are used to due to where they lived before. It just won't happen. Anywhere.
Yeah. What she said.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:52 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Wow, LOL! Somebody opened the floodgates up there in Gray, eh, Mouse???

Totally agree with hik's, mouse's, JMT's and gem's posts. And about the person complaining about zoning ordinances in Knox County... that's laughable. Do you not understand how rural Knox County is? Sounds to me like you want to live in some homogenized, gated, sculpted, manicured portion of Farragut - if you want to live in Knoxville at all.

(I just got out of my Appalachian Studies class, so I'm feeling a bit of the "Go Mountain!", too. )

Old 09-18-2008, 09:02 AM

420 posts, read 1,535,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Very, very true. Great post!

(Although if enough people from "away" move to these sorts of spots, it does change. NC (and probably VA) is a very good example of that.)

Old 09-18-2008, 09:03 AM

7,541 posts, read 17,241,244 times
Piedmont, I think that's what we're all afraid of. We definitely do *not* want that to happen to east TN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville