Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 10:04 AM

52 posts, read 182,368 times

Advertisements

Cost of Living...

I'm not from Atlanta nor have I been in Atlanta. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Just kidding I recently moved from a small county near Oak Ridge to Chattanooga close to downtown.

I noticed a change in cost of living, but mostly in a good way. My choices for internet providers and television were vast which gave me the ability to find the best deal. I also have found that rental rates compared between Oak Ridge and Chattanooga are fairly similar. In Oak Ridge it was a bit cheaper, but you have to trade certain things.

Anyway going from state to state can have dramatic impacts. Sure we have no state income tax, but we do have state sales tax which also gets hit sometimes with city/county taxes depending on where you are (which is a crock) so you do have to do some foot homework where you go to locations (if feasible) and check around.

Knoxville is an interesting location because depending on what part you're in the changes are dramatic. Living in North Knoxville you get a lot more bang for the buck compared to the tourist trap/ultra pricey west knoxville.

So unfortunately only the people in the places can really give you accurate information these "cost of living" calculators websites offer take things into account they may not be a part of your move. Such as home owning and property taxes...

Which by the way my parents have about 18 rural acres with a large garage (1500 or so square feet) and a lovely rancher that's 2400 square feet with a huge pond and barn too. And they pay about 1200 property taxes a year compared to the 4500 mentioned earlier in this thread in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 10:15 AM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foust Family View Post
Haven't been back here in quite some time!! Began working in Knoxville again after this post and do like that better, at least a LITTLE more diversity. that being said; we are moving ASAP away from here. Agree that this area can certainly fit the mold for some, but we cannot wait to find our own utopia far far away.

Riiiight, finding utopia. Let everyone know when you find it. It doesn't exist on planet earth.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,351,428 times
Quote:
Haven't been back here in quite some time!! Began working in Knoxville again after this post and do like that better, at least a LITTLE more diversity. that being said; we are moving ASAP away from here. Agree that this area can certainly fit the mold for some, but we cannot wait to find our own utopia far far away.
Utopia???Good luck with that.
Bless your heart.

Old 06-06-2011, 01:03 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
I love the downtown area of Knoxville. It's just wonderful. The people are so incredibly friendly and it is incredibly hip and fun but in a down-to-earth way.

I've known a few people that live in Maryville and don't care for it. My MIL has a very good friend who hails from there and he swears it is very close-knit but not welcoming to outsiders. I don't spend enough time there to have an opinion. I know a couple of people on this forum are transplants and love it.

My MIL has stayed in both places, albeit not for any length of time. She thought people were more friendly in Knoxville, even though she was with a Maryville native the entire time. She likes Knoxville more.

To get this back on track, Tennessee is now 47th in the country for tax burden and our unemployment rate is the lowest of the state's largest MSAs. It's been hovering in the 7 percent range, lately. Not stellar but we are clearly not hard-hit by the recession.

COL is crazy low. Period.

I don't know. I'm at the point where Knoxville has grown on me to the point that it has really become my utopia. I have never been so in love with a place. But I'm wondering if I should start keeping quiet on this forum. It might be time to shut the gate.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:12 PM

4,704 posts, read 25,310,197 times
I found it. It was one of my favorite episodes.
"A Stop at Willoughby" is an episode of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone.
If you haven't seen it, just Google this and you will get an idea of what its about.

Utopia is what you make of it.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:46 PM

374 posts, read 946,233 times
Yes, I also think there is a Utopia. Well, many Utopias, actually because my Utopia may not be yours, and vice versa. And, unfortunately, some will search for Utopia their entire lives and never find it. Mostly, for those I think they must find their "inner Utopia" first and the Utopia(s) where they reside will follow...

Old 06-08-2011, 05:07 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,251,943 times
Hey, y'all- just because the Foust family didn't find what they are looking for, that doesn't make them naive or something to ridicule.
Yes, Utopia is a state of mind, but the state of residence can weigh heavily in that equation too. We found our Utopia, with a few personal snags. We tried it out for a while but circumstances got in the way. When things change a bit, we'll go back. Certainly not the fault of the location- any move is going to require compromise. Only the OP can decide where they wish to bloom when planted. Making fun of them because they wish to move on and look for the place that makes them happy just isn't cool.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:35 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,282,099 times
Very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Gal now View Post
Yes, I also think there is a Utopia. Well, many Utopias, actually because my Utopia may not be yours, and vice versa. And, unfortunately, some will search for Utopia their entire lives and never find it. Mostly, for those I think they must find their "inner Utopia" first and the Utopia(s) where they reside will follow...

Old 06-08-2011, 11:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,311,326 times
Quote:
Yes, utopia does exist, it just certainly isn't here for me! AND thank you pam and bill for blessing my heart, lol. I know what that means, after you say it then you say, what a dummy!!! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
FYI. Pam is from New York.

I see the Fousts are moving to Seattle in July. Good luck to them with that cost of living thing.

Old 06-13-2011, 10:36 PM

66 posts, read 153,019 times
*yawn*

Social Security income is taxed in some states. Laws vary from state to state as to how much you have to earn before that income is taxed. Typically it's not high enough to be taxed in most states, however.

Property taxes in the majority of TN counties are significantly lower than comparable properties in other states for two reasons: (a) the tax rate is lower, (b) the value of the property is lower in TN.

Sales taxes are higher in TN, and include groceries. That may come as a shock to some. Ordering online may not be the answer though, since many states require what's called a Use Tax when you purchase something for which sales tax was not paid in any state. Basically, you file the value of the item(s) and calculate the local tax rate, then write a check at the end of the year.

And now for my OT contribution to the thread: An angry squirrel is capable of chasing deer away from bird seed, and will often do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville