Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 08:04 AM

9,439 posts, read 5,201,523 times

Advertisements

Tellico has been recommended to me as a place to check out. My main concern is probably that I cannot afford a home there and, secondly, too many out of staters (LOL, like me) moving there, and possibly inflating prices.
Anyone have any insight on that?

I'd probably want something much more rural anyway, but I am willing to look at anything to start with. I like the looks of Tellico, and the concept, but not sure my husband will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 08:06 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Yes, prices have really rocketed up in the last 2 years or so. Homes today start around $365K and there are darn few for sale in that $365-400K range. They sell in hours once listed. We've been discovered by the rest of the world, and the number of new smaller homes that are being thrown up to meet the demand is a bit of a shock to the current residents. It's a wonderful place to live, and others want to live here too, so construction is booming.

There are other neighborhoods surrounding the lake, and in the general area. Prices in the Knoxville area have climbed too, and again there is far more demand than supply.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Yes, prices have really rocketed up in the last 2 years or so. Homes today start around $365K and there are darn few for sale in that $365-400K range. They sell in hours once listed. We've been discovered by the rest of the world, and the number of new smaller homes that are being thrown up to meet the demand is a bit of a shock to the current residents. It's a wonderful place to live, and others want to live here too, so construction is booming.

There are other neighborhoods surrounding the lake, and in the general area. Prices in the Knoxville area have climbed too, and again there is far more demand than supply.
I can only imagine. If I lived there I'd feel the same way. I even feel that way here in VT, but figure, perhaps cynically, that once these 'other' folks live through a long, frigid winter, and see that there are not that many big city amenities, they'll leave.

We should have made our move a few years back when we were there but were not in agreement and I was still working. We can go now.
We'll be back in July to upper east TN and we're probably going to look around the Brevard, NC area, too, because we liked it, but we figure it probably also would have grown alot since then. I'm personally much more partial to TN.

I'm not a big fan of those large 'engineered' communities (what are they actually called) although on some levels I like the concept....everything in one place...'activities,' even clinics in some places, but we'd both rather be off by ourselves.

Might also see if purchasing a small piece of property might work, just property, and figure out a way to get out there for the winter months (tiny house?) although for financial and other reasons I'd like to get outta VT.

But we are not wealthy, and I'm worried we are going to be priced out of any safe, quiet areas.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:21 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I can only imagine. If I lived there I'd feel the same way. I even feel that way here in VT, but figure, perhaps cynically, that once these 'other' folks live through a long, frigid winter, and see that there are not that many big city amenities, they'll leave.

We should have made our move a few years back when we were there but were not in agreement and I was still working. We can go now.
We'll be back in July to upper east TN and we're probably going to look around the Brevard, NC area, too, because we liked it, but we figure it probably also would have grown alot since then. I'm personally much more partial to TN.

I'm not a big fan of those large 'engineered' communities (what are they actually called) although on some levels I like the concept....everything in one place...'activities,' even clinics in some places, but we'd both rather be off by ourselves.

Might also see if purchasing a small piece of property might work, just property, and figure out a way to get out there for the winter months (tiny house?) although for financial and other reasons I'd like to get outta VT.

But we are not wealthy, and I'm worried we are going to be priced out of any safe, quiet areas.
Two points: 1. Tellico Village is a large planned development. 2. Real estate prices are likely going to be more reasonable here than in the Brevard area.

Old 01-25-2022, 11:59 AM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
I had to look up Brevard NC because I'd never heard of it. It looks like it's quite small. We wanted to make sure we had access to larger medical facilities and shopping than the Brevard area would provide. It's 25 miles to Asheville, the closest city, and even that is a pretty small city (approx 50K residents). We looked at Asheville, but found the home prices (even then, back in 2012) were almost as high as our home in CA (CA prices have gone back up since then), and the property taxes were about the same as CA too. You might pay more for a home in TN, but then save on income (no income tax in TN) and property taxes, so the costs sort of cancel each other out.

Old 01-25-2022, 01:25 PM

6,626 posts, read 4,293,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I had to look up Brevard NC because I'd never heard of it. It looks like it's quite small. We wanted to make sure we had access to larger medical facilities and shopping than the Brevard area would provide. It's 25 miles to Asheville, the closest city, and even that is a pretty small city (approx 50K residents). We looked at Asheville, but found the home prices (even then, back in 2012) were almost as high as our home in CA (CA prices have gone back up since then), and the property taxes were about the same as CA too. You might pay more for a home in TN, but then save on income (no income tax in TN) and property taxes, so the costs sort of cancel each other out.
Completely different. Tellico Village is more isolated and not in the mountains and about 35 miles to Knoxville. Brevard to Asheville is about the same distance, but only 20 miles to Hendersonville. The Hendersonville/Flat Rock area has about 20,000 people and 2 hospitals,, none on par with UT, but pretty good. One is in the UNC system. Asheville has a population near 100,000 people and a large hospital - Mission. Brevard is a small mountain town of about 8,000 people and has a small regional hospital. Retail and restaurants are good in the Brevard/Asheville/Hendersonville areas. In general, home prices are high in these areas. It’s relative, but property taxes are fairly reasonable.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Two points: 1. Tellico Village is a large planned development. 2. Real estate prices are likely going to be more reasonable here than in the Brevard area.
I like the concept of a planned development with everything you need as part of the village, but in addition to home prices (info I sent for had them at $499 to start) there are fees for everything else, too.
Fairfield Glades is another community, but I don't have current prices there.

Old 01-28-2022, 02:36 PM

176 posts, read 220,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I like the concept of a planned development with everything you need as part of the village, but in addition to home prices (info I sent for had them at $499 to start) there are fees for everything else, too.
Fairfield Glades is another community, but I don't have current prices there.
Home prices in either Tellico Village or Fairfield Glade are easy find, use Redfin or any other real estate app/website. Tellico Village is not a home builder. There is no sales office. The homes are either resales, spec homes built by builders, or lots purchased by private persons and then a builder hired to construct on the lot.

HTH

Old 03-18-2022, 01:45 PM

13 posts, read 19,698 times
We moved here 2 years ago and are looking to get out. It is not the fairy wonderland you think it is. There has been an insane amount of building going on and the once quiet and wooded neighborhoods are beginning to look like a tract home neighborhood with so many cheaply built craftsman style homes. The Wellness Center is poorly managed and if you are a lap swimmer you have extremely limited times to do so. The majority of the time is used for non swimming activities like water aerobics and other nonsense classes. This part of TN does not have any other reasonable options for swimmers. With the influx of new homes the amenities here will feel the pinch.

Politically if you are not a conservative plan on being ostracized. There is a nasty undercurrent of racism (although usually spoken in hush tones so as not to appear to be racist) and not surprising given the lack of diversity. An African American family was targeted by vandals with a hate crime of spray painting racial slurs on their garage.

Crime does occur here although again people want to maintain the fairy land concept and don’t talk about it. Our neighbors had their new jet ski stolen off their docks, cars have been broken into, porch pirates around the holidays etc.

Tellico is essentially in the country…plan to spend 45 min to get to any type of retail mall. The few restaurants in the Village are lack luster and again plan to drive if you like to dine out. Reputable hospitals are also 45 min away. Being so far away from civilization sometimes means paying a higher service call for services.

People are no more or less friendly here than anywhere else. There are more people here from the suburbs of Chicago, Ohio, and recently California. I think the joke is that it’s called Chicago South or something like that.

If you don’t have a home with a dock getting a slip is a matter of waiting for your number to come up on the waiting list, I’m told it can be years.

My advice to anyone thinking of moving here is to really investigate thoroughly…I’m sorry we didn’t. The only plus is that our home has increased in value by over 50% in just 2 years!. It’d a good time to sell but I feel sorry for the people buying when the market here is over inflated.

Old 03-18-2022, 03:15 PM

176 posts, read 220,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolce_Vita View Post
We moved here 2 years ago and are looking to get out. It is not the fairy wonderland you think it is. You won't have to look far to leave Tellico Village, there are several people a week begging on the FB and ND groups for ANY info on houses coming to market so they don't miss out or end up 12th in line. There has been an insane amount of building going on and the once quiet and wooded neighborhoods are beginning to look like a tract home neighborhood with so many cheaply built craftsman style homes. I wouldn't go so far as to say tract homes, but many builders do use similar "farmhouse styled" floor plans and elevations. But correct, there is MUCH building going on. Cheaply is an opinion or based on your subjective history. If you come from somewhere like Santa Ana where a small condo in a condo building in a barrio area starts at$600K, these are veritable mansions in an exclusive area. If you are used to a mega-thousand square foot, all-brick house with three fireplaces and 6 bedrooms "up north" then yes, they are cheaply built. The Wellness Center is poorly managed and if you are a lap swimmer you have extremely limited times to do so. How nice they offer a rec center, a wellness center, an in-community independent and skilled nursing housing, and a respite day-care facility. Many places have none of the above. The majority of the time is used for non swimming activities like water aerobics and other nonsense classes. Your opinion, Mrs CS enjoys water aerobics. This part of TN does not have any other reasonable options for swimmers. You mean besides the 16,000 acre lake attached to the 635 mile river? With the influx of new homes the amenities here will feel the pinch.

