Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 08:19 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
JMT - good points. I think Piedmont was using "diverse" in the PC sense. Diverse is PC-speak for ethnically mixed. And in his/her defense, he did say "as a whole" it was less diverse. I think I would agree with that statement. The less educated part, well I don't really know about that. There are an awful lot of uneducated people everywhere, doesn't make them good or bad.

THE US is in NO danger of running out in any locality.

Old 09-20-2008, 08:50 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,521,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I guess we do sound a bit harpy. And if your complaint (not that it's really a complaint, I know you were just saying you've had better sushi LOL) was the only one we'd ever heard, then we probably would be overreacting horribly.

But to get on here and read 3-4 a day... and hear about it DAILY at our jobs (especially those of us lucky enough to work in retail... I got an earful today from a transplant about a stroller we didn't have in stock. Hello, lady, I don't order our merchandise.)... it gets really old.

For the record, I love sushi. But I guess I'm just a plain old simple eater, cause I really like the sushi you get at Kroger for six bucks.
Me too. I love grocery store sushi better than the restaurants some times. Our Publix here makes brown rice sushi, which is rare in other parts. Brown rice sushi does not spike your sugar as bad.

Yeah, everyone is overreacting a bit (present company excluded)......it's just sushi! Some people here are acting a bit immature. When you can't make a comment about something as innocent as sushi, it's time to find another hobby. People are going to move into the area and they are going to want the conveniences of home so you guys just have to get used to it. Like it or not......you really can't do anything about it except complain about it on boards like this one and attack innocent sushi lovers

Old 09-20-2008, 08:55 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
Me too. I love grocery store sushi better than the restaurants some times. Our Publix here makes brown rice sushi, which is rare in other parts. Brown rice sushi does not spike your sugar as bad.

Yeah, everyone is overreacting a bit (present company excluded)......it's just sushi! Some people here are acting a bit immature. When you can't make a comment about something as innocent as sushi, it's time to find another hobby. People are going to move into the area and they are going to want the conveniences of home so you guys just have to get used to it. Like it or not......you really can't do anything about it except complain about it on boards like this one and attack innocent sushi lovers
You think so? Well, bless your little heart.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
Quote:

I think you are missing the point here. It is not about the sushi. It is really about the disrespect and disregard shown to the people who live in and had a hand in creating the city/town before a "new comer" moves in.
If you (used as a general term here) want to move to a new location and you do not respect/appreciate the area and people for who they are and what the town is, you will be seen as an unwanted outsider and that has nothing to do with where you come from but how you are treating them and the area.
And if someone moves into a smaller TN town thinking they are going to insist on getting all of those "conveniences of home" in those new towns, just try to go into these city offices to get that ball rolling on that insistence and find out how quick you will get rolled right out their door.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:07 AM

You think so? Well, bless your little heart.

It's true, we have the same problem with the Canadians that come to Florida in the winter but are we rude to them or slam our buggies into theirs at the grocery store. No, we just smile and go on our merry way. Change is inevitable and some people you appreciate (like those who contribute to your local economy) and some people you don't appreciate (like those who complain but may have a valid point). All in all, we have to suck it up and get along. It's still a free country and people are free to move about and go where they want to. If I don't like the cuisine in one area, I will go to another that I do like. Same with everyone else. You can't tell me that all of you like every single restaurant that you have eaten at in East TN and have never complained about the service or an item on the menu.

Last edited by MrsMtnsOnTheMind; 09-20-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 09-20-2008, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
I think you are missing the point here. It is not about the sushi. It is really about the disrespect and disregard shown to the people who live in and had a hand in creating the city/town before a "new comer" moves in.
If you (used as a general term here) want to move to a new location and you do not respect/appreciate the area and people for who they are and what the town is, you will be seen as an unwanted outsider and that has nothing to do with where you come from but how you are treating them and the area.
I can respect an area, culture, etc., with out liking EVERYTHING about it. You and others here do not like EVERYTHING about your area. I know because I have heard the complaints for a year now. You were once a new comer yourself......are you saying that you had absolutely no complaints about ANYTHING when you moved there and still have no complaints? You like every single restaurant, every single tax you pay, every single cashier, every single bill, every single politician, every single criminal, every single red light, every single pot hole. Be honest with yourself. According to your own logic, if you don't like absolutely everything about the area, then you are disrespecting it. Are you?

Old 09-20-2008, 09:29 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
It isn't that everyone likes everything it; is about respect and rubbing peoples faces in it. That kind of thing. Don't take anything here personally; it really isn't all about you. Don't feel as if you need to defend all that have come before you. You'll be welcome here just like everyone else we have always tried to help and show kindness to. We will always continue to do that. It's who we are and what we do.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:34 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,325,687 times
Quote:
I can respect an area, culture, etc., with out liking EVERYTHING about it. You and others here do not like EVERYTHING about your area. I know because I have heard the complaints for a year now. You were once a new comer yourself......are you saying that you had absolutely no complaints about ANYTHING when you moved there and still have no complaints? You like every single restaurant, every single tax you pay, every single cashier, every single bill, every single politician, every single criminal, every single red light, every single pot hole. Be honest with yourself. According to your own logic, if you don't like absolutely everything about the area, then you are disrespecting it. Are you?
No, again, I think you are missing the point. This thread started out with "what don't you like about the area?" which led to "lack of culture and diversity" which was led to the explanation of "just because it is not your definition of "culture" doesn't mean it isn't culture." and " Just because it isn't your way of thinking does not mean the people are uneducated".
Which all together led to the explanation of " if you are looking for a new location which is just like what you are leaving with a cheaper price tag, you will not find it and not be happy here".
Moderator cut: cut
Never, anywhere in this thread, or any other did anyone say this state is perfect and you must love everything about it or you won't be happy here.
The repeating point, is make sure you like it here for what it is, not what you can turn it into.

Last edited by mbmouse; 09-21-2008 at 08:57 PM.. Reason: cut out the direct part.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,300,403 times
Quote:
It's still a free country and people are free to move about and go where they want to.
With the state of the economy, that may be easier said than done.

Old 09-20-2008, 05:58 PM

811 posts, read 2,010,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Lord have mercy, I can't rep ya. Shoot!
But I could....and I did!

well said, SMG!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville