Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 05:11 PM

730 posts, read 1,917,728 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting in April with the intent to move to either the Knoxville or Chattanooga area. Right now it is hard to decide which so a couple of weeks will be spent in both areas.

My hobby (and business) is High Performance Cars.

How is Knoxville for Car related activities, shows, racing, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,318,181 times
Not sure about Knoxville specifically, the locals I am sure will chime in soon. But as far as cars and East TN as a whole, people are VERY much into their cars. I mean this is NASCAR country after all. (I am about a 10 minute drive to Bristol, so I know when the traffic gets thick, it is race time.) All spring, summer and fall at least one or two towns/cities in the region has a car show of some sort going on about every weekend. I do not think you will have any issues about finding car enthusiast, make and model clubs of all kinds all around this region.
Hope that helps.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:08 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
I know they have a couple of big car shows in the Pigeon Forge area and several throughout the year up in Bristol at the BMS track. There are also numerous "cruise ins" for old cars in general (does not have to be show car condition) in several places in the Tri-Cities throughout the year.... especially March-October.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Does anyone know about the drive in theaters? I have heard that some still exist and have cruise in nights?

Old 02-16-2009, 09:54 PM

102 posts, read 429,822 times
There's something going on over in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg almost every weekend during warm months. One of the biggest rod runs is in April or May. Also, there is a great cruise in at Foothills Mall in Maryville every Friday evening. Very informal and great place to meet other car enthusiasts, and its' FREE!

Old 02-16-2009, 10:06 PM

84 posts, read 291,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
I will be visiting in April with the intent to move to either the Knoxville or Chattanooga area. Right now it is hard to decide which so a couple of weeks will be spent in both areas.

My hobby (and business) is High Performance Cars.

How is Knoxville for Car related activities, shows, racing, etc?
One activity you may be interested in is Knoxville Cars and Coffee.

On the first Saturday of every other month (I think), owners of high-end cars gather at 227 Sherway Road in Knoxville for what they call "Cars and Coffee." Here's some pics of the January Cars and Coffee: (spectators are always welcome)

Knoxville, TN Cars and Coffee January 3rd - a set on Flickr

BMW, Ferrari, Porsche...you name it.

The next meet is scheduled for March 7th I think...but don't quote me on that.

I always attend the Cars and Coffee at Nashville. I'm a huge car enthusiast, especially exotics...it's always a blast for me Let me know if you need any more info!

EDIT: And here's the pics from the November meet, if you're interested:

http://flickr.com/photos/connorgt3/s...7608770710149/

Old 02-16-2009, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelander View Post
One activity you may be interested in is Knoxville Cars and Coffee.

On the first Saturday of every other month (I think), owners of high-end cars gather at 227 Sherway Road in Knoxville for what they call "Cars and Coffee." Here's some pics of the January Cars and Coffee: (spectators are always welcome)

Knoxville, TN Cars and Coffee January 3rd - a set on Flickr

BMW, Ferrari, Porsche...you name it.

The next meet is scheduled for March 7th I think...but don't quote me on that.

I always attend the Cars and Coffee at Nashville. I'm a huge car enthusiast, especially exotics...it's always a blast for me Let me know if you need any more info!

EDIT: And here's the pics from the November meet, if you're interested:

Knoxville Cars and Coffee, November 8th, 2008 - a set on Flickr
Thanks,

The cars are out of my league (or budget)

but it looks like fun.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:31 AM

394 posts, read 794,363 times
Quote:
Thanks,

The cars are out of my league (or budget)

but it looks like fun.
Don't let the high end cars scare you off. There were at least 3 Miatas at the January meet. These are "car people" and (if they're like the folks up here, which is what I hear) not snobs.

Here's a vid from the January meet:
YouTube - Cars and coffee . VW Bugs to Ferraris. Good starting point to meet other car people and find other meets and clubs.

The Knoxville area is blessed with an abundance of entertaining driving roads.

Old 02-18-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC20853 View Post
Don't let the high end cars scare you off. There were at least 3 Miatas at the January meet. These are "car people" and (if they're like the folks up here, which is what I hear) not snobs.

Here's a vid from the January meet:
YouTube - Cars and coffee . VW Bugs to Ferraris. Good starting point to meet other car people and find other meets and clubs.

The Knoxville area is blessed with an abundance of entertaining driving roads.
I am a bit torn.

I drag race so having Seymour close is nice. I spoke to the owner and he seems like a real nice guy.

I also want a road car, like a Miata or similar, so at worst I will need a bigger garage.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:23 AM

186 posts, read 485,695 times
Quote:
I am a bit torn.

I drag race so having Seymour close is nice. I spoke to the owner and he seems like a real nice guy.

I also want a road car, like a Miata or similar, so at worst I will need a bigger garage.
There's an 1/8 mile dragstrip in Maynardville called Knoxville Dragway. Maynardville is about 25 minutes north of Knoxville. Then of course there's Thunder Valley in Bristol, which is the nearest 1/4 mile track.
What kind of drag car do you have? I've got a '73 Plymouth Duster with a blown 528" Hemi, a street 'n strip car. I plan on moving to Knoxville next year.

Last edited by dave1961; 02-21-2009 at 12:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Knoxville