Politically if you are not a conservative plan on being ostracized. There are PLENTY of blue areas that make the red folks feel ostracized. I'm thinking the entire states of IL, CA, OR, WA, CT, NY, NJ, etc. Sorry the last bastion or two of conservative thoughts threaten and bother you so. There is a nasty undercurrent of racism (although usually spoken in hush tones so as not to appear to be racist) and not surprising given the lack of diversity. We, a mixed race and well-educated couple, have not experienced that at all. If you are not a minority yourself, no one appreciates you feeling offended on our behalf as if we don't know what we have experienced or know, like we are not intelligent enough to know we are being offended and you have to stand up for us. I would call that behavior, treating someone differently because of their color as racist. Might wanna introspect on that a bit. An African American family was targeted by vandals with a hate crime of spray painting racial slurs on their garage. I have heard a rumor about that. I have met the couple on a few occasions, but it has been a while so I don't know if this is true or not. If it is, it is heartbreaking and infuriating. Tellico Village, and the other largely retirement-aged areas catering to well-off northerners (RB, TN, WR, FG, etc.) are largely islands in rural counties. Right or wrong, there will be an element of the surrounding population that may be lesser educated, less diverse, and with fewer horizon-broadening experiences. That should not have been earth shattering information to you when you moved to the rural south.

Crime does occur here although again people want to maintain the fairy land concept and don’t talk about it. Our neighbors had their new jet ski stolen off their docks, cars have been broken into, porch pirates around the holidays etc. Tellico Village is surrounded by Appalachia, well known and documented for its sometimes severe poverty and substance abuse issues. Despite what the "Legalize Drugs" dogma folks say, drug use and crime is directly related. Did you spend much time here doing your due diligence before you purchased two years ago, or were you wearing fairyland rose glasses when you visited?

Tellico is essentially in the country…plan to spend 45 min to get to any type of retail mall. Please don't exaggerate. Some well known retail is only 15 minutes away (Lenoir City), much more is 30-40 minutes away (Turkey Creek) and we get from our door to parked on Gay St. in Downtown Knoxville in 45. Perhaps you are on the very south end of the Village - then yes, your trips will be lengthened, but from the middle of TV, the above times I mentioned are reasonably accurate. The few restaurants in the Village are lack luster and again plan to drive if you like to dine out. I concur the worst part, IMHO, of living in this part of the world, much less Tellico Village, is the availability of dining options and quality. Italian like you'd get in Chicago or NY, or Mexican like you'd get in SoCal are sadly very lacking. Reputable hospitals are also 45 min away. Being so far away from civilization sometimes means paying a higher service call for services.

People are no more or less friendly here than anywhere else. Wanna bet? Have you lived in NYC or LA? There are more people here from the suburbs of Chicago, Ohio, and recently California. I think the joke is that it’s called Chicago South or something like that.

If you don’t have a home with a dock getting a slip is a matter of waiting for your number to come up on the waiting list, I’m told Inadmissable, hearsay it can be years. That is a very new development. "Years" is an exaggeration. Until the pandemic and the mass flight from more, ummmm, tax-heavy regions, there was no wait for a slip at all. This is a by-product of the above mentioned mass flight from areas where people eventually voted for that area to become that which it became.

My advice to anyone thinking of moving here is to really investigate thoroughly…I’m sorry we didn’t. Ahhh, so this unhappiness of yours is, in fact, due to your lack of due diligence. The term Caveat Emptor applies no matter where you purchase. The only plus is that our home has increased in value by over 50% in just 2 years!. It’d a good time to sell but I feel sorry for the people buying when the market here is over inflated.
See responses, in red, embedded in the original quoted post above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville