Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 06:01 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times

Advertisements

This is the press release announcing the new website:

45 Million U.S. Baby Boomers Getting Ready to Retire

In the press release is an actual link to the website. Keep in mind their criteria for "best" may not match your personal criteria for 'best." But, since Maryville made the Top 21 list, I'm mentioning it here.

I see Asheville, NC on the list and it makes me go hmmmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 06:08 AM

16,177 posts, read 32,501,220 times
Thanks Laura. She hit a little low on the tax rate huh? I wish I was paying 7.25% on groceries! Best Boomer Towns

The Foothills Fall Festival she renamed the Autumn Harvest Crafts Fair.

Ok, I'll quit nitpicking now.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
A lot of those baby boomers have now postponed their retirement plans, since their 401K's took a major hit. They can't sell their homes either, since they now owe more than they are worth. So I wouldn't worry too much about the flood of retirees for a couple of years.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:58 AM

7,542 posts, read 17,238,441 times
Yes, one of the only good things about the economic downturn (aside from cheaper gas) is the mitigating effect that it has had on retirees moving here. (No hard data to back that up, of course.) I like growth but don't want to see anywhere in east TN turn into a mini Florida.

Old 02-04-2009, 05:30 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,350,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
This is the press release announcing the new website:

45 Million U.S. Baby Boomers Getting Ready to Retire

In the press release is an actual link to the website. Keep in mind their criteria for "best" may not match your personal criteria for 'best." But, since Maryville made the Top 21 list, I'm mentioning it here.

I see Asheville, NC on the list and it makes me go hmmmm.
Laura,
My reaction to Asheville,NC is even harsher then your HMMMMMMMMM. But I agree with you.
Pam

Old 02-04-2009, 07:54 AM

391 posts, read 1,359,616 times
A couple points from me on the whole subject. Previously, we were seeing a trend in a younger retirement age, as people were pushing the "work hard, play later" lifestyle and pushing for early retriement. As Shadow has stated, given the economic situation with 401's, layoffs, and reduced hours and benefit payouts, I suspect the retirement age has taken a dramatic turn for a much higher average retirement age.

As far as selling homes is concerned, I don't believe that's as much of a concern as people tend to think IMO. Typically, for a true retiree, a large average have lived in the same home for quite some time, and have paid off a large sum amount, all, or just enough of their mortgage payment to still make a beneficial move. The housing market has really affected those that have purchased in the last ten years or under, and with a depreciated home their balance and current value can be askewed. Also, certain markets (FL,CA,etc) are affected much more than other areas, where retiring folk haven't seen much of a depreciation. Couple that 15-20 years of paying down their house, and many can still have an advantageous sell of their home, as they can afford to take market value on their home, since their original purchase price 15-20 years ago has drastically appreciated until last year. But everywhere is different, so just thoughts...

As far as the article is concerned, a few of the cities made me raise my eyebrow. For one...Austin, TX. It is such a music, art, and business inspired town, I wouldn't have viewed it as a hot spot for retirees. When I was there it seemed much more of an artsy, young professional culture, with great venues, brilliant cuisine, and a great thriving new business economy. Of course, these were the things I went there for (Austin City Limits concerts), so I guess you can often see what you look for. I know there is a lot of lakes and activities there, but still seemed a younger crowd to me. A bit like Asheville with the diverse cultures and lifestyles as well.

Athens, GA was another. Seemed like such a typical college town with UGA. Was a lot of fun, and I'll actually be there Saturday, but doesn't seem like a place I would like to retire to. But, great to see Maryville on there (speaking from a personal and professional point of view!). But for all locals, I wouldn't be afraid of turning it into another Del Boca Vista, just doesn't seem a fit. Although nearby, I can see Tellico continuing to have a more true retirement community feel. Anyone with different experiences or opinions of these towns feel free to comment, as I said, you can often see what you look for when visiting somewhere. My two cents...

Old 02-05-2009, 07:31 AM
mmw

38 posts, read 120,994 times
Default Maryville named in Top 20

Just thought everyone may find this of interest . . .

According to Best Boomer Town (www.bestboomertown.com) Maryville was named in the " 2009 Best Places To Thrive " top 20.

Based on the following key criteria: excellent health care, university, airport access, fine dining, low crime, cultural activities, beautiful weather, active lifestyle, average cost of living and a range of home sizes and prices.

The team at Best Boomer Towns has gathered research from AARP, DEL WEBB, Money, CNN, Wall Street Journal and local Chambers of Commerce.

Yeah Maryville! (hoping to make this town my new home come summer!)

Old 02-06-2009, 09:41 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Sold View Post
As far as the article is concerned, a few of the cities made me raise my eyebrow. For one...Austin, TX. ...
My experience with retirement publications is whatever developer advertises with them is a Top Retirement Location. They are, in my opinion, overfocused on the upper middle class retiree (because so is the developer) and typically on the urban mentality as to what is desirable for retirement. I think it is because the people who write such articles are urban folks and their own biases (likes and dislikes) slant their opinions about desirable amenities and activities.

I'm sure you have read the retirement articles about how this place or that place is great for retirement because it's near some golf course, dockside restaurants, symphony orchestra, university teaching hospital, art galleries/museums, coffee houses. Have you every read any positive retirement articles about a place because there is great hunting in the area, 3 bowling alleys, some great State Parks, a couple of ballfields, a racetrack (cars), bluegrass concerts, two Wal-Marts, some really great diners or barbecue joints and a hospital where there aren't a lot of students practicing on you?

Urban bias.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:45 AM

391 posts, read 1,359,616 times
Quote:
great hunting in the area, 3 bowling alleys, some great State Parks, a couple of ballfields, a racetrack (cars), bluegrass concerts, two Wal-Marts, some really great diners or barbecue joints and a hospital where there aren't a lot of students practicing on you?
Very good points on urban bias Laura. I have often thought that publication advertisement is money based return on investment marketing and not a true representation of lifestyle likes. Enough stats can always be contorted to make a downtown sound like an outdoor park...you basically just summed up every key point to my retirement destination (in many,many years) with the hunting, bowling, concerts, and diners!

Old 02-07-2009, 11:17 AM

1,113 posts, read 2,520,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
Yes, one of the only good things about the economic downturn (aside from cheaper gas) is the mitigating effect that it has had on retirees moving here. (No hard data to back that up, of course.) I like growth but don't want to see anywhere in east TN turn into a mini Florida.
Please don't tell me they are all going to stay here in Florida

That's it.....I am moving for sure now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